Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
I'm not saying it all fair. s***, who was it on the Braves that practically speared Prior in 2003? I forget who. You keep getting hurt, you're going to get that reputation.

Marcus Giles.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
I think the problem in this case is that he was injured when we traded for him to begin with. Then he was set to come back a couple weeks later and he got injured again, I believe. Then all we get is a measly 3 starts out of him when the team was long out of the race. He, of course, dominates in those three starts and everything is hunky dory and we're all looking forward to a full season of dominance. He does his best Todd Ritchie/Jamie Navarro impersonation to start off last season and it isn't until June that he looks anything like the pitcher we thought we were getting. He, of course, gets hurt again in July then there's rumblings that he had been pitching in pain all year. So instead of speaking up well before the July injury and giving our medical staff a chance to evaluate him, maybe shut him down for a 2-3 weeks and go from there, we lose him for the final two months, which was a crippling blow to our playoff prospects. And here we are now a week away from opening day and the best-case scenario is that he'll be ready sometime in May. And that's just to take the mound. Nobody has any idea how effective he'll be. He could need 8-10 starts just to get that groove back. So it's easy to see how some like Milkman, myself and others are EXTREMELY frustrated with this guy. We know he doesn't suck. If he did, I wouldn't care if he retired. This is a HUGE year for this franchise and our highest paid player is and seemingly will be a major injury risk all year.

Got it. I'm down with all that.

I'm interested to see how effective Peavy will be without that wicked moving drop down 92-94 mph 2 seamer that starts 3 inches off the plate and tails to the outside corner. It has been said that he can't drop down nearly as much anymore because of the lat injury. When we traded for him I watched his highlight videos on mlb.com, as a Padre, he used to get quite a few strikeouts with that pitch.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)
Hell, you almost get the impression that this is nothing and the guy's going to break camp w/the team.

Optimist-fest is back on!

In a super competitive pay fantasy league, he was dropped.

Needless to say, he's been added by me. :P

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
I'm intrested to see how effective Peavy will be without that wicked moving drop down 92-94 mph 2 seamer that starts 3 inches off the plate and tails to the outside corner.

Pish. Get out of here. He had his muscle re-attached, he's basically bionic. He's the next Henry Rowengartner and will be touching 102 once they take off the leash.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 12:13 AM)
I'm intrested to see how effective Peavy will be without that wicked moving drop down 92-94 mph 2 seamer that starts 3 inches off the plate and tails to the outside corner. It has been said that he can't drop down nearly as much anymore because of the lat injury. When we traded for him I watched his highlight videos on mlb.com, as a Padre, he used to get quite a few strikeouts with that pitch.

There are many questions that remain with regard to his effectiveness once he returns... It's all just a matter of having to wait it out. I can understand fans being impatient but he's too close to starting games and showing us what he can do.

It's going to go one of two ways: he'll be able to come back and return to form - or he won't return and will be an oft-injured waste of salary. There is no use in acting like he's destined to be in that second category when there is nothing to base that judgement on. Just like when this tendinitis came up - people where already saying he wouldn't be back until the second half... There is no merit to those types of statements except idle speculation.

All we can do is hope for the best and see what happens. I'm totally prepared to write Peacy off and call it a horrible trade - but I won't do so until that situation is apparent in reality.

Right now - it's the wait and see game and we all have a choice as to who's corner we're with. I sure as hell know that I'm in the ring in Peavy's corner - ready to tough it out. Lets just get this bull ready for the ding of that bell and hope that he goes at it like Tyson in his heyday.

:headbang

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
Got it. I'm down with all that.

I'm also concerned with how Ozzie decides to use him once he's ready to take the mound. You'd have to imagine that he'd be extremely cautious with his pitch count. So if he's at 75-80 or so pitches in the 5th or 6th inning I could see Ozzie saying f*** this and going to the 'pen. I would imagine there won't be many 90+ pitch games for Peavy. Again, that's just me being pessimistic, I know, what a shock, but it's a legitimate concern of mine. Mark, Gavin, John and Edwin really, really need to be good this year.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
Remember this is a surgeon. He has no idea about normal spring training activities and normal soreness. He only sees clients when they have significant problems. I think the conversation between him and Schneider at St went something like this:

AR: I hear Peavy is having problems

HS: Yeah he's tender over the rotator cuff kind of like everyone else now

AR: Everyone gets sore?

HS: Yeah none of them really follow the off season workouts like they should but with meds it goes away.

AR: Really. Huh. Well let's rest him a few weeks and see how it feels

HS: It only takes a few days then he should throw to keep it strong so he can keep progressing.

AR: OK let's do that.

Thanks for the perspective. Again.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)
There are many questions that remain with regard to his effectiveness once he returns... It's all just a matter of having to wait it out. I can understand fans being impatient but he's too close to starting games and showing us what he can do.

It's going to go one of two ways: he'll be able to come back and return to form - or he won't return and will be an oft-injured waste of salary. There is no use in acting like he's destined to be in that second category when there is nothing to base that judgement on. Just like when this tendinitis came up - people where already saying he wouldn't be back until the second half... There is no merit to those types of statements except idle speculation.

All we can do is hope for the best and see what happens. I'm totally prepared to write Peacy off and call it a horrible trade - but I won't do so until that situation is apparent in reality.

Right now - it's the wait and see game and we all have a choice as to who's corner we're with. I sure as hell know that I'm in the ring in Peavy's corner - ready to tough it out. Lets just get this bull ready for the ding of that bell and hope that he goes at it like Tyson in his heyday.

:headbang

I'm in Peavy's corner too. Injuries happen with pitchers, it is something that baseball fans have to realize. You can't really hate on a pitcher for getting injured, throwing a baseball is an unnatural activity, and injuries occur from it. It can happen to the best of them. Peavy had been a little injury prone in 2008, but he still threw 173 innings. Maybe you can blame KW for bringing him back in 2009 at the end of the season, when he messed up his delivery. The ankle injury was a freak accident. It was something I failed to realize when someone somewhere said that Peavy's lat injury may have been caused by him dropping down too much. The drop down fastball with wicked movement is also one of his most effective out pitches. If he can't drop down as much, it may hinder his effectiveness. How much, we don't know.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 08:36 PM)
I'm also concerned with how Ozzie decides to use him once he's ready to take the mound. You'd have to imagine that he'd be extremely cautious with his pitch count. So if he's at 75-80 or so pitches in the 5th or 6th inning I could see Ozzie saying f*** this and going to the 'pen. I would imagine there won't be many 90+ pitch games for Peavy. Again, that's just me being pessimistic, I know, what a shock, but it's a legitimate concern of mine. Mark, Gavin, John and Edwin really, really need to be good this year.

I can see this being an issue for a couple of starts, but I don't think the kid gloves (see: Chris Sale Sucks thread) stay on permanently.

KW: "I continue to be surprised that we had the opportunity to get him out there a lot sooner than we [expected]," Williams said. "But what we want is to keep a mindset toward the player first, and the club. This is not an Ozzie Guillen decision or a Don Cooper decision. I will take my guidance from the doctors, medical staff and Jake." :stick :whip

More from Kenny...

KW: "This is basically a guy who has worked his tail off to get back to a point to where he can start the season with us," Williams said. "Obviously, that's in jeopardy right now. To a large degree, we're going to listen to Jake and the doctors structurally have said there is no problem, no worry about the lat being detached again."

KW: "Again, it was anticipated," Williams said about Peavy's current situation. "So in that anticipation, I'm still very encouraged that we're ahead of the curve. We are ahead of where we thought we would be. ... I'm a little disappointed in the play that it's gotten because I've tried to warn everybody from the outset we were looking at a blip that was going to come at some point in time. So in my mind, we never stopped planning for that."

Peavy: "I have told these guys everything I feel in my body and let the guys that are more educated on the subject make the decisions," Peavy said. "That's what happened and every decision that has been made has been a consolidation of all of us put together."

In that sense, Peavy appeared vindicated that not only is his current setback not deemed serious but that it was actually expected by doctors.

"We've been treating it and getting some good meds in," Peavy said about the anti-inflammatory medication he has been taking. "Hopefully we can calm this thing down and I can get on a mound by the weekend and be without any discomfort and be able to climb. Where this takes us I don't know but that's kind of the game plan now."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 01:47 AM)
Back on the mound even in a B-game by Sunday would be solid.

To me it really seems like it all hinges on arm strength right now.

He's structurally solid according to the medical department.

His tendinitis is not something completely isolated to anything other than inactivity.

Therefore - it's really a matter of just getting his strength back to 100%.

We have no idea what the timetable for that is.

He could go out - throw 80 pitches - and report no soreness or tendinitis.

At that point, we're only out a week.

The wait and see game continues... It'll be nice when it's over and Jake is back to being himself again....

or, he tanks and will never be back - at least we could then call a spade a spade.

For now - I'm gonna continue supporting and giving my energy to the side of belief in a positive outcome.

:gosox3:

So KW comes out and states publicly that it's NOT Ozzie's decision nor is it Coop's decision and that he's gonna go by what JAKE and the Trainers/Doctors are telling him. That is a major difference between Ozzie's power play to the media earlier this week. "Jake is gonna pitch when I tell him he can."

So, again if that's the impression Peavy has always gotten, and I don't doubt that is is, Ozzie's comments about "I'm not gonna let him convince me anymore" were the start of the firestorm that lead to the media backlash. As usual Kenny/Ozzie have two different ideas....

GLENDALE, Ariz. --

The news for the White Sox right-hander was about as upbeat as could be expected on Wednesday. Peavy was examined by Dr. Anthony Romeo, who performed the experimental surgery on July 14 to reattach the tendon that anchors the latissimus dorsi muscle to the rear of Peavy's shoulder. The discomfort Peavy has been feeling in that area since his last start on March 19 in Phoenix was nothing structural and just the blip on the radar everyone in the organization expected during this comeback.

This piece of information was so positive that general manager Ken Williams still would not completely rule out Peavy from breaking camp with the team and being part of the opening rotation. It's unlikely, at this point, but nothing seems to be impossible with Peavy's unique situation.

"I don't want to use any absolute terms, simply because this is Jake Peavy, and he has pushed and worked his tail off to get to this point," said Williams, speaking to the media during Wednesday's 6-2 loss to the Dodgers at Camelback Ranch. "From what I understand now, the medicine that he is taking is similar to any kind of medicines he would be taking even if he didn't have the lat issue, and it is working on him.

"So it's the same soreness you generally have during this time of Spring Training that all the guys have. He's working through it. But his recovery time, because of the injury, let's say it's at seven days instead of four days. Now, the more he works through it, it will go down to six days of recovery. It will go down to five days, and then four.

"Depending upon what kind of plan we put into play, and how long that will be, we can't shut him down from what I've been told. He's got to work through some things," Williams said.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 02:52 AM)
GLENDALE, Ariz. --

"So it's the same soreness you generally have during this time of Spring Training that all the guys have. He's working through it. But his recovery time, because of the injury, let's say it's at seven days instead of four days. Now, the more he works through it, it will go down to six days of recovery. It will go down to five days, and then four.

"Depending upon what kind of plan we put into play, and how long that will be, we can't shut him down from what I've been told. He's got to work through some things," Williams said.

Now that's what I like to see. Yeah baby - that's rationality right there boys.

More fuel to the side of Peavy not being a ________( insert derogatory here )_________.

"Jake has to discover what his arm can tolerate again,'' said Tony Romeo, the surgeon from Rush University Medical Center who operated on Peavy. "We knew there would be a lot of trial and error.''

Romeo stressed that his information showed that Peavy had done no long-term damage to the shoulder and downplayed the media give-and-take between Guillen and Peavy as comments made "in the heat of the moment.''

"I can assure you everybody is on the same page,'' he said.

Regarding the tendinitis and the possible effects on this season...

"I don't think the tendinitis is something that will be a source of concern for Jake the whole season,'' Romeo said. "It wasn't directly related to the latissimus dorsi tendon. It was his shoulder telling him where he's at.''
Edited by hi8is

Some of you guys are trying WAYYYYYYY TOOOOOO hard to convince Sox nation that Peavy is just fine and everything is whip cream with fat cherries on the top. How about we just wait until Peavy is pitching in a game that counts and not post every Twitter message that comes about every 5.6 seconds?