AJ vs. Peavy thread

Balta1701

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coincidence or not, AJ's career win-loss record for teams he is on has to be ridiculously high. He is a jackass many times, but he also is a uber-competitor who wants to win. I happen to like his jackass attitude many times, but it does have the potential to rub many (including his teammates) the wrong way.

EDIT: I calculated his teams' win-loss records for every year he was a starter: 875-746, .540 winning percentage. Only been on a losing team twice (2007/2009 White Sox).

Year Wins Losses

2010 86 76

2009 79 83

2008 89 74

2007 72 90

2006 90 72

2005 99 63

2004 91 71

2003 90 72

2002 94 68

2001 85 77

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 03:47 AM)
AJ is an ass since he got in the league. Twins could not trade him fast enough the Giants just said anything for you to go and released him and Sox train is worn way thin. :bringit

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 03:50 AM)
It's amazing how many people are using their hate of Peavy/contract to defend AJ's actions.

It doesn't matter who the pitcher or catcher was in the situation. It's irrelevant.

1.) We don't win the WS without this prick.

2.) Who cares if AJ showed up Peavy. Did you want to lose the game? We were on our way to blowing another game. Thank you, AJ, for helping us win.

Everybody's afraid of Peavy, including Oz. I love what AJ did. Somebody now needs to man up to Dunn to wake his lard ass up.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)

2.) Who cares if AJ showed up Peavy. Did you want to lose the game? We were on our way to blowing another game. Thank you, AJ, for helping us win.

Everybody's afraid of Peavy, including Oz. I love what AJ did. Somebody now needs to man up to Dunn to wake his lard ass up.

I agree! (Although I don't think AJ is a prick.)

This.

I love how you make fun of Dunn for being out of shape when you're Bobby Jenks' #1 fan.

You're really something Greg.

And I'm sure not everybody is afraid of Peavy on the team.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
I guess we should all feel blessed this type of stuff has happened seemingly rarely with AJ while he's been with us. But I guess that's just how he is.

The only reason it's happened recently is because AJ has witnessed the Sox blowing leads because Ozzie has been late in pulling guys who have nothing left. The first time AJ ever did anything like this was that A's game when Santos clearly had nothing and Ozzie left him in to blow the game. And remember the last time Peavy pitched, he hurt his groin and admitted afterward that he couldn't throw any pitches where he wanted them yet he said nothing about the injury until after he blew the game by giving up six runs.

So tonight AJ witnessed Peavy losing his stuff and being hit around as the Cubs were coming back and Ozzie was leaving him in. I checked the game thread and several posters were calling for Ozzie to pull Peavy but it appeared Ozzie was going to leave him in one batter too long. Fortunately, he took him out in time.

Does anyone really believe AJ was trying to "show up" Peavy? It's not like a player throwing up his hands after a teammate makes an error. AJ was just trying to let the manager/pitching coach know that Peavy had nothing left. If AJ was "showing up" anyone, it would be Ozzie. But Ozzie didn't seem to take offense, in fact with Jake's history of hiding injuries, Ozzie was probably appreciative of AJ's input. If anyone can tell if a pitcher has lost his stuff or not, it's the catcher.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

Yes, Bobby ate himself out of effectiveness as well.

I just don't get the AJ hate on the incident.

He had to be scared to death Ozzie was going to leave in Mr. Moneybags.

I'm glad AJ freaked out. We need to win baseball games.

What does winning a world series 6 years ago have to do with AJ showing up one of our pitchers?

We don't win the World Series without Crede, Cliff Politte or Neal Cotts. Do you want them on the team too?

Also, AJ doesn't need to show the guy up to get him out of the game. It was obvious to everyone that he ran out of steam. He was coming out regardless.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)
LOL at anyone who thinks AJ was responsible for getting Peavy lifted from the game. Wow.

LOL - is Peavy paying you with all the money he makes (but doesn't earn) to defend his butt??? :gosox2:

... I honestly don't think I can take either side in this argument. I don't find either one especially right OR wrong, to be honest. I don't think it's very respectful of AJ to show up Peavy, but maybe AJ is suffering from some of the same frustration many of us as fans are suffering from with Ozzie's boneheaded decisions.

First of all, everyone is ASSUMING that Peavy was upset at AJ supposedly showing him up. No one knows that for sure.

Second, AJ pulled Peavy into the clubhouse hallway to discuss things out of the view of the camera. That's a great move.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 04:16 AM)
It was obvious to many, especially AJ, that he ran out of steam a few batters before Ozzie finally pulled him.

Exactly. Ozzie was pulling the being afraid of Peavy thing again.

AJ just freaked out, seeing the game being pissed away again.

I can't believe you guys are this thin skinned. This baseball team has blown SO MANY FRICKING GAMES this year.

AJ was seeing another being pissed away.

Thank you AJ.

@CSNChi_Beatnik Brett Ballantini

Peavy & AJ ate together postgame and still couldn't get their "stories" straight. Peavy admitted utter frustration at how his start ended......so it's a safe bet that Peavy kept on his self-disgusted muttering, aimed some at A.J., and A.J. took exception.

Yeah, everyone hates AJ. This is going to linger. Oh wait

Like I said, boys will be boys," Peavy said. "We are going to say stuff to each other at times that may not sit well with the other. Talk through it and get it straight. Like I said, I love A.J. Pierzynski to death. He competes his rear end off and has for many years. He won a World Series here. I would like to do that again with him."

Do the people thinking this is a huge deal ever have arguments with their wife or girlfriend or co-workers? Is any argument always the end of the relationship?

Edited by Dick Allen