Jackson & Teahen to TOR for Frasor & Stewart (RHP)

macsandz

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:50 AM)
I don't think this is White Flag stuff. It's not like it's Jackson and Teahen for prospects alone. Frasor is a good pitcher with a decent option for next year. If there is no money going to the Jays for Teahen, it'll be a better deal but still not great. I would think that this is step one of a series of deals, but many of us thought that about the Hudson for Jackson deal.

The rumored trade itself isn't White Flag II because the Sox can claim it's a win now while necessarily shedding payroll deal. But, rumor is there may be more coming involving Floyd and/or Danks, and THAT would mean we're giving up. And honestly, if we do that, I can't blame us.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
The enigmatic E-Jax is arguably the best starting pitcher on the market. If all you get is a B-prospect and a decent reliever (a soon-to-be 34-year-old one at that), then that is a major fail. I would rather have pressed on with E-Jax trying to win the division. It will all come down to the prospects we are getting back, but I will assume they will nothing like when KW traded Ray Durham for f***ing Jon Adkins.

I don't think he has all that much value. Not as much as we think. FA next year and I don't think teams in the pennant race expect him to perform with the pressure on. People will pay money for a guy like Edwin, but not in players. Kenny didn't just make this trade with the first caller, he knows what Edwin's value is.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
The enigmatic E-Jax is arguably the best starting pitcher on the market. If all you get is a B-prospect and a decent reliever (a soon-to-be 34-year-old one at that), then that is a major fail. I would rather have pressed on with E-Jax trying to win the division. It will all come down to the prospects we are getting back, but I will assume they will nothing like when KW traded Ray Durham for f***ing Jon Adkins.

The fact that he's the best starting pitcher on the market doesn't make him that good. it's also probably not true, esp. if the Sox are talking to people about Danks as well.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
I can accept the general concept of White Flag II. We went all in, but have been below .500 almost all season and aren't drawing many fans. My issue is if we go White Flag II and make bad trades.

You can't just give up and pull the plug on this close of a pennant race twice in 14 years. That's asking too much of your fans. Especially when we are "All In" and this division is All Suck.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Maybe Toronto feels bad for sticking us with Rios... but the story of KW not wanting Detroit to get him so he tried the block... he should have let Detroit claim Rios...can't stand watching Rios anymore much like everyone else.

Then you should be happy. If this deal goes through, it clears a roster spot for De Aza to come up, and at least you'll be seeing a platoon in CF for the rest of the season.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
You can't just give up and pull the plug on this close of a pennant race twice in 14 years. That's asking too much of your fans. Especially when we are "All In" and this division is All Suck.

I don't think they're too worried about massaging the fans right now since they haven't shown up to support "All In". But, in the fans defense, part of the reason they're not showing up is the team can't even play .500 ball.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Anderson Cooper's Quivering @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
If there is a trade in the works, it will need to be finalized/announced/etc so De Aza can be eligible to play in today's game at 1:00.

They dont need De Aza to play the game or even be there. we have Lilli.

Edited by Princess Dye

cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

So Toronto dumps a solid reliever to get a bad third baseman and a starter that is done in two months, plus they give a prospect?

Interesting take... and probably honest. It's hard to look at this deal in a vacuum and not constantly think of Daniel Hudson. Also, the BS (I called that from the get-go) idea that St. Louis would move Rasmus with Jackson as the main piece also got us all hopped up on crazy.

However, the deal is fair as stands, and rather dumb for the Jays if it happens.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)

The fans have never been "all in" this year.

In other words, we flipped the Great 24 year old Daniel Hudson for 33 year old Jason Frasor? Terrribbbbleee!

I don't understand the logic of trading a starter away if we are going to compete now. If trade goes through, we will be down to 5 starters plus Sale. And I am not sure if anyone will put faith in Peavy to stay healthy for the rest of the year, not to mention his strings of bad starts after the complete game.

Unless there is a trade for another starter (Beachy?) on the horizon, if Peavy goes down, we would have to replace him with someone from Triple A. But wouldn't it be a less risky move if we replace a reliever from Triple A? P.S. Brian Bruney has been a very good RHP out of the pen lately.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

So Toronto dumps a solid reliever to get a bad third baseman and a starter that is done in two months, plus they give a prospect?

Interesting take... and probably honest. It's hard to look at this deal in a vacuum and not constantly think of Daniel Hudson. Also, the BS (I called that from the get-go) idea that St. Louis would move Rasmus with Jackson as the main piece also got us all hopped up on crazy.

However, the deal is fair as stands, and rather dumb for the Jays if it happens.

My issue in this trade is the White Sox are basically wasting Edwin Jackson's (he'd bring back way better than this on his own) value in order to get rid of a bad contract (Teahen). It's why I think this is a pretty bad trade. Also, Ozzie Guillen's favorite family member fails to point out that the "solid reliever" we get is also "done in two months".

Edited by whitesoxfan101