Thornton to the Texas Rangers?

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
Danks, Thornton and Rios for Holland, Young and a pitching prospect?

I'd maybe do that if the pitching prospect was top shelf type prospect. If we did make that trade, even with Young, we're probably not gonna win the division.

Holland is terrific, but isn't as consistent yet as Danks...the pitching prospect no matter how good is a wildcard and we'd take a lefty out our pen.

Our team SHORT term would not be as good.

Long term it could be a major win. Not sure you take this particular gamble with the division on the table.

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

#yankees indeed among teams to inquire about available matt thornton. #chsox, #tradedeadline

Not exactly difficult to figure out why Kenny is dangling Thornton, aside from the contract, frightening start to the season and our good of lefty reliever depth Matt Thornton is a hot commodity on the trade market, get a few teams bidding against each other and we could get a very nice return.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
Pass

Need someone who can play the field. Young is beyond awful defensively.

And we'd be down to 4 starters.

As much as I hate Peavy, Rios is the one with the contract that will hamper us a lot more.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

#yankees indeed among teams to inquire about available matt thornton. #chsox, #tradedeadline

Not exactly difficult to figure out why Kenny is dangling Thornton, aside from the contract, frightening start to the season and our good of lefty reliever depth Matt Thornton is a hot commodity on the trade market, get a few teams bidding against each other and we could get a very nice return.

Especially when two of the teams are the Yankees and Red Sox.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)
Pass

Need someone who can play the field. Young is beyond awful defensively.

And we'd be down to 4 starters.

We need offense and salary relief Young/Peavy contracts basically a wash. Sox won't be able to sign Danks soon so we get a cheap cost controlled player in Holland and replacement for Danks in the rotation. We need hitting desperately and Young sure can provide that . Can always call up Zach Stewart for the other spot. Texas gets plenty of pitching back but loses a big bat and gains salary. I'm not sure they would do it.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
We need offense and salary relief Young/Peavy contracts basically a wash. Sox won't be able to sign Danks soon so we get a cheap cost controlled player in Holland and replacement for Danks in the rotation. We need hitting desperately and Young sure can provide that . Can always call up Zach Stewart for the other spot. Texas gets plenty of pitching back but loses a big bat and gains salary. I'm not sure they would do it.

That's why trading holland for danks makes no sense for the rangers, they're basically the same pitcher

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
You don't think they CAN win the division or they WILL? There is a pretty big difference.

It would take Rios and Dunn getting their stuff together and/or the Tigers having injuries.

I really do think the Tigers will maintain their 1st place status. I don't think the Sox will ever pass them in the standings.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
That's why trading holland for danks makes no sense for the rangers, they're basically the same pitcher

Danks is better right now . Costs more but hey you're a contender , you want pitching? Here's 2 starters for 1 of yours. 3 quality ML pitchers for your WS run.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
Danks is better right now . Costs more but hey you're a contender , you want pitching? Here's 2 starters for 1 of yours. 3 quality ML pitchers for your WS run.

Unfortunately for us not every GM dismisses the future for the present. No way Texas even considers that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
But changing out Danks for Zack Stewart basically means you're surrendering 2011.

That's one thing that KW won't do, unless he's simply overwhelmed with an offer that brings back major league ready pitching of a higher caliber than Stewart.

I don't think it necessarily is a surrender. Stewart has pitched in the bigs this year. Wasn't bad. Offense gets much better then even better when Viciedo is healthy and called up. Only need 4 starters for the playoffs anyway and we have the depth in the bullpen to overcome some starter problems.

Anyway I was being " creative" .That's what Kenny needs to with some of these big salaries and under performing players. Pretty sure Young wouldn't under perform as he's been on fire lately.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
It would take Rios and Dunn getting their stuff together and/or the Tigers having injuries.

I really do think the Tigers will maintain their 1st place status. I don't think the Sox will ever pass them in the standings.

I think they will too, but I also think we can get hot and win the division. I don't think we will, but it isn't all that unlikely with our pitching. That is the diliemma KW is in.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
Unfortunately for us not every GM dismisses the future for the present. No way Texas even considers that.

It's only one tiny piece of their future and they'd still have Danks for next year too and can work on extending him. 3 of their top 4 prospects are pitchers and weren't included in my trade. I think they'd be more hesitant to take on the salary and give up a big bat than they would be about giving up Holland.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside