Snowmageddon 2011

Brian

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
One type I just found via googling is an Amide/Glycol mixture. Lots of organic molecules dissolve in water but they won't produce the same reaction on skin as salts. The freezing point depression effect comes about solely through the number of molecules of something dissolving in the water, so the melting effect (to first order) doesn't care about which molecules you use, only that they're water soluble.

OK.

Well I learned something today - I didn't even know this was an issue. Next time I buy salt I'll look for pet-friendly stuff (what I have now may even be that, I don't know off hand).

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
I never paid attention to the type of salt I buy and I don't mean this to be a jerk, but I'm not going to spend extra money for YOUR dog. If someone has a problem with the salt someone else uses, they can get a yard.

A lot of us that live in condo buildings don't have that option though. It's really nice of buidling Mgmt companies to use pet friendly salt here in the west loop as the population of pets that walk our sidewalks is pretty high. I will say I really appreciate it.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
When you all clean up your dog crap, I will use pet friendly salt.

Ugh, what a huge pet peeve of mine too. Its really not that hard to pick up your dog's s***, in fact there are alot worse things during dog ownership than that. I especially hate people who just leave it there because there is snow. Guess what, snow melts, and your dog s*** is still there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
Ugh, what a huge pet peeve of mine too. Its really not that hard to pick up your dog's s***, in fact there are alot worse things during dog ownership than that. I especially hate people who just leave it there because there is snow. Guess what, snow melts, and your dog s*** is still there.

prove it!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)

When I take my dog outside my subdivision I definitely pick it up but while in my subdivision, I rarely pick it up because nobody else does and they don't care so why should I?

And it sucks having an 8 month old puppy who still goes after it like it is food. Can't wait for him to grow out of that because when there is no snow on the ground I always have to look 10 feet ahead in anticipation of him running after it. Easier to spot in the snow.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 07:08 PM)
When I take my dog outside my subdivision I definitely pick it up but while in my subdivision, I rarely pick it up because nobody else does and they don't care so why should I?

And it sucks having an 8 month old puppy who still goes after it like it is food. Can't wait for him to grow out of that because when there is no snow on the ground I always have to look 10 feet ahead in anticipation of him running after it. Easier to spot in the snow.

Keep in mind our dogs s*** on sidewalks, mo grass here.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
The grocery store was already crowded with people due to the storm. Kind of an overreaction.

I think people forgot that we live in Illinois and that it tends to snow from time to time. Stuff like this always reminds me of Y2k when everyone was freaking out about computers and clocks and the world ending. AHHHH! It's just snow I don't see the big deal.

Jack.jpg

http://weblogs.wgntv.com/chicago-weather/t...-the-bigge.html

By

wgnweather

on January 26, 2010 9:56 PM | Permalink

Dear Tom,

All the recent heavy lake-effect snow in northern Indiana reminded me of a huge storm that paralyzed Michigan City, Ind., in the 1950s or '60s. Can you provide details?

--Larry Robinson

Dear Larry,

On Feb. 15 and 16, 1958, one of the biggest Lake Michigan snow events on record buried Michigan City with more than 40 inches of snow during a period of about 36 hours. The strong winds blowing arctic air down the full length of the lake piled the snow into huge drifts, some as high as 15 feet. The snow was so deep that bulldozers were needed to help the town dig out. The area of the exceptionally heavy snow was small and neighboring communities thought the snowstorm was a hoax because skies as close as Gary were clear. Nearby LaPorte received 5 feet of snow in February 1958, much of it falling during that storm.