Alexei Ramirez signs 4 year extension

TheChrisSamsa

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the club option year is 2016, then Alexei is now under team control for 6 seasons counting the option. Therefore, he's still under contract for this year, this deal then buys out his 2 remaining arb eligible years, and buys out 2 FA years, along with an option to buy out a 3rd FA year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
If the club option year is 2016, then Alexei is now under team control for 6 seasons counting the option. Therefore, he's still under contract for this year, this deal then buys out his 2 remaining arb eligible years, and buys out 2 FA years, along with an option to buy out a 3rd FA year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...896&id=5292

Rotoworld states that Alexei will still play under his $2.75 million contract for 2011, and the extension is for the 2012-2015 seasons with the $10 million option for the 2016 season.

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 07:37 PM)

Rotoworld states that Alexei will still play under his $2.75 million contract for 2011, and the extension is for the 2012-2015 seasons with the $10 million option for the 2016 season.

Does it state how much he will make each year? I hope it's not backloaded.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)

I haven't seen anything about how it's divided yet, but multiple sources are reporting the total number and the extension value. I don't know if The White Sox can afford another backloaded contract.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)

Great to see the White Sox reward him for his tremendous efforts and pay him accordingly after he was making about $1.1M for the last 3 years. Send a great message to the White Sox young core of players.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
Great to see the White Sox reward him for his tremendous efforts and pay him accordingly after he was making about $1.1M for the last 3 years. Send a great message to the White Sox young core of players.

I agree! I hope Beckham ERUPTS this year! :gosox2: :gosoxretro: :gosox3:

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)

It will almost undoubtedly be back-loaded but nothing crazy, something like: $6M, $8M, $9M, $9M, $500K buyout. By the 3rd year of Alexei's deal the Sox will only have Rios ($12.5M) and Dunn ($15M) under contract and Alexei's all alone in year 4, Rios has a $13.5M team option that season.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
It will almost undoubtedly be back-loaded but nothing crazy, something like: $6M, $8M, $9M, $9M, $500K buyout. By the 3rd year of Alexei's deal the Sox will only have Rios ($12.5M) and Dunn ($15M) under contract and Alexei's all along in year 4, Rios has a $13.5M team option that season.

Yeah something like this makes sense.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 07:19 PM)
It will almost undoubtedly be back-loaded but nothing crazy, something like: $6M, $8M, $9M, $9M, $500K buyout. By the 3rd year of Alexei's deal the Sox will only have Rios ($12.5M) and Dunn ($15M) under contract and Alexei's all alone in year 4, Rios has a $13.5M team option that season.

That is a steal if he produces like he has to this point. Especially when you think of the teams that could be looking for SS's in the coming years.

Let's hope Alexei keeps up his defense from last year for the next 5 seasons. I must say this is a great value signing given his current talent level (which is a 3.5-4 win player).

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 12:37 AM)

even though they picked up his 2.75 option for this year is it assured that the deal starts in 2012? could they pick up the option, then tear it up once they re-negotiated?

if he's playing for 2.75 this year and then the deal picks up next year that makes a pretty damn good deal even better.

i'm not terribly familiar with how the contracts work (obvi).

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
even though they picked up his 2.75 option for this year is it assured that the deal starts in 2012? could they pick up the option, then tear it up once they re-negotiated?

if he's playing for 2.75 this year and then the deal picks up next year that makes a pretty damn good deal even better.

i'm not terribly familiar with how the contracts work (obvi).

I'm under the impression that this is an extension to be tacked on after his current contract, which is up after this year. It would be bad business for the white sox to have someone under contract for cheap and offer him more money when they don't have to yet. But it's good business to lock him up beyond this year at a fixed rate before he gets to arbitration or free agency. It's a great deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 07:57 PM)
That is a steal if he produces like he has to this point. Especially when you think of the teams that could be looking for SS's in the coming years.

Hey I know this is unrelated but remember when I told you freddie would sign for 1.5 mill?