Teahen your starter?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
Pale 'n Hosed

RT @ESPNChiSox Ozzie on whether Morel is his starter at 3B: "That would be a slap in the face of Teahen."

Just can't hand it to the rookie over the vet Teahan. Teahan can try and show in ST that he deserves the 3B spot, but personally I like Morel and then Joe Crede :lol: but not in that order necesarily

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody on this site is less of a Teahen fan than I am, but the last thing you ever do with a rookie is make it out like a starting job in the Majors is his to lose. Teahen, Omar, Lillibridge, and Viciedo should all get good reps in Spring to push him and for good reason, because it'll benefit everyone.

The team as constructed though seems to point to our starting rotation and middle of the order offense are our key strengths, which means we can afford a light-hitting 9th place hitter in theory so long as he helps our strong pitching become even stronger. Nobody we've got aside from Omar is going to outplay Morel defensively, and Omar can't be relied upon every day, so it really is Morel's job to lose.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
Yeah I think all Ozzie means is that by simply anointing Morel as the 3B is a slap in the face, because Morel will have to earn it. I don't think that's really a problem.

Thank you. Ozzie has already said its Morel's job to lose. All he is saying now is, its not granted.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)
Nobody on this site is less of a Teahen fan than I am, but the last thing you ever do with a rookie is make it out like a starting job in the Majors is his to lose. Teahen, Omar, Lillibridge, and Viciedo should all get good reps in Spring to push him and for good reason, because it'll benefit everyone.

The team as constructed though seems to point to our starting rotation and middle of the order offense are our key strengths, which means we can afford a light-hitting 9th place hitter in theory so long as he helps our strong pitching become even stronger. Nobody we've got aside from Omar is going to outplay Morel defensively, and Omar can't be relied upon every day, so it really is Morel's job to lose.

You won't find a positive quote from Greg775 or myself on the Teahen debacle either (since we are/were both witnesses to his atrocities committed in Kauffman Stadium)...I still wanted Uribe back in 2009. He was always my favorite player.

Well, Teahen's a great interview, always available for a quote, good sense of humor, stellar clubhouse guy, etc. It's the Erstad/Mackowiak/Kotsay thing all over again.

On the other hand, when Wise and Anderson faced off in ST coming into 2009, Ozzie at least temporarily gave the job to Wise when conventional wisdom says you have to give it to one of your own home-grown prospects and a former first rounder. Wise was the dictionary definition of a journeyman player with limited upside if overexposed.

Ozzie's not blind, if Morel can hit somewhere between Crede and Anderson (2006)/Beckham first half of 2010, then the position is his. Everyone knows the impact Vizquel had not only on 3B but on Alexei as well....it's the old domino effect.

Edited by caulfield12

I really think this was just Ozzie throwing a bit of pressure on Morel to see if he can handle it come ST, also you can't just come out and say the position is his based off a small sampling of last season. Let them battle it out, if Morel can handle the position he'll be that much more prepared come regular season.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
And who is going to be the back up outfielder now that Andruw Jones is gone? DeAza?

Either De Aza or Lillibridge.

If De Aza is healthy, he's shown a lot of signs that he's a reasonable option; he's just been prevented from being one by injuries.

Lillibridge is out of options though, while De Aza supposedly has 1 left, so that could make a big difference as well.

If you are going to play a defensive liability at third base then it should probably be Viciedo. Teahan is a good left handed bat off the bench, and versatile enough to sub at several positions. Unless Morel turns out to be simply overmatched at the big league level he gets the nod. If not I would play Visquel there again. You need defense if you want good pitching.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)
If you are going to play a defensive liability at third base then it should probably be Viciedo. Teahan is a good left handed bat off the bench, and versatile enough to sub at several positions. Unless Morel turns out to be simply overmatched at the big league level he gets the nod. If not I would play Visquel there again. You need defense if you want good pitching.

The big problem comes around if Morel comes up and hits like Brandon Wood. If Morel's hitting ok, then we're in fine shape, Vizquel can be his main backup, and Teahen can jump in occasionally if someone is hurt for a day or two. If Morel has to be sent back down (or gets hurt), then we're left with Vizquel and Teahen, and Vizquel really shouldn't be a near-everyday starter, even though he was able to take it last year.

Couple thoughts:

1) Teahen was nothing short of a trainwreck defensively last year at third. It was so bad that I actually think he's probably better than what he showed. Certainly, no one that's GOOD defensively plays that badly, but with a larger sample, I bet he's closer to 'below average' than 'Ryan Howard' level.

2) Having said that, I think my favorite role for Teahen is backup RF for CQ. Since CQ is obviously not going to be DH this year with any regularity, he's going to need significant rest if he's going to stay off the DL. Not sure what CQ's platoon splits are like, but I would definitely be in favor of throwing Teahen in RF against some tough righties, esp. if CQ is in a slump, and esp. now that a CQ/Teahen platoon will never need to bat higher than 6th in the order. Teahen is bad in RF too, but he's not as bad as CQ, and he's not as bad as he is at 3B.

Essentially, I liken Teahen to a slower, better hitting alternative to Lillibridge.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
2) Having said that, I think my favorite role for Teahen is backup RF for CQ. Since CQ is obviously not going to be DH this year with any regularity, he's going to need significant rest if he's going to stay off the DL. Not sure what CQ's platoon splits are like, but I would definitely be in favor of throwing Teahen in RF against some tough righties, esp. if CQ is in a slump, and esp. now that a CQ/Teahen platoon will never need to bat higher than 6th in the order. Teahen is bad in RF too, but he's not as bad as CQ, and he's not as bad as he is at 3B.

Thing about Quentin's splits are...he's backwards. He has a career .857 OPS against righties and .773 against lefties. Teahen was almost Kotsay-like against lefties last year. Although Quentin hits right handed, he's a bad guy to put in a righty/lefty platoon.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
Thing about Quentin's splits are...he's backwards. He has a career .857 OPS against righties and .773 against lefties. Teahen was almost Kotsay-like against lefties last year. Although Quentin hits right handed, he's a bad guy to put in a righty/lefty platoon.

That was going to be my next question, as the platoon option seemed all too perfect. Dang.

Only if you start another Anderson/Wise or The Legend of Aaron Rowand thread :lolhitting

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
Geez, my bad. I didn't realize you were purposly trying to spread the conversation over multiple threads. Can I start another thread for Hudson vs. Jackson too?
Edited by Big Daddy Kool

Here's the pre-ST Teahen fluff piece.

Teahen battled soreness in his right elbow and a minor flaw in his swing during the team's days in Arizona. And once the season began, Teahen's defense was subpar at third by his own admission.

An unfair amount of blame seemed to be heaped upon Teahen's glove in relation to the team's early struggles. That finger pointing never caused Teahen to be anything but a consummate teammate, even upon losing his starting job during his extended recovery from a fractured finger suffered while fielding an Evan Longoria grounder on May 30 at Tampa Bay.

"Was it fair? I don't know," said Teahen of the 2010 criticism he took for his defense. "Honestly, I didn't pay much attention to it.

"Sure, I get blamed for this or that, and I didn't perform the way I wanted to perform. That's fair to say. Outside of that, I don't know anything else and I didn't worry about it. I just tried to get healthy and get better."

Not only is the newly married Teahen healthy, but he also will report stronger to Camelback Ranch on Feb. 22. That extra muscle is courtesy of Teahen's work with Brett Fischer in Phoenix, a place Teahen appreciated because of the physical therapy component to go with the conditioning.

A move by Morel into the White Sox starting nine means the 29-year-old Teahen would return to a super-utility role played for parts of his five years with the Royals. That change still should guarantee 350 or 400 at-bats for Teahen, especially with the White Sox figuring to be careful using Morel against tough right-handed pitchers.

There would be an adjustment for Teahen moving from third to first to right, which is why Teahen's focus remains on third base.

"I'm going into spring assuming I'm battling for the third-base job," Teahen said. "That's what I want to do, and I'll adjust from there. I've done it in my career, and yes, [playing the super-sub] is tough to do. So, I'm going in wanting to be in the lineup every day, knowing I need to win third base."

Guillen promised a decision will be announced concerning third base as soon as the White Sox braintrust figures out the winner. That final hot corner call could come in early March or just before the White Sox regular season begins in Cleveland.

Hearing Guillen's support for this open battle was good for Teahen to hear. But Teahen didn't need Guillen's backing to believe he could win this particular election.

"Even if Ozzie hadn't said it, I would assume it was," said Teahen of the third-base battle. "If I play the right way, I believe the team is better if I'm in the lineup.

"There's no question Morel will have a good, long big league career. It's good to have competition, and whatever is best for the team is what we want to do. With that being said, I come in with a job to do."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)

Sounds good to me! I'm down with the competition. I do think Teahen's best value is as a super-sub, though, so I'm rooting for Morel. Plus, I'd just love to see awesome defense out of the left side of our infield, since we place such an emphasis on the grounder.