Jackson & Teahen to TOR for Frasor & Stewart (RHP)

macsandz

In the next labor negotiations which will start this offseason their is already talk about getting rid of Type B compensation. Type A/B Compensation for free agents will be changed because do you think anyone in the league agrees that you should get a supplemental first round pick for Jason Frasor.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost in the discussion could be a way of finding enough cash to sign Mark Buerhle after this year. The savings of both E-Jax and Teahen for the rest of this year, plus next for Teahen, even after factoring Frasor's option, could help. It'll take more. But it's a start.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:53 AM)
I'm somewhat surprised that so many people think "but Jackson is worth so much!" is a reason why this can't be true.

Guess it kinda reminds me of the people who were mad that we didn't get more for Vasquez, as though teams really wanted him

Its amazing when he pitches he sucks but if he's getting traded he so valuable. If Edwin Jackson for 2 months is worth as much as a lot of people claim, they really shouldn't be complaining about losing Daniel Hudson for him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:59 AM)
Its amazing when he pitches he sucks but if he's getting traded he so valuable. If Edwin Jackson for 2 months is worth as much as a lot of people claim, they really shouldn't be complaining about losing Daniel Hudson for him.

That's what I don't understand. If this trade were to go down, and the Sox don't send any cash for Teahen, I don't mind the deal. And as far as talking about Hudson, he's not part of tis proposed deal because he's not part of the Sox organization. Can't live in the past, even though hindsight is 20/20. KW has to work with what he has, and we as fans have to accept that.

Even for a team like the Yankees, Jackson would be worth at most 2 wins this season over throwing some other scrap out there. He's not cliff lee-ing some team to the series. Teams are too smart about player evaluations to give away guys who could be worth 20 wins over the next 5 years for 2 wins this year. Well, most teams.

What it boils down to - this can be analyzed in a longer term or shorter term fashion. You can call this s***ty GMing if you look at it over a multiyear period, with Hudson involved.

But when you look at what we need to get better right now, then it's fine...because we need to spend to get better (sadly) and I'd rather lose Teahen than most of the other '12 salaries.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:40 AM)
It actually makes the Hudson trade less awful. It would mean 1 1/2 yrs of Jackson [which he did better than expected], 1 1/2 yrs of Frasor [a solid bet to do well], one less year of Teahen, and then a possible pick as Type B after 2012 for Hudson. It's still a bad trade in hindsight. Yet it's probably less awful if this does go through.

5+ years of Hudson. 5+. It was an awful deal anyway you try and slice it.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:59 AM)
Lost in the discussion could be a way of finding enough cash to sign Mark Buerhle after this year. The savings of both E-Jax and Teahen for the rest of this year, plus next for Teahen, even after factoring Frasor's option, could help. It'll take more. But it's a start.

We will for sure have Jackson and Pierre off the books next year even if this deal doesn't go down. I'm not sure on their exact salaries but I think Jackson and Pierre are about $8,000,000 each. Combine that with Buehrle's 14,000,000 and that's $30,000,000 off the books right there. Plus, I feel CQ will be traded. If they can shed Teahen's contract, that's just icing on the cake, but I don't think this current rumored trade is the best way to do it. Their should be money in there to re-sign Buehrle cause I don't think he will try to break the bank.

I can't imagine JR letting Buehrle walk. Even if KW doesn't want to re-sign Buehrle (I have no idea his thoughts), I see JR doing like he did with Frank Thomas around 2002, when Frank and JR sat down and hashed out a deal without KW.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
5+ years of Hudson. 5+. It was an awful deal anyway you try and slice it.

I said less awful. The 1 1/2 yrs Jackson gave have been decent. He's given the sox a chance to win each time out. And Frasor also could be good for the next 1 1/2 yrs, ala what Crain has done so far this year. It doesn't make the Hudson deal a wash-far from it. But overall, this proposed JAckson deal has some merit and benefit for the sox. Building the bullpen, also helps the SP. Plus, subtracting Teahen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:53 AM)
I'm somewhat surprised that so many people think "but Jackson is worth so much!" is a reason why this can't be true.

Guess it kinda reminds me of the people who were mad that we didn't get more for Vasquez, as though teams really wanted him

I was making fun of foolish posters telling me Jackson was worth more than Colby f***ing Rasmus.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
We will for sure have Jackson and Pierre off the books next year even if this deal doesn't go down. I'm not sure on their exact salaries but I think Jackson and Pierre are about $8,000,000 each. Combine that with Buehrle's 14,000,000 and that's $30,000,000 off the books right there. Plus, I feel CQ will be traded. If they can shed Teahen's contract, that's just icing on the cake, but I don't think this current rumored trade is the best way to do it. Their should be money in there to re-sign Buehrle cause I don't think he will try to break the bank.

I can't imagine JR letting Buehrle walk. Even if KW doesn't want to re-sign Buehrle (I have no idea his thoughts), I see JR doing like he did with Frank Thomas around 2002, when Frank and JR sat down and hashed out a deal without KW.

Seeing what PK has done this year, I too think getting a deal done for Mark is on for the offseason.

I don't think this would be a salary dump only. Like I said, Frasor would help the bullpen. Yet the Teahen savings does make a difference.

And more deals could be made as well. If not by the deadline, Quentin in the off-season makes sense.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)
Seeing what PK has done this year, I too think getting a deal done for Mark is on for the offseason.

I don't think this would be a salary dump only. Like I said, Frasor would help the bullpen. Yet the Teahen savings does make a difference.

And more deals could be made as well. If not by the deadline, Quentin in the off-season makes sense.

Yea we have a ready-made replacement for CQ at about 1/8th the cost. I hate to see him go, but trading him just makes too much sense whether it's this year or in the off-season.

I don't think Frasor is a lights-out reliever by any means, but I would imagine if they do make this trade, they will pick up his option. 3.75mil ain't too bad for what he will give you.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:22 AM)
Heath Bell makes about as much sense as Edwin Jackson. That team is what? 10 out in the wild card and they're interested in a soon-to-be free agent closer? Is it odd that Rosenthal's report almost lends credence to the Jackson rumor?

It's for the draft picks. If the Jays think the draft picks they obtain for Bell are better than prospects they give up, it makes sense for them in that way.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:44 AM)
It's for the draft picks. If the Jays think the draft picks they obtain for Bell are better than prospects they give up, it makes sense for them in that way.

It still makes no sense. Give up good prospects closer to the Show for unknown draft picks who will undoubtedly be further away than the guys you're giving up? I've really started to hate the trade deadline the last few years. Twitter has given the entire world a license to be stupid.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:22 AM)
I was making fun of foolish posters telling me Jackson was worth more than Colby f***ing Rasmus.

Or that Jackson was worth one of the Yankee top prospects. The guy is a #4 starter who's about to become a FA in two months. You're not getting anything that on the surface appears to be of any value. KW f***ed up. I think it's time people come to that realization.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
It still makes no sense. Give up good prospects closer to the Show for unknown draft picks who will undoubtedly be further away than the guys you're giving up? I've really started to hate the trade deadline the last few years. Twitter has given the entire world a license to be stupid.

I've accused you plenty of times of overvaluing prospects/draftees. I think you're right on here...that kind of idea is way overvaluing draft picks.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:13 AM)
This is so incredibly hypocritical it boggles my mind. You obviously dislike KW for some reason. Just say it. Because there's no sensible reason for you to be saying any of this. You can't pretend you know so much as a fan and then turn around and say, "Well, I'm not a GM!"

"Boy, I really liked what KW did with this team. Should be a hell of a ballclub."

"Oh wait, the guys are underachieving and a lot of them are having the worst years of their careers. KW sucks!"

:notworthy

This whole "story" surrounding a late-night trade rumor tweet reminds me of the Zack Greinke trade. Some random dude tweeted a Brewers beatwriter at 2am that he had a source saying that the Brewers traded for Greinke... only to have the Beat Writer publicly ridicule him. Next morning, the writer had egg on his face.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:40 AM)
fwiw, Frasor's contract has a 2012 club option at $3.75M

That is where the value is in this trade. You get a pretty lights out bullpen through the end of next season and dump money in the mean time. The minor leaguer will probably be pretty midding but the Sox needed to move payroll with attendance down and you move two excess pieces that you wont really miss down the stretch. This is not the blow up the team move that people were expecting, that will likely not happen until Sunday, if at all, depending on how the standings look at that point.

k0na Doug Seyller

#WhiteSox Jackson and Teahen going to Toronto for frasor and a minor leaguer...de aza coming up from minors.

10 hours ago

ImDaBaron James Bond

@k0na and how do you know this?

10 hours ago

in reply to ↑

Doug Seyller

@k0na Doug Seyller

@ImDaBaron I'm sorry but I can not reveal my sources. Go Sox!

I am starting to feel this trade is a done deal now. We are just waiting for the announcement. This guy seems to have the inside track on the deals.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
k0na Doug Seyller

#WhiteSox Jackson and Teahen going to Toronto for frasor and a minor leaguer...de aza coming up from minors.

10 hours ago

ImDaBaron James Bond

@k0na and how do you know this?

10 hours ago

in reply to ↑

Doug Seyller

@k0na Doug Seyller

@ImDaBaron I'm sorry but I can not reveal my sources. Go Sox!

I am starting to feel this trade is a done deal now. We are just waiting for the announcement. This guy seems to have the inside track on the deals.

Not the answer I was looking for when I asked him where he got this from.