Jackson & Teahen to TOR for Frasor & Stewart (RHP)

macsandz

My initial reaction to the trade was that of relief. It would have been a net win for the Sox to get out of Teahen's contract by simply giving both he and Jackson away. The fact that they get the #4 prospect from Toronto, the owners of a fantastic minor league system, along with a good right handed reliever who will almost certainly qualify as a Type B free agent - the exact same thing as Jackson - and will serve a more distinct purpose in Chicago while allowing the Sox the option to keep him next year (I don't care either way, but with Infante and Reed on their way as well as both Santos and Crain under contract along with the possibility of finding a 3rd/4th right handed reliever for pretty much nothing while also considering payroll considerations going into next year...I hope that they don't pick it up but instead merely offer him arbitration and collect the compensatory pick).

I would say that the Sox are putting a lot of stock into the health of the rotation, namely Peavy, but at the same time, Stewart can probably step in and make a few starts and there are a couple other options in AAA so long as it's a very temporary fix.

I would also suggest that because the Sox have essentially gone with a 6 man bullpen all year - partly because of the 6 man rotation they used and partly because Santiago was so rarely used - that now is the time to simply DFA Bruney and call up Viciedo (whenever he gets healthy and gets a few games in him at AAA). You go with a bullpen of Santos, Sale, Crain, Thornton, Frasor, and Ohman which leaves you with depth on the bench and the ability to use Viciedo all over diamond (and by all over, I mean LF, RF, 1B, and DH - never, ever 3B). Lillibridge still seems too valuable to give up, even if Rios is relegated to the bench for the time being.

Bottomline - it's really nice to see some sort of shakeup within the clubhouse. Get the ball moving and maybe they take off. Hopefully they do.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got back Zach Stewart?! Nice. Kinda reminds me when the sox got Floyd. Once a highly touted prospect, then stock dropped alot, but still was attractive cause of his potential (though Floyds was much higher). Good change of scenery for him. At worst, he'll be a nice set-up guy in the future.

Edited by SoxAce

I think the Cardinals must be really nervous about offering Dotel arbitration and him accepting it.

Mozeliak should think twice about that one, especially with Octavio at age 37/38.

Don't think we'll DFA Bruney. Ozzie really likes him a lot and has consistently used him in more high-pressure late inning/close situations than he ever did with Tony Pena.

Still feel the thinking with Viciedo is that he should be playing at least 5-6 times per week. Maybe you can do that if you rotate him with Pierre/Quentin/Dunn/Konerko, but I can't imagine that KW or Ozzie want him to play all those multiple positions. They'd much prefer to keep him at one outfield position and let him get comfortable.

You could see Dayan taking all of Dunn's AB's against LH starters, but that's not going to be enough playing time. Ozzie won't bench Pierre or Quentin, that's obvious. And 3B is our real dire need from an offensive standpoint at the moment.

Edited by caulfield12

Bruney has always had issues with control.

But for the last guy in your bullpen, along with Ohman...to have someone with "veteran" experience who consistently throws 94-97 mph isn't something to be totally sneezed at, either.

You'd like to see what Cooper could do with him...if there's a progression with him over time with the big league club.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:32 AM)
Not a big fan of Stewart's secondary pitches from what I saw. But he does have a very nice fastball. If they can tune him up and improve his off-speed stuff he could be a viable candidate for the rotation. In the least, he has a big league arm, makeup, and should fit into the Sox staff in some capacity. Personally, he looks like a setup guy to me.

A lot of people have said that his secondary pitches aren't great but they aren't bad. Considering he spent 2 years with the Reds working as a reliever that isn't terribly surprising.

One thing worth remembering too is that if his main pitch is a 2 seamer, that works well in the Cell, and it's also something we haven't really featured in our rotation since Garland.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:46 AM)
Looks like his fastball has pretty good movement when he's throwing it dialed down to 90-92 MPH.

Stewart pitched around some pretty shoddy defense. LOL at Bautista's deke to fool Mark Reynolds into thinking he wasn't going to catch a pop-up and then doubling him off first with the strong throw from RF.

Noticed he wasn't throwing all fastballs...mixed in a nice assortment of offspeed stuff, enough to keep the hitters honest.

I hadn't even heard about that. Totally different than when ARod pulled the same thing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
The sound you just heard was the sound of Kenny Williams hanging up the phone.

I think I'll trust bucket-of-suck's post more when he said this.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
The White Sox DID NOT & DO NOT want Colby Rasmus. There was a deal with the Cards to acquire him if they wanted but they declined.

Rasmus exemplifies exactly what this team is steering clear of going forward and I applaud that:

La Russa was asked whether Rasmus is listening and responded tartly.

"Well, he's listening to somebody," the manager said.

Asked whether Rasmus is listening to the Cardinals' coaches, he was more direct.

"No, he doesn't listen to the Cardinal coaches much now, and that's why he gets in these funks, in my opinion," La Russa said.

It also makes ZERO sense unless there's a trade for Quentin (Phillies/Braves) or Rios (Brewers) already signed off on.

KW doesn't want to get in the same quandary he was with acquiring Jackson and then not being able to successfully spin him.

Having Rasmus, Rios, Quentin and Viciedo in the same outfield obviously doesn't add up. Actually, I'd say ANY trade putting Rios at a starting corner outfield spot is a disaster in waiting with how he's been trending.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)
I think I'll trust bucket-of-suck's post more when he said this.

It makes sense to me. I know how much regret there is for Jerry when it comes to Tony, so it wouldn't surprise me if he used his judgment in how he picks his players.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
Anyone think JR and his good friend had a conversation about Colby Rasmus?

Anyone think JR and TL may work together next year if this year does not go well and Albert is gone?

I hope they didn't talk about a player like that, because that would be really bad on Tony's part.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
I hope they didn't talk about a player like that, because that would be really bad on Tony's part.

Why? LaRussa said worse in the media. You think JR if he talks to TL couldn't ask about the personality of this kid and also see what is going on in Jackson's head.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
Why? LaRussa said worse in the media. You think JR if he talks to TL couldn't ask about the personality of this kid and also see what is going on in Jackson's head.

Yeah, when LaRussa publicly states that Rasmus doesn't listen to coaches, that tells JR all he needs to know.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
Yeah, when LaRussa publicly states that Rasmus doesn't listen to coaches, that tells JR all he needs to know.

Actually, that would probably be a positive thing for hitters in our organization. Buddy Bell has said numberous times that they tend to overcoach kids, and it backfires big time.

Players will have their own routine, and if that means they have a private hitting coach, then fine. I wouldn't get too upset over that, nor would I take it personally. That said, Rasmus will have to own up to his results if they are less than average while working with this coach, and it would be the manager's job to make sure that Rasmus has every resource he needs, but not to blast him in the media for getting outside help.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)

Cowley was speculating that KW is bringing in TLR next season and having Rasmus would derail that. I dont agree, I think the cards wanted a player that we didnt want to give up.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
Actually, that would probably be a positive thing for hitters in our organization. Buddy Bell has said numberous times that they tend to overcoach kids, and it backfires big time.

Players will have their own routine, and if that means they have a private hitting coach, then fine. I wouldn't get too upset over that, nor would I take it personally. That said, Rasmus will have to own up to his results if they are less than average while working with this coach, and it would be the manager's job to make sure that Rasmus has every resource he needs, but not to blast him in the media for getting outside help.

Right, but the player still needs to listen to his employer's coaches. If things have gotten to the point where LaRussa is airing dirty laundry to the public, you have to wonder about Rasmus' character.

If LaRussa is over-coaching his players, it isn't having much of a negative impact on his team. Dave Duncan's over-coaching of Jeff Weaver and Anthony Reyes worked out pretty well.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
Right, but the player still needs to listen to his employer's coaches. If things have gotten to the point where LaRussa is airing dirty laundry to the public, you have to wonder about Rasmus' character.

If LaRussa is over-coaching his players, it isn't having much of a negative impact on his team. Dave Duncan's over-coaching of Jeff Weaver and Anthony Reyes worked out pretty well.

Overcoaching happens in our system.

And LaRussa can be a punk and a douche big time, so I'm not shocked at all that he would go to the media because he doesn't like Rasmus. Although it's not a great indicator that Rasmus is a good character, it doesn't solidify it either.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:25 AM)

Wow, the Jays play terrible defense in that game. Our IF alone would have sucked up alot of those hits.

Wow, both teams ugh. Pitching to Bautista with 1B open? Idiotic.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
Cowley was speculating that KW is bringing in TLR next season and having Rasmus would derail that. I dont agree, I think the cards wanted a player that we didnt want to give up.

If that player was Sale, good move KW! Sale has ACE potential if a transition to starter goes smoothly.