White Sox listening to offers for Buehrle

ozzfest

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
MB is going no where unless he is traded to St Louis.

My proposal is the following:

MB for Colby Rasmus.

TCQ for Matt Garza

Sign two relievers.

Offseason over.

Ya that'd be nice. Too bad the real world isn't that great.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)

MB for Colby Rasmus.

TCQ for Matt Garza

Sign two relievers.

Offseason over.

That might only be possible in MLB 2K10 or MLB 10 the Show.

MB for Colby Rasmus.

TCQ for Matt Garza

Sign two relievers.

Offseason over.

I think there'd be a statue of Kenny in front of The Cell if either of those moves happened.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)

MB for Colby Rasmus.

Throw in CQ and Sale and they might listen.

Mark didn't help his trade value last season, and I don't see anybody giving up anything at this point that would make the Sox a better team in 2011.

Edited by WCSox

It's hard for me to wish this to happen. I feel it would probably be the best baseball decision and might put us in the best position to win in 2011 if we work it correctly. But, it's hard to imagine this team without Mark and it's impossible for me to wish him to be on any other team. Really tough situation.

We all love Buerhle. Great career,(possible hof?),world series..............but we all know he ain't what he used to be. So does everyone else. Who will give us anyting but garbage for him and his contract. Trade Buerhle for garbage and ticket sales and over all revenue will go down more than his $14 Mill. Make him the number 4 or 5 starter or maybe a bullpen guy if he falters early, but keep him for a another run at it.

QUOTE (since56 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
We all love Buerhle. Great career,(possible hof?),world series..............but we all know he ain't what he used to be. So does everyone else. Who will give us anyting but garbage for him and his contract. Trade Buerhle for garbage and ticket sales and over all revenue will go down more than his $14 Mill. Make him the number 4 or 5 starter or maybe a bullpen guy if he falters early, but keep him for a another run at it.

I'm not sure we all know he ain't what he used to be. For the three seasons 2007-2009, MB put up numbers pretty much in line with his career averages, with ERA's in the mid-upper 3's, similar WHIP and other values. 2010 was a bad year, just as 2006 was, but not AS bad as 2006. To me, there is every indication that 2010 was just an aberrant season.

Can't say for sure of course, its POSSIBLE that 2010 was the beginning a slide down. But looking at his career and his age, I'd say that's not likely.

His contract is no bargain, but as others have pointed out, he has met the value of the contract so far with his performance. So I am not sure how or why people are 100% convinced that his contract is some sort of albatross.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
2010 was a bad year, just as 2006 was, but not AS bad as 2006.

Worth jumping in here with a clarification...his bad 2010 involved 210 innings, 13 wins, 3 complete games, and a 4.28 ERA while pitching in the Cell.

If we really want to go into the numbers a bit, his career Babip is .293, and last year it came in at .316, the highest number against him in his career.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
I'm not sure we all know he ain't what he used to be. For the three seasons 2007-2009, MB put up numbers pretty much in line with his career averages, with ERA's in the mid-upper 3's, similar WHIP and other values. 2010 was a bad year, just as 2006 was, but not AS bad as 2006. To me, there is every indication that 2010 was just an aberrant season.

Can't say for sure of course, its POSSIBLE that 2010 was the beginning a slide down. But looking at his career and his age, I'd say that's not likely.

His contract is no bargain, but as others have pointed out, he has met the value of the contract so far with his performance. So I am not sure how or why people are 100% convinced that his contract is some sort of albatross.

I wouldnt even say that. His ERA was around 4.30. In the AL, as a back of the rotation starter that is fine. He is not and never has been an ace. He isnt worth his contract on the open market. But to me he is still a good pitcher and is probably more valuable than what we could hope to get in return from a trade. And a trade as a salar dump would be a PR nightmare

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 08:47 AM)
I wouldnt even say that. His ERA was around 4.30. In the AL, as a back of the rotation starter that is fine. He is not and never has been an ace. He isnt worth his contract on the open market. But to me he is still a good pitcher and is probably more valuable than what we could hope to get in return from a trade. And a trade as a salar dump would be a PR nightmare

4.30 ERA from a starter in the AL is better than back of the rotation (which I take to mean #5), its more like #3. And in his better years, he is a solid #2.

I do agree though that trading him for even value is dicey because of the PR issue - they'd need to get a package more than he's worth, which is unlikely to occur.

Few love Mark Buehrle like I do. But I got over Frank Thomas, the reason I became a Sox fan in the first place, leaving in a less than ideal way. I could get over MB leaving if it made us a better team going forward. Mark is NOT a $14 million dollar a year pitcher. And this whole kicker thing for 2012 makes it a wrap IF we can deal him and get better in the process.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
If we really want to go into the numbers a bit, his career Babip is .293, and last year it came in at .316, the highest number against him in his career.

And this is while his LD% was the lowest of his career, so he was not getting hit harder.

MB for Colby Rasmus.

TCQ for Matt Garza

Sign two relievers.

Offseason over.

Maybe you can get the Cardinals to toss in Albert Pujols and pay half his extension while you're at it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
Maybe you can get the Cardinals to toss in Albert Pujols and pay half his extension while you're at it.

In what fantasy world did Colby Rasmus become a superstar?

I'm always fascinated...

- how other team's young players with 'potential' are deified, and

- how quickly our view of our own players goes from rockstar to dog s***

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)

I'm always fascinated...

The Cardinals are going to have to pay Pujols close to $30 million a year. Why would they want to get rid of a player making next to nothing and pick up a $14 million a year pitcher, with a rotation fully stocked, signed for 1 season? Rasmus isn't a superstar, but just about every team wouldn't mind having his production and potential in their line up while making next to nothing relatively speaking. And on what planet is Matt Garza available for Carlos Quentin?

I do agree with your thought though. It does seem other teams' players are much more highly thought of than White Sox players who are very comparable. Jim Thome put up a .933 OPS as a White Sox. There were a lot more people who thought not having him on the team after they traded him and last year when they didn't sign him was a lot better option than having him on the team, than there were who appreciated what he brought to the table. Now, if Adam Dunn puts up a .933 OPS, something he has done twice in a full season during his career and hasn't done since 2007, even with more strikeouts, he will be a savior. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they signed Dunn. It will be interesting watching the people who ripped Thome defend Dunn for similar results. I know Dunn at this stage is more valuable than Thome, I am just referring to the criticism he got while putting up huge numbers.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'm always fascinated...

Colby Rasmus, at 23, had an .859 OPS last season while playing impeccable defense while making under $500k. Mark Buehrle had a 4.28 era while making $14 million.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that that trade would never, in a million years, happen.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
Colby Rasmus, at 23, had an .859 OPS last season while playing impeccable defense while making under $500k. Mark Buehrle had a 4.28 era while making $14 million.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that that trade would never, in a million years, happen.

Because one year of stats is always a good way to measure value. Yeah, I get it.

Never mind that Rasmus struck out at a Jordan Danks like clip. Or that in 3 of the last 4 year, Buehrle has had an ERA below his career average of 3.85

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
Because one year of stats are always a good way to measure value. Yeah, I get it.

Never mind that Rasmus struck out at a Jordan Danks like clip. Or that in 3 of the last 4 year, Buehrle has had an ERA below his career average of 3.85

In his 2nd full season in the majors. Do you think Rasmus has peaked at the age of 24? Colby Rasmus is their Gordon Beckham except he probably has a tad higher upside with the bat. He has much more value than Mark Buehrle at this point.

I'm always fascinated...

And don't forget they return to being rockstars once they leave teh Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
The Cardinals are going to have to pay Pujols close to $30 million a year. Why would they want to get rid of a player making next to nothing and pick up a $14 million a year pitcher, with a rotation fully stocked, signed for 1 season? Rasmus isn't a superstar, but just about every team wouldn't mind having his production and potential in their line up while making next to nothing relatively speaking. And on what planet is Matt Garza available for Carlos Quentin?

I do agree with your thought though. It does seem other teams' players are much more highly thought of than White Sox players who are very comparable. Jim Thome put up a .933 OPS as a White Sox. There were a lot more people who thought not having him on the team after they traded him and last year when they didn't sign him was a lot better option than having him on the team, than there were who appreciated what he brought to the table. Now, if Adam Dunn puts up a .933 OPS, something he has done twice in a full season during his career and hasn't done since 2007, even with more strikeouts, he will be a savior. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they signed Dunn. It will be interesting watching the people who ripped Thome defend Dunn for similar results. I know Dunn at this stage is more valuable than Thome, I am just referring to the criticism he got while putting up huge numbers.

Agree on the Rasmus stuff, but on the Garza thing... Quentin alone isn't worth Garza. But Quentin is still worth a lot, and while Garza > CQ in trade value, it's not a landslide. People are underrating the s*** out of him. His defense is terrible, especially in RF, but if you're TB and you can put him in at DH he's a very, very valuable player. The money is similar also, and CQ's upside is far, far higher than Garza's. A CQ + spects for Garza deal is the Sox selling low and buying high.

BTW Adam Dunn is going to get lambasted here in due time. That many K's + no defense + plodder + high salary = s*** on. It just won't be now because coming off the Kotsay/Jones DH crapsperiment we can again see the value of a high OBP powerhouse lefty in the middle of the lineup. Right now we're back in post-2005 acquiring Jim Thome excitement mode, but it'll wear off.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
Because one year of stats is always a good way to measure value. Yeah, I get it.

GMAB. Rasmus was rated the #3 prospect by BA going into 2009. He was a 3.5 WAR at the ripe old age of 23. All you have to do is watch him play and you can see the insane talent that is there. If the Cardinals called up and asked for Buehrle and said will give you Rasmus KW would have to enter the witness protection program due to every GM in the game being kermit the frog green with envy. Don't compare Jordan f***ing Danks to Colby Rasmus.

Edited by Jordan4life