What is Going Wrong With the Sox

Felix

I mean, I know it's still early, but this is the type of production we're getting out of the DH spot? Sure it's better than Mark Kotsay, but that's not saying much. We simply aren't going to win with this guy getting significant at-bats. Yeah, he'll hit some dingers, but his speed and inability to put the bat on the ball is going to do more damage than good. How are we supposed to score runs with him clogging the bases and striking out with runners on? That just isn't going to do our team any good.

I'll admit, I was excited when we first signed him. I thought, "Hell yeah! Another Paul Konerko!" But it's clear that Dunn is just a National League player who can't lead his team to any success. Ever wonder why he hasn't played in the playoffs? He clearly doesn't have what it takes to bring his team over the hump.

I know this isn't something people want to hear right now, but the sooner we admit the truth, the better the team will be in the future.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
He's 32 and it takes up to 6 weeks to recover from an appendix removal. He'll be fine.

He's 32 and we just gave him a 4 year deal. We need to cut him loose before his only positive trait (hitting dingers) disappears.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
Is this thread really here

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
^

I appreciate your insightful and productive replies in a thread meant for a serious discussion. Thank you.

I don't understand how you can disagree with me. Have you seen what Dunn's doing? Are you watching these games? We just had a prime situation with two runners in scoring position, and rather than do anything productive, he struck out. Rather than try to bloop a single over the infielders heads, Dunn was too concerned with getting his stats and hitting a dinger, which resulted in yet another strikeout. This is just unacceptable behavior, and is something that you'd never see out of our team's core (Pierzynski, Konerko). They understand what situational hitting is, something that Dunn hasn't been able to grasp in his 11 year career.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
I don't understand how you can disagree with me. Have you seen what Dunn's doing? Are you watching these games? We just had a prime situation with two runners in scoring position, and rather than do anything productive, he struck out. Rather than try to bloop a single over the infielders heads, Dunn was too concerned with getting his stats and hitting a dinger, which resulted in yet another strikeout. This is just unacceptable behavior, and is something that you'd never see out of our team's core (Pierzynski, Konerko). They understand what situational hitting is, something that Dunn hasn't been able to grasp in his 11 year career.

HE'S PLAYED 7 GAMES.

jesus people. this is awful.

LOL so Dunn's mere presence is a harbinger of doom for any team? Give me a break, we needed OBP and left handed power that year and holy s***, Dunn provides that. Who gives a f*** if he strikes out sometimes, you'll be happy when it's a three run homer lol. 40HR/100 RBI + high walks and K's? I'll take it.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
He's played over 1400 in his career and has never been on a team that won more than 80 games.

those teams also just happened to be the reds, nationals and diamondbacks.

this, ladies and gentlemen, is a prime example of a strawman argument, for those interested in the finer points of debate.

I don't know. I kind of agree with this thread. Dunn reminds me of one of those guys at the tail end of his career who just signed his last big contract and decided to cash it in. I don't blame him. I'd probably do the same, but I guess that's why it was a dumb contract to give out in the first place.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
those teams also just happened to be the reds, nationals and diamondbacks.

this, ladies and gentlemen, is a prime example of a strawman argument, for those interested in the finer points of debate.

It's an AWFULLY big coincidence that the Reds went from the NL Central's whipping boy to a 90 win team just two years after he was traded. They've improved every year since getting rid of him, something that we should hope for in the next couple of seasons.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
LOL so Dunn's mere presence is a harbinger of doom for any team? Give me a break, we needed OBP and left handed power that year and holy s***, Dunn provides that. Who gives a f*** if he strikes out sometimes, you'll be happy when it's a three run homer lol. 40HR/100 RBI + high walks and K's? I'll take it.

Just like Jim Thome, right? The White Sox were WORLD CHAMPIONS, then they traded for him and we promptly missed the playoffs in the next two years. There's a reason he's never won a ring.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)
It's an AWFULLY big coincidence that the Reds went from the NL Central's whipping boy to a 90 win team just two years after he was traded. They've improved every year since getting rid of him, something that we should hope for in the next couple of seasons.

um. it's really not.

Joey Votto, and decent pitching are what have led to their success. Home grown guys coming up through the minors... what does that have to do with Adam Dunn?

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 08:33 PM)
Just like Jim Thome, right? The White Sox were WORLD CHAMPIONS, then they traded for him and we promptly missed the playoffs in the next two years. There's a reason he's never won a ring.

... I'm speechless.

:unsure:

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)
I don't know. I kind of agree with this thread. Dunn reminds me of one of those guys at the tail end of his career who just signed his last big contract and decided to cash it in. I don't blame him. I'd probably do the same, but I guess that's why it was a dumb contract to give out in the first place.

He's 32...and a DH. I wouldn't say he's at the tail end of his career. And I really don't think he's mailing it in.