Government Shutdown on the clock thread

Balta1701

I don't wish bad things would happen to you. I mean other than what just happened, I was rooting for that one. Don't take it personally.

Take this personally: If you've never had a positive experience with a Federal employee, it's because you're a f***ing asshole. For example, lots of people have had positive experiences with me, but you haven't.

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
This going to be blunt and you probably aren't going to like it.

I dont care about what happens to government workers because of this. I've never had a positive experience with a civilian government employee. They are all totally and utterly worthless, both in the work they're expected to do but also in the small fraction of that expectation that they actually accomplish. Usually this doesn't bother me, I'm not a big stickler for service. I stay polite, finish my business and vow never to return. But I have no choice but to pay for the salaries of government employees. I'm forced to chip into your wages at the barrell of a gun. So yea, f*** you too. You and your incompetent nepotist pals got unceremoniously fired just like so many of the rest of us have. Sucks doesn't it? But you've all been getting fat raises and nice union settlements on the back of our money for so long you should have something in the tank.

Working for the government is an oxymoron. It is more like welfare. Taxpayer money goes in, a bunch of nothing happens, and a few million people get paychecks. I hate it, anything that dents it makes me f***ing jubiliant.

The great part about this is this shutdown is pretty much permanent as long as long the Republicans control something. We've gone down the rabbit hole, the threshold has been crossed and lines in the sand drawn. There will be no compromising, slowly (like what happened with the military) some things will come back, but for many programs and employees this is the end. We haven't killed the monster yet, but almost accidentally the heroic House Republicans in an attempt to be the worst politicians ever inadvertently did this country a lot of good.

And yet you're wasting all your brilliance behind the wheel of a truck...such a shame

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
This isn't even as bad as the debt ceiling fight in 2 weeks.

It is likely that President Obama will raise the debt ceiling himself and that it is completely legal to do so. Most believe that the Supreme Court would refuse to hear arguments on the matter. It could actually be yet another move that ultimately makes the GOP look horrible if they try to fight back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
Just awesome. And 6 minutes apart too.

LOL. Great job.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
I honestly prefer drinking a 12 pack of Sunkist, shifting gears and thinking about how much I hate the government all day.

While that thing you're driving on has absolutely nothing to do with the government

Take this personally: If you've never had a positive experience with a Federal employee, it's because you're a f***ing asshole. For example, lots of people have had positive experiences with me, but you haven't.

Hmmm let's think...

DOT? Bad. I still haven't gotten my Hazmat. Luckily I don't need it, but its been months. Then somehow a 3 year old speeding ticket on my Class D in Wisconsin put a hold on my license and gave me CSA points, and I got it before CSA even started. My company (thankfully) has taken up that fight for me with the FMCSA assholes because what helps my score helps their score. I did manage to get my license reinstated for $50 after sitting on hold for 3 hours. Nice.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 09:55 PM)
Hmmm let's think...

DOT? Bad. I still haven't gotten my Hazmat. Luckily I don't need it, but its been months. Then somehow a 3 year old speeding ticket on my Class D in Wisconsin put a hold on my license and gave me CSA points, and I got it before CSA even started. My company (thankfully) has taken up that fight for me with the FMCSA assholes because what helps my score helps their score. I did manage to get my license reinstated for $50 after sitting on hold for 3 hours. Nice.

So you got yourself a speeding ticket and blame everyone else for the consequences. At least that one makes sense.

So you got yourself a speeding ticket and blame everyone else for the consequences. At least that one makes sense.

Yea I paid the ticket. They got their money. They just never updated their system to say that I paid (or something, I didn't really want to know what happened). I blame them for that.

Duke, you have reached an all time low. In my years here I have read some pretty despicable things, yesterday you hit the Hall of Shame. Frankly I am embarrased as a long time member here and a mod to allow your posts to remain visible. I hope that most readers understand that you do not reflect the soxtalk community. As a state employee I personally find your remarks insensitive, demeaning, insulting, and beyond contempt.

For the first time since I became a mod I will be recommending that your posting privileges be suspended.

Here's a good guideline... when anyone says something along the lines of "ALL (insert any profession here) are (insert demeaning descriptor here)", you can automatically dismiss anything else they type after that. Clearly they are not functioning within the bounds of reality.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 06:10 AM)
Here's a good guideline... when anyone says something along the lines of "ALL (insert any profession here) are (insert demeaning descriptor here)", you can automatically dismiss anything else they type after that. Clearly they are not functioning within the bounds of reality.

Well additionally, it's one thing to say something of that nature generally and it's another to say it when some members of your audience are personally, dramatically, and immediately affected by the issue at hand.

One would think Duke was some private sector whiz kid banking hundreds of thousands a year the way he walks around here like his s*** doesn't stink.

I normally don't get riled by his attention-seeking diatribes, but that was incredibly insulting and insensitive last night.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 07:22 AM)
Duke, you have reached an all time low. In my years here I have read some pretty despicable things, yesterday you hit the Hall of Shame. Frankly I am embarrased as a long time member here and a mod to allow your posts to remain visible. I hope that most readers understand that you do not reflect the soxtalk community. As a state employee I personally find your remarks insensitive, demeaning, insulting, and beyond contempt.

For the first time since I became a mod I will be recommending that your posting privileges be suspended.

Total overreaction. I've seen plenty of peoples careers mocked in here, and u joined in. But now you are offended. Boo hoo

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
Total overreaction. I've seen plenty of peoples careers mocked in here, and u joined in. But now you are offended. Boo hoo

Really? You've seen me mock someone losing a paycheck? Prove it.

Show me a time when I mocked a poster here who is losing a paycheck? Hickory has a family to support and through no fault of his will be without a paycheck. Duke suggested that all government workers are worthless and deserve to lose their paychecks. Find one time I posted anything close to that.

I will point to the Penn State thread where I stood up for the hundreds of workers who lost their jobs because of criminal wrongdoing by others within the University. I felt it was wrong to cause them to lose paychecks when they did nothing wrong. Yes, I have mocked people, but never about losing jobs and paychecks. That is very personal and fundemental to their survival.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
One thing we can all agree on, trucking is definitely an industry that is 100% non-reliant on government to function and exist.

The private sector maintains the interstate system.

Obama to meet with congress about shutdown/debt limit.

Because...I have no idea. Stupid move. Very stupid move. Opens up country to a potential crisis every time republicans have a Dem prez in office.

Unless this ends in the removal of the debt ceiling vote, I don't see how anyone but politico could see this as a good move.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
Obama to meet with congress about shutdown/debt limit.

Because...I have no idea. Stupid move. Very stupid move. Opens up country to a potential crisis every time republicans have a Dem prez in office.

Unless this ends in the removal of the debt ceiling vote, I don't see how anyone but politico could see this as a good move.

How about it ends with the government stop spending money it doesn't have? That would be a good place for it end up.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
How about it ends with the government stop spending money it doesn't have? That would be a good place for it end up.

There's a great process for that to happen. Congress has ability to pass a budget. A very stupid and childish and purposefully harmful act would be to approve funds, and then refuse to pay them. For crying so much about the consitution and founding fathers, you don't really seem to give a damn about the institutions to run this country.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)

Like when Bill Clinton was running budget surpluses three consecutive years?

What happened after that?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)

:notworthy

Like starting a war and cutting taxes to pay for it?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
Like when Bill Clinton was running budget surpluses three consecutive years?

What happened after that?

Too bad they never paid down any of the debt even when they had budget surpluses.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)
There's a great process for that to happen. Congress has ability to pass a budget. A very stupid and childish and purposefully harmful act would be to approve funds, and then refuse to pay them. For crying so much about the consitution and founding fathers, you don't really seem to give a damn about the institutions to run this country.

See, when Obama, and you, say 'pass a budget', what you really mean is pass MY budget so I get what I want. The house passed at least 3 CR's in the last day or two, all of which were just ignored out of hand by Harry Reid. Even in the reagan days with Tip O'Neil, they compromised sometimes. Tip was a two-faced liar like most politicians, but you still negotiated and gave up something to get something. What do the Dems want to give up to get? Nothing.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
See, when Obama, and you, say 'pass a budget', what you really mean is pass MY budget so I get what I want. The house passed at least 3 CR's in the last day or two, all of which were just ignored out of hand by Harry Reid. Even in the reagan days with Tip O'Neil, they compromised sometimes. Tip was a two-faced liar like most politicians, but you still negotiated and gave up something to get something. What do the Dems want to give up to get? Nothing.

LOL