The official Winter Meetings trade idea thread

macsandz

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 02:39 AM)
The Chicago White Sox have acquired RHP Joba Chamberlain from the New York Yankeees in exchange for OF Carlos Quentin and P Gregory Infante

While it wouldn't surprise me KW goes after Chamberlain, and he's got to be available, I think Quentin and Infante is way too much to pay. Joba hasn't been very good the last 2 seasons. His ERA was the same as Linebrink's in 2010. He basically was Scott Linebrink in 2010 after a failed experiment as a starter in 2009.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
We all think that payroll addition is there this offseason but what if Rios was on the block for a young speedy CF that could replace Pierre at the top of the order eventually.

Why would a team want to trade a young/speedy, and more importantly cheap, CF for a soon to be 30-year old due $51 million over the next 4 years?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
Quick question: the $15 million dollar trade kicker or whatever the hell it is that would come into play in 2012 if Buehrle is traded would be paid by the Sox or the team trading for him?

It's a clause that says that, if he's traded, a guaranteed 5th year is automatically added to his otherwise 4-year contract... and the salary for that additional year is $15M. So... if he stays with us, there is only one year left on his current contract. But if traded, his contract is two years.

As such, any team interested should expect that they'd be acquiring a pitcher with a two-year contract... the first year (2011) at $14M, and the second year (2012) at $15M.

Frankly, I don't see that clause hurting his trade value. In fact, it could help us since whoever might acquire him would be getting more than a 1-year rental.

Bottom line: We're not on the hook for that money... unless we decide that it's in our best interest to kick in some money to sweeten another team's trade offer.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
It's a clause that says that, if he's traded, a guaranteed 5th year is automatically added to his otherwise 4-year contract... and the salary for that additional year is $15M. So... if he stays with us, there is only one year left on his current contract. But if traded, his contract is two years.

As such, any team interested should expect that they'd be acquiring a pitcher with a two-year contract... the first year (2011) at $14M, and the second year (2012) at $15M.

Frankly, I don't see that clause hurting his trade value. In fact, it could help us since whoever might acquire him would be getting more than a 1-year rental.

Bottom line: We're not on the hook for that money... unless we decide that it's in our best interest to kick in some money to sweeten another team's trade offer.

Thanks. What a strange ass clause. And I disagree. Mark ain't goin' nowhere. 15 million for a guy with a 4.2 K/9? Not happening. People need to forget about Mark Buehrle being a legitimate trade piece (Peavy as well).

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
He's 29, will be getting expensive in the next few years.

Is Phil Rogers on Soxtalk? :lol:

He's still eligible for arbitration for two years AFTER 2011. It's not like he's out the door next season because he's gonna be getting a Tulo type deal.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
Thanks. What a strange ass clause. And I disagree. Mark ain't goin' nowhere. 15 million for a guy with a 4.2 K/9? Not happening. People need to forget about Mark Buehrle being a legitimate trade piece (Peavy as well).

A few thoughts....

If K/9 were a true measure of his value, Buerhle would be a AAAA washout or pitching in Japan by now.

But you look at his body of work and it screams legit #2-3 starter on any team in MLB.

Plus, he's left-handed, which in MLB means if he could roll the ball across the plate, he's going to get good money.

So, will $14-$15m limit some teams' interest? Sure. But if the Sox wanted to move him, they'd find takers.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)

I think we determined that clause is passed. It was put in to benefit Mark in the case of a trade, but since he now is a 5/10 player he can veto any trade. I do not remember the thread, but Kalapse and somebody else both confirmed this.

In other words, if a team trades for Buehrle, they get him 1 year, $14M.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
A few thoughts....

If K/9 were a true measure of his value, Buerhle would be a AAAA washout or pitching in Japan by now.

But you look at his body of work and it screams legit #2-3 starter on any team in MLB.

Plus, he's left-handed, which in MLB means if he could roll the ball across the plate, he's going to get good money.

So, will $14-$15m limit some teams' interest? Sure. But if the Sox wanted to move him, they'd find takers.

Didn't say he was a 4A washout. But 15 million? We all love Mark because we're Sox fans and he's been here for what seems like an eternity. But nobody in their right mind would take him with that kicker and those peripherals at his age. Not unless we sent a TON of cash with him. Like at least 8-9 million.

Edited by Jordan4life