Should Jayson Werth be plan B?

VAfan

It is obvious the Sox are trying to sign Konerko, now that Dunn is in hand. And I think that's a fine choice, unless Konerko is looking for a 4 year deal. Two years with an option would be ideal. Perhaps 3 years would be the compromise solution.

But I wonder if the Sox would be better off with Jayson Werth instead of Konerko. I love Paulie, but from a pure baseball perspective, what would be better?

Werth would give us a plus right fielder. His offense has improved each of the last 4 years. He's 31 instead of 34, which means we'd be getting years with the potential for upside, and much less potential for a slide. Konerko has had injury issues in the past, and is slow as molasses. Werth can actually steal a base, and almost never gets caught.

With Werth in RF, Dunn would play 1B, and Quentin would DH. That make it easier to keep him healthy. He could play LF occasionally.

What I don't know is how much Werth is demanding. He made only $7.5 mill last year, so he'll surely want a big raise. But if he came at the same price as Paulie, which would make for a better team?

(Who would back up 1B? Teahan could, as could Viciedo.)

Werth's agent is Scott Boras. That may well end this piece of speculation.

Edited by VAfan

QUOTE (VAfan @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
It is obvious the Sox are trying to sign Konerko, now that Dunn is in hand. And I think that's a fine choice, unless Konerko is looking for a 4 year deal. Two years with an option would be ideal. Perhaps 3 years would be the compromise solution.

But I wonder if the Sox would be better off with Jayson Werth instead of Konerko. I love Paulie, but from a pure baseball perspective, what would be better?

Werth would give us a plus right fielder. His offense has improved each of the last 4 years. He's 31 instead of 34, which means we'd be getting years with the potential for upside, and much less potential for a slide. Konerko has had injury issues in the past, and is slow as molasses. Werth can actually steal a base, and almost never gets caught.

With Werth in RF, Dunn would play 1B, and Quentin would DH. That make it easier to keep him healthy. He could play LF occasionally.

What I don't know is how much Werth is demanding. He made only $7.5 mill last year, so he'll surely want a big raise. But if he came at the same price as Paulie, which would make for a better team?

(Who would back up 1B? Teahan could, as could Viciedo.)

Werth would be in RF, Dunn at DH, and Viciedo would be 1B. Quentin won't be on this team if we get a right fielder.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 01:14 AM)
From the rumors I have seen, it sounds like Werth is gonna get somewhere around 5 years, $75-$80 million. If thats the case, then the Sox would definitely be better off with Konerko. Do not want to spend that much money on Werth.

I would agree that at that level, Werth would be beyond the Sox means.

Kenny definitely alluded to the fact today that it isn't just about PK. The longer PK takes, the more guys KW potentially loses out on. AJ and AD deferred their money so The Sox could sign somebody else, number 1 choice being Paulie. So I guess we could get anybody- I don't know how to be a Sox fan anymore as I feel guilty being the spoiled kid asking for Jayson Werth on top of Dunn. Paulie too? haha this is nuts.

Werth's going to be simply too expensive (and too many years), same with Crawford.

But KW definitely has a Plan B in mind, namely Lee/Pena/LaRoche...obviously he realized not having a back-up plan at DH when they let Thome go was a complete disaster, and they couldn't fill that hole at the trading deadline either.

Agree that Werth would be the better sign, but not at those figures. For some reason, he scares me a bit coming to the AL. He was originally a big bust and then he really found himself later in his career, not unlike Raul Ibanez.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)
Werth would be in RF, Dunn at DH, and Viciedo would be 1B. Quentin won't be on this team if we get a right fielder.

I don't buy that and have suggested moving Quentin to 1B in the past. Moving to 1B would help Quentin in a lot of ways (namely limiting his exposure to running) and I think he could be a great 1B because he's very athletic, he's smart, and he's big. Of course...

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 02:22 AM)
If we can afford Werth, then Paulie should be plan B.

...there's this. The Sox wouldn't be able to afford Jayson Werth even if he hadn't switched agents, because he'd have gotten $14 per over 5 years, and the Sox couldn't make that kind of commitment to a player who depends on his legs for a lot of his value. Now he's going to get anywhere from $15-18 mill a year over the same 5 or perhaps 6 years, and that's just silly to think the Sox would be involved on that.

The Sox simply can't afford him, nor should they need to. If they can't sign Konerko, they should turn to a cheaper alternative and save the money for the draft, because they'll get 2 extra picks when Konerko leaves.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
They still need OF help, and they're still in need of a bat from the RH side (Ortiz and Gonzalez both being lefties, Youkilis being their righty)

Exactly, and Gonzalez makes relatively little in 2011 with Big Papi off the books in 2012. This probably ends Beltre's Boston career, but Werth has to still be in play there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
Exactly, and Gonzalez makes relatively little in 2011 with Big Papi off the books in 2012. This probably ends Beltre's Boston career, but Werth has to still be in play there.

Not just Papi, but Cameron and Drew off the books. That's another 20+ mil.