Marlins interested in Ozzie Guillen (again)

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 11:47 PM)
This story isn't going to play well on soxtalk.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/cowley/6074...-just-bolt.html

Save your time.

Comments coming:

-- Fire him now.

-- Let the big mouth go.

-- How much more can Jerry take from this guy?

-- I'm sick of Ozzie and his kids. Florida just take him now!! You can have him!!

Key the reaction in three, two, one ... Boom sox fans go get Ozzie.

“F--- loyalty,’’ Guillen said. “Like Juan Uribe says, ‘Twenty-one million is more than $20 million.’ ’’

That’s right. He quoted former Sox infielder/class clown Juan Uribe. :lolhitting

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
2.) I call for his firing cause this is the first year he's deserved to be canned by traditional baseball standards. High payroll, all-in, minimal results.

Plenty of managers should or should have been fired by those standards. Those are Yankee fan standards. Anything short of a WS is an epic failure.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 11:38 PM)
Plenty of managers should or should have been fired by those standards. Those are Yankee fan standards. Anything short of a WS is an epic failure.

Yes, but remember when manager salaries weren't quite as high where a start like the White Sox had (and are still having) would guarantee the skipper's axeing? Teams that have high expectations and suck eggs need scapegoats, i.e. the manager. Of course had we won the WS a year ago, the goodwill would still be there. But six years later, not so much. I think even Oz wouldn't have b****ed too much had he gotten the boot in May. Although he prolly woulda thrown KW and maybe some players under the bus.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
“F--- loyalty,’’ Guillen said. “Like Juan Uribe says, ‘Twenty-one million is more than $20 million.’ ’’

That’s right. He quoted former Sox infielder/class clown Juan Uribe. :lolhitting

Practice what you preach on loyalty OG bench Pierre............please leave after 2011.

you should keep spouting your opinion as fact on the baseball side

Forgive me for reiterating what was going on at the time. The Bulls (despite King Rose) were not looking very poised or in good shape and they got lucky with Thib who I don't think people expected to be as good as he did. The whole buzz at the time was that they didn't have many options for coaches and no one wanted the job. That's what was being said at the time. Don't blame me.

I think you are mixing up this coaching search with when they hired Vinnie.

I'm not. These were the signals I was getting from everything I saw that referenced the issue. The Bulls were NOT thought to be as good as they were this year, IIRC.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 03:38 AM)
Signing up to coach the Bulls wasn't all that desirable a job for Tom Thibodeau at the time, was it?

lol, how did you pull this gem of a post out of your ass?

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
No one wanted that job. Rose aside, the Bulls didn't look that good.

Generally teams with head coaching vacancies don't look that good, which is why the coach is fired and there's a vacancy in the first place. Unless it's Phil Jackson or Jerry Sloan retiring. A head coaching job in the NBA is a head coaching job in the NBA, and in the biggest basketball market in the country (it's not New York) with one of the best up-and-coming players in the league at 21 years old? Yeah I'd call that desirable

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 08:03 PM)
Forgive me for reiterating what was going on at the time. The Bulls (despite King Rose) were not looking very poised or in good shape and they got lucky with Thib who I don't think people expected to be as good as he did. The whole buzz at the time was that they didn't have many options for coaches and no one wanted the job. That's what was being said at the time. Don't blame me.

I dont blame you for anything except being wrong. Thats all. It was a very desirable job, the Bulls had money to spend, had Rose and Noah, already raised some eyebrows with even making the playoffs the previous two years. Thibodeau didnt fall into their lap and he isnt viewed as just some guy who turned out to be good as a head coach.

Nothing you said was happening around the time Thibs was hired, it was the Del Negro botched negotiations that it sounds like you are talking about

lol, how did you pull this gem of a post out of your ass?

Generally teams with head coaching vacancies don't look that good, which is why the coach is fired and there's a vacancy in the first place. Unless it's Phil Jackson or Jerry Sloan retiring. A head coaching job in the NBA is a head coaching job in the NBA, and in the biggest basketball market in the country (it's not New York) with one of the best up-and-coming players in the league at 21 years old? Yeah I'd call that desirable

I didn't pull anything out of my ass. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but these are the vibes I vividly remember there being when the Bulls were looking for a new coach (that it was a nightmare).

When Thibodeau got hired he was primed to be HC and had been ready for a while (maybe wanting him the first time is what's being talked about) and he wanted the job. And had LeBron come to Chicago after Thibs' hiring, well... yeah.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
When Thibodeau got hired he was primed to be HC and had been ready for a while (maybe wanting him the first time is what's being talked about) and he wanted the job. And had LeBron come to Chicago after Thibs' hiring, well... yeah.

then we would be b****ing about Lebron being unclutch in the 4th quarter all season

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
I dont blame you for anything except being wrong. Thats all. It was a very desirable job, the Bulls had money to spend, had Rose and Noah, already raised some eyebrows with even making the playoffs the previous two years. Thibodeau didnt fall into their lap and he isnt viewed as just some guy who turned out to be good as a head coach.

Nothing you said was happening around the time Thibs was hired, it was the Del Negro botched negotiations that it sounds like you are talking about

Yep, that was the whole mess with Doug Collins backing out, and then no one wanting to even interview here.

there is even a small part of Ozzie Guillen that longs to bolt the Chicago White Sox’s Jerry Reinsdorf for the Florida Marlins’ Jeffrey Loria, then everyone’s favorite tweeting manager is even nuttier than we thought.

Reinsdorf, one of the most loyal owners in sports, has employed Guillen through various controversies since 2004.

MLB

OLDIE BUT GOODIE

Jack McKeon is back, and that's a good thing for the Marlins, Jon Paul Morosi says.

Loria has changed managers five times since ’03.

No, Edwin Rodriguez didn’t get fired — he resigned. But Loria had ordered the dismissal of the Marlins’ hitting coach, John Mallee, earlier in the month. And he previously had dumped Joe Girardi and Fredi Gonzalez as managers.

Rodriguez, in the middle of a 1-17 stretch, probably surmised that he wasn’t getting a contract extension anytime soon. Loria, impatient and impulsive, is a South Florida version of the late George Steinbrenner, only without the wallet.

Now McKeon is back, 80 years young. Everyone in baseball loves McKeon, reporters perhaps most of all. But does anyone seriously believe that he was the most logical choice to serve as interim manager for the rest of the season?

Loria wanted to keep his options open for another run at Guillen or Bobby Valentine as the Marlins prepare to move into their new downtown ballpark in 2012. Still, as one GM said Monday, Loria could have found someone more in touch than McKeon to manage, or allowed Brandon Hyde to remain manager and hired another bench coach.

But no.

People forget, Rodriguez was an early Manager of the Year candidate when the Marlins were 29-19, a respected, dignified presence who even had shortstop Hanley Ramirez playing reasonably hard.

McKeon supposedly made a “statement” Monday night by benching Ramirez for lack of hustle. But Rodriguez made a more compelling statement, saying that the Marlins lack veteran leadership.

Tough thing to buy with a $56.9 million payroll, the seventh lowest in the majors.

True, not everything is perfect for Guillen with the White Sox. It’s possible, as he said Monday, that Reinsdorf and general manager Ken Williams will not want him back. But if Guillen is smart, he will do everything possible to stay.

Truth be told, he has it pretty good — particularly if the alternative is managing for Loria.

That's what Dan Gladden, a former Minnesota Twins outfielder who serves as a Twins radio analyst, suggested Wednesday on "The Danny Mac Show" on WSCR-AM 670.

"What Ozzie does well is he deflects the critcism from the players and I think every good manager does that," Gladden said. "That's why he'll have those outbursts and some embarrassing moments at times. He's deflecting the criticism from the players and it's on him.

"But at the same time, it's almost like enough is enough, it gets old, we've heard this, we've seen this before. Keeping guys loose in the clubhouse ... let the players dictate and decide what kind of a clubhouse they want, (it) shouldn't be decided by the manager. He's won a World Series, you can't take that away from him, but I think it'd be distracting as a player."

chicagotribune.com/sports

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
It seems like a lot of Chicago guys now- Phil Rogers, Todd Hollandsworth, etc- all think Ozzie will be gone after 2011.

If you look at the White Sox's current record, that's not a hard prediction to make.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
If you are using a term that describes an entire group of people as an insult, then yes, you are insulting an entire group of people. It is no different than using gay, f**, n*****, or anything else that falls into that category. Yes many people might use those terms as an insult. That doesn't lessen the effect of being considered some lesser person if you are in that group, because someone has decided that your term of description infers that you are somehow less than everyone else.

It was very interesting to me that you worded this the way you did. I seem to recall, several years ago, objecting to the use of a term that is "insulting to an entire group of people" right here on Soxtalk. I was pretty much b****-slapped into silence by a whole bunch of people. Yet, from time I still see the word used in the same derogatory here and there are never any objections to it. For the record, I agree with you here. I have recently seen a very effective commercial on TV ... The show a black man saying "It is not acceptable to call me a N*****", followed by a Hispanic man saying "It is not acceptable calling me a S***" and a Jewish man same sentence but with K***, etc .... ended with a young girl saying "It is not acceptable to call me a retard" ... and yes I used the actual word to make the point.

Jack McKeon was the logical choice for interim manager of Jeffrey Loria's Marlins but Ozzie Guillen is most likely the man in mind for 2012 --- if the White Sox would let him go. Last year, Chicago is said to have brought up the name Logan Morrison when the Marlins inquired about Guillen, but Guillen's stock within the Sox organization has dipped a bit with their surprisingly weak start. Sources indicate team owner Jerry Reinsdorf isn't necessarily thrilled by Guillen's public talk about his possibility of getting fired, either. His outspokenness isn't quite as amusing or endearing when his team isn't performing. However, with the Sox picking up Guillen's 2012 option early, outsiders say they believe he remains a long shot for the Marlins in 2012.
HMan.