Jerry must be so proud

fathom

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
And we're back....

Tonight's Ford Drive of the Game goes to Brent Morel with his 3rd inning towering pop up to the 2nd baseman.

That's a major league pop up right there.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
What if we got Hawk in on this conversation? What would his views be?

(Hawk accent in effect)

Well, I'll tell ya Stone Pony...back when I was playin' with the Carbines...(very long pause)...when we'd come up to bat...a pitcher wouldn't throw outside and only outside...cuz they knew we'd just start leanin' over the plate. Guys didn't just stand in one place in that batters box like they do today...it's a game of adjustments, Pony...

Adjustments.

Look at Paulie...constantly making adjustments...and that's how you get a 14,000 sq foot house in Scottsdale...adjustments.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
(Hawk accent in effect)

Well, I'll tell ya Stone Pony...back when I was playin' with the Carbines...(very long pause)...when we'd come up to bat...a pitcher wouldn't throw outside and only outside...cuz they knew we'd just start leanin' over the plate. Guys didn't just stand in one place in that batters box like they do today...it's a game of adjustments, Pony...

Adjustments.

Look at Paulie...constantly making adjustments...and that's how you get a 14,000 sq foot house in Scottsdale...adjustments.

I haven't laughed that hard in a while, thanks.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
I hate this "you're bigoted against bigots!!!" solipsism. No, it's not being a bigot to call out a bigot. Not all opinions are valid or equal. His views that children should lie about who they are or not turn to their parents in times of need because it might shame them are terrible.

Would we apply the same "everyone's got opinions, you can't call him a bigot!" standard to someone who came in from Stormfront?

I can't apologize since I don't know what you're specifically referring to (and searching via google is a pita), but I wouldn't call you that based on what you've posted itt.

My personal preference that I don't want a gay child is mine alone. It's a personal view that affects no one except my son, and even then, only if he's gay. And since I would never disown my son (BigSqwert would like to make it seem that way, but I never mentioned doing such a thing), it wouldn't even really affect him. If my son came out to me, I'd do whatever I could to help him, but secretly it would hurt. And in a way, there'd be part of me that would wish I'd never known about his sexuality. But that doesn't mean I'd abandon my duties as a father. That's all I said.

And frankly, the reason I wouldn't want an openly gay kid is because that's an extra struggle for him to face in life. Teenagers gotta enough s*** to deal with at that age without the added trouble of being gay. Why would I long for a kid that's going to be discriminated against more than he needs to be? What father would long for that for their kid? It's just a trouble he/she won't need.

I bring up the atheist thing because it's a judgement I could make about you (but choose not to, because I really don't care) that you wouldn't appreciate. I don't judge your atheism because as long as you don't decide to attack my Christianity, it's a personal belief of yours that doesn't affect me. Just like my internal reaction to my son's sexuality is a personal thing that doesn't affect you. And really, I don't even think your atheism is a terrible thing or whatever, because it doesn't affect me. I'm not gonna be so offended by something that doesn't affect me. However, if I chose to get in a huff about you being an atheist and tell you that it was a terrible view, I guarantee you'd cry for me to be banned and you'd whine about me judging you, while you do the very same thing to me. It's hypocritical beyond belief.

And then you go and try to backhandedly parallel me to some neo-Nazi punk from Stormfront. Pitiful.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 07:03 PM)
I'm not atheist! but I like that you know I'd cry for you to get banned, that's amazing precognition for me to suddenly start doing something I've never done before that you could pick up on after being here about 3 weeks!

You'd whine about being judged, and don't even act like you wouldn't. And that doesn't just apply to atheism. It applies to any view of yours that I could single out and call terrible. You'd cry nonstop about me passing judgment on you for a personal belief, while you feel free to do the same to me. It's arrogant and hypocritical.

We're not arguing facts on this thread. We're talking about personal beliefs. Again, who are you to tell me how I should feel personally? You can't name one way this belief of mine affects you, or anybody but maybe myself and my unborn son. I don't want a gay son but I'd still father him all the same if it happened that way. It doesn't even really affect him! Just me for the personal sadness that I would feel.

But you, in some twisted desire to advance your far left beliefs, try to act like I said I'd disown the kid, or something worse. And then you try to compare my beliefs to Nazism. That's absolutely outrageous.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
And frankly, the reason I wouldn't want an openly gay kid is because that's an extra struggle for him to face in life. Teenagers gotta enough s*** to deal with at that age without the added trouble of being gay. Why would I long for a kid that's going to be discriminated against more than he needs to be? What father would long for that for their kid? It's just a trouble he/she won't need.

Also wanted to quickly comment that this bulls*** doesn't fly for a second when you keep talking about shame and staying in the closet out of "respect for elders" and how you and any other "red blooded man" would be hurt for the rest of your life. This is just a weak backpedal that also assumes sexual orientation is a choice.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 08:14 PM)
You'd whine about being judged, and don't even act like you wouldn't. And that doesn't just apply to atheism. It applies to any view of yours that I could single out and call terrible. You'd cry nonstop about me passing judgment on you for a personal belief, while you feel free to do the same to me. It's arrogant and hypocritical.

lol tell me more about how I'd act like a big baby, just like you!

But you, in some twisted desire to advance your far left beliefs, try to act like I said I'd disown the kid, or something worse. And then you try to compare my beliefs to Nazism. That's absolutely outrageous.

No, I didn't compare your beliefs to nazism, or say you'd disown the kid. stop lying.

Oh, and remember when you gave me props for my post where I said I wasn't all that big into being a judgmental Christian? You approved and then noted that the approval was "unironic". But actually, it's quite ironic, since you have turned out to be one of the most unapologetically judgmental people I've encountered yet on this board.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
lol tell me more about how I'd act like a big baby, just like you!

No, I didn't compare your beliefs to nazism, or say you'd disown the kid. stop lying.

What am I whining about? I'm stating my beliefs and facing constant judgment from leftist extremists like yourself. You're the one whining about my personal beliefs.

As for what I said, think what you want, dude. The "red blooded" part has nothing to do with it. So take it anyway you want. I know what I believe, and you don't, although you'd like to think that you do so you can continue to judge.

Then you were called out for judging my personal beliefs and calling me a bigot, and your response was to bring up a normal reaction to a Stormfront troll. Really sounds like you're comparing me to a Stormfront Nazi, which is just lame.

I'm done with you. I'm never going to agree with you, and frankly, I find you detestable. You can judge me when you've bothered to serve your country. Bye.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
What am I whining about? I'm stating my beliefs and facing constant judgment from leftist extremists like yourself. You're the one whining about my personal beliefs.

As for what I said, think what you want, dude. The "red blooded" part has nothing to do with it. So take it anyway you want. I know what I believe, and you don't, although you'd like to think that you do so you can continue to judge.

Then you were called out for judging my personal beliefs and calling me a bigot, and your response was to bring up a normal reaction to a Stormfront troll. Really sounds like you're comparing me to a Stormfront Nazi, which is just lame.

I'm done with you. I'm never going to agree with you, and frankly, I find you detestable. You can judge me when you've bothered to serve your country. Bye.

:lolhitting

POST.OF.THE.YEAR

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
You can judge me when you've bothered to serve your country. Bye.

You can only be judged in any context by people who have also served in the military? I am so confused right now.

I think the thing that got me the most about the thread were the repeated sentiments that sexual orientation is a choice. Seriously?

But I'm just gonna cinch it up and hunker down.

Big post coming. Quin's had some catching up to do.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
I didn't tell my father that I suffered from depression and almost shot myself in the head because I didn't want to bring shame to him. That's not fear; that's respect for your elders. If my kid's gay, I'd rather he not tell me so I never have to know. It'd be the respectful thing to do.

That...that...is awful.

So you didn't want your dad to think you were being weak because you suffered from something that just about everyone suffers from? SHAME? If he was shamed that you almost shot yourself in the head, then he doesn't deserve a child's love or respect. Respect my ass. People with the view point that their loved ones are "perfect" deserve no respect.

Now, obviously I don't know your dad personally. He could be a wonderful man, but based on all I got (that statement alone), that is deplorable. It literally made me vomit in my mouth.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 08:49 PM)
Yet you'd probably cry like a little kid if I said your atheism constituted "pretty terrible views" (again, I'm assuming you're an atheist, but hopefully you see what I mean). Why are you judging me when you wouldn't appreciate being judged?

Why so quick to play an atheist card on someone you assume is atheist because they disagree with you? Is everyone that disagrees with you an atheistic, homosexual, non-American, non-Caucasian?

That's showing bigotry right there.

Also, it doesn't make sense considering atheism is, for lack of a better term, a LACK of religious VIEWS. He's not judging you based on your Christianity, conservatism, etc., just that you don't think gays are "respectable".

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
It's the way you are born. I guess people think you can turn it on and off.

You know what's f***ing deplorable? My gay uncle.

Let me preface with saying I hate the man, not because he's gay, but because gays are still humans, they can be vile, and he is an awful human.

But he might not have been had this stupid ass conception been drilled into his head that people can turn homosexuality on and off. He got married, had two kids. Came out of the closet. He berated his son in public for being lazy, eventually driving his son to drugs and he OD'ed and died. He also likes to talk about how he is in a love triangle and in Christmas cards talk about how is daughter is having sex with a black man.

The bolded is an awful person regardless of sexuality.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Being completely intolerant towards a specific group of people, be it political, ethnic, or other. IMO him giving his opinion that he wouldn't want a gay son doesn't go to that degree. He's not saying all homosexuals should be round up and shot. He's not saying we should discriminate against them (in fact didn't he acknowledge the problem with discrimination?) I just don't think it hit that line.

And I should make it clear that I don't agree with his opinions (in this thread and others). But as I've said in other threads, I feel like the dude is the only guy bringing the extreme conservative opinions to the board and he's instantly rejected and called an idiot and a bigot. That's f***ed up. I've heard a lot of stupid opinions on the other extreme that don't get the same reaction.

Probably cause his big thread was "Truth to unpatriotic liberals".

That's like me saying "All conservatives want for the United States to carpet bomb every other single nation for not being American."

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
So whenever you think something is wrong you're automatically discriminating? Really? It's that black and white?

No, but when you think an uncontrollable human condition (race, sexuality, religion to a degree, etc.) is wrong it sure is discrimination.

You know what? At Illinois' Boy's State last year, my county counselor and I got in a heated argument over how all the nations problems would be fixed if we profiled all Mexicans (it came up talking about the 4th amendment), all Muslims (and because Muslims can be black, blacks) boarding planes. My counter argument was what if my Half-black, fourth-Mexican, fourth-white friend was in Arizona and didn't have his wallet on him? Is it logical to just round him up and toss him in jail? Even though he was born in Illinois? The counselor's argument was "What if he farts in front of a church Sunday afternoon." What the f***?

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
A common line when people were participating in white flight was "I don't care if they work with me or can go anywhere, I just don't want to live next to em (black people)". Was that racist?

That was a meaningless counter-point. I see where you were going, but really, J4L said he doesn't want to be in an apartment WHEN his gay roommate is HAVING sex. Quite frankly, I don't wanna be in an apartment when a hetero or homo roommate is having sex. And I'm sure J4L doesn't get off when his hetero roommate does, but because it is familiar with his lifestyle, he is able to stand it more.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
Uh, yeah, when you think an entire minority population is morally inferior because of who they are, that's discrimination.

This was good point, acknowledging.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
You're right. So many teenagers make the decision to start being attracted to the opposite sex which in turn gets them ostracized & ridiculed by friends and even family, eventually causing an alarming amount of them to commit suicide. Strange that they make such a choice knowing it comes with those repercussions.

Yeah baby! Cause being gay has it's motherf***ing fabulous advantages.

For the record, my school was pretty cool with gays, and it was a majority black. It was just like, don't hit on someone continuously unless they actually are gay. So yeah, hitting on 'em once was cool, but if they told you to not it was respected. Vice versa for guys hitting on lesbians or girls hitting gays.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
No, just in my case that there's a time and place for everything. Any gay sex going down would not be the time or place for me. I'd have to go to a movie or another friend's house or something until they were done.

That's perfectly fine. It's not like you're throwing holy water on them telling them to stop sinning.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
I'd rather not live with blacks, they're just more prone to crime thanks to their thug culture. No right or wrong!

This was a dumb analogy, even in jest.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
I like Steve, but he's the most hard-headed mofo on this site.

Indeed he is. But everyone love's Steve cause he's awesome.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
When in doubt, let's pull the race card. Like I said, if your brother wasn't gay you wouldn't be nearly as anal about this.

First part gets a +1. Second part...eh. I feel the same and I despise my gay uncle.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
How many times have you called me a bigoted asshole? How many times have you brought up the color of my skin?

And having a brother that is gay also makes him oversensitive and hyperbolic.

See the above statement. Let's not bring race in for analogies guys as if that will make a magical point.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
No, he said that some gays are like that, flamboyant, and those are the ones he wouldn't want to live with. Some do act that way, I've hung out with them.

I just dislike flamboyant sexual people in general. No one cares who, what, where, why, or how you're f***ing.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
Why are you being so loud with your heterosexuality? I find it offensive.

This was good counter.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
Well, I mean, I wouldn't want to live with a huge Bro. A very flamboyant gay person might not fit your personality. But it also doesn't have much to do with them being gay.

Good point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
I think you missed the point here.

We hear constantly, in this thread, how people have no problems with gay people, they just wish they wouldn't wear the fact that they're gay on their sleeve all the time. Oh and did you see that girl at the party last night? Man she was so hot. Or here, take a look at my photos of my kids. Aren't they adorable?

If you can spot a guy within 10 seconds and say he's hetero, that's loud to me. There's a difference between that and the more reserved heteros.

THIS IS HOW A COUNTER-POINT IS MADE. Well, not the kids part, because gays are allowed to have kids.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
I'm sure Jordan feels much like he should be more tolerant with a couple of hundred posts telling what a bigot he is....

Honestly, if he really did hate gay people, I am not really sure that a lot of this thread would do to change his mind. Getting slammed from a couple of dozen different people at once isn't exactly an invitation to open your mind.

+1

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
Actually, it's not ok, which is why we call guys like that frat boy douchebags. I'm not sure who told you it's ok because they're straight, but it's not...and never has been. Just because HIS crew thinks it's ok, doesn't mean the rest of us think it's ok. The same way a very flamboyant homosexual's crew probably doesn't mind the extreme flamboyance.

I'm on an agreement streak now.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
We've just received 100$ on behalf of Ursla Nellias...Ursla Nellias......yyyyyeeessssss!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
What if Alex Snelius were gay? Would he still donate $100 for every White Sox home run?

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting