All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)
Agree with all of the above. US looked awful for the most part. I really like Zardes and Yedlin, but they are a forward and fullback, respectively, not mid fielders. Chandler is so weird. He's constantly graded as one of the better RBs in the Bundesliga but just looks terrible on the National team. I don't know why Eric Lichaj can't get a call. And Alvarado is not ready for this stage either. Gonzalez should be there. It sounds ridiculous, but I can actually see a scenario where Cameron Carter Vickers is one of our starters at CB in 2018.

And yes, that ref was completely over his head last night.

I can see where Klinnsman is going with putting those two on the wings. Both have a ton of pace, but if you want that pace to really shine, don't play them as side mids in a 41212. Play them as wingers in a 433. Neither are technical enough to play as an outside mid effectively.

I'd much rather have Yedlin playing as the RB and Zardes as a CAM or a substitute striker.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 08:23 PM)
Lol @ FS1 mic picking that up. f*** you, you piece of s***. Unless I missed it, don't understand why FS1 didn't put up a good review of that offsides which negated the goal.

You didn't. Looked onside to me on the quick replay they showed.

I couldn't watch again, but I saw we should have had an extra goal.

Also, I heard Jozy sucked. Play Johansson and Zardes up top against Panama. The game means nothing, better experiment and let the younger guys have a go at it.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 01:53 AM)
After beating a depleted Cuba team 6-0, Mexico drew with Guatemala. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And we thought the USMNT were underperforming...

Jamaica and T&T are the two teams that are playing up to or above their potential right now.

Mexico hasnt been that great this year and without Hernandez who knows.

Costa Rica?? Very uninspiring showing so far. Welcome back to reality?

7 of the 12 teams still havent lost a match yet. 3 of the 7 havent won a match either. It should make for a real interesting Hex. Might see a few different teams make a run for the the last automatic spot and the playoff spot. And of the possible different teams, I think it's safe to eliminate one and that is Canada. How bad are they? If there was ever be a time to be average by CONCACAF standards and make a run, this would be the cycle.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 10:24 PM)
Johansson is so impressive

Aron and Zardes have both impressed me a lot more than Jozy. As a team we've been bad, but he's been terrible so far. They need to play better or we're not even making the finals.

And also, really Mexico? An uninspired draw versus Guatemala. Oy.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
Jamaica and T&T are the two teams that are playing up to or above their potential right now.

7 of the 12 teams still havent lost a match yet. 3 of the 7 havent won a match either. It should make for a real interesting Hex. Might see a few different teams make a run for the the last automatic spot and the playoff spot. And of the possible different teams, I think it's safe to eliminate one and that is Canada. How bad are they? If there was ever be a time to be average by CONCACAF standards and make a run, this would be the cycle.

The format is awful. Cuba is so, so bad. They were the first team in the world to get eliminated for the '18 world cup, and have looked dreadful in 2 games thus far. Yet withe a W they'll be in the final 8 of concacaf more than likely. Gold cup needs to expand to 16 or reduce the playoffs to 6.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)

Keylor Navas saved Costa Rica's ass over and over again in the WC. He's not playing in the Gold Cup, so that could be why they look so uninspiring.

Watched the second half. The US had some good chances, but only converted one. Oh well, we didn't need a win.

Ref was absolute s*** though. Bedoya should have had a penalty and there were a lot of 50/50 calls that didn't go the USMNT's way in the second half. Guzan was awesome at the end of the game.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 11:39 PM)
Watched the second half. The US had some good chances, but only converted one. Oh well, we didn't need a win.

Ref was absolute s*** though. Bedoya should have had a penalty and there were a lot of 50/50 calls that didn't go the USMNT's way in the second half. Guzan was awesome at the end of the game.

Bedoya was just outside of the box but it was still a foul.

Chandler flat out sucks. Frustrating to know the only reason he's on this team is because he's German and JK pushed so hard to get him to make the switch. Alvarado sucks too.

Tonight showed why Wondo is so useless. Unless it is a lucky bounce where he's standing at the right spot, he doesnt bring anything to the table.

I'm starting to think there might be something towards the talk that the US is better against more technical teams. It is almost as if they cant handle playing the CONCACAF style of getting hacked to death anymore under Klinsmann.

And Yedlin needs to stop diving out there. He isnt getting the calls and he has no credibility it seems because he goes down so easily.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 11:39 PM)

This was one of the poorest officiated games in seen in a real long time. The ref was clueless and let the US get demolished all night long, rarely calling fouls. Bedoya was just outside of the box, but it was still just about the most obvious foul ever and to me was also an obvious DOGSO and should have been a straight red. One of the worst missed calls I've ever seen. CONCACAF officiating at it's finest.

USA again played fairly poorly. Very uninspiring group in the back. Johansson played well again though. I'd like to see him get some more run up top. Bedoya is our best MF not named Michael Bradley. He needs to be on the wing every time he's available.

Bedoya was fouled just outside the box, but should have been a free kick at close range. Should have been an offsides on Panama's goal though. Not the goal scorer but the assister was clearly offsides when the ball was played into him.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 07:45 AM)
This was one of the poorest officiated games in seen in a real long time. The ref was clueless and let the US get demolished all night long, rarely calling fouls. Bedoya was just outside of the box, but it was still just about the most obvious foul ever and to me was also an obvious DOGSO and should have been a straight red. One of the worst missed calls I've ever seen. CONCACAF officiating at it's finest.

USA again played fairly poorly. Very uninspiring group in the back. Johansson played well again though. I'd like to see him get some more run up top. Bedoya is our best MF not named Michael Bradley. He needs to be on the wing every time he's available.

This ref was the same one who called Argentina vs. Colombia in the Copa America. That game was a f***ing blood bath as Colombia fouled Messi every chance they got and got away with it most of the time. Cuadrado should have gotten at least 4 yellows and stayed on somehow.

He even told Messi something along the lines of this is America, we don't play football like it's played in Europe.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 07:45 AM)
Bedoya was fouled just outside the box, but should have been a free kick at close range. Should have been an offsides on Panama's goal though. Not the goal scorer but the assister was clearly offsides when the ball was played into him.

I didn't get a chance to watch the foul, but I saw the replay and thought it was in the box.

And yeah, the Panama goal was definitely off-sides. The officiating just didn't go our way.

This is kind of why I hate group stages in tournaments--you win your first two games and you have your spot locked up in the next round. You're playing to win the tournament so you do the right thing and rest Dempsey the first half and try a couple guys in new spots. Then you end up with a draw instead of a win which costs you world ranking points.

I was thinking of this lineup for the knockout round:

Zardes Johannsson

Dempsey

Zusi Bradley Bedoya

Johnson Gonzalez Evans(Brooks after suspension) Yedlin

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
This is kind of why I hate group stages in tournaments--you win your first two games and you have your spot locked up in the next round. You're playing to win the tournament so you do the right thing and rest Dempsey the first half and try a couple guys in new spots. Then you end up with a draw instead of a win which costs you world ranking points.

Zardes Johannsson

Dempsey

Zusi Bradley Bedoya

I have a feeling Klinsmann will play Dempsey up top and Bradley as a CAM. Jozy is out for the tournament. Jordan Morris just got surgery and Bobby Wood isn't on the provisional roster. Somebody's gonna have to come up, but I doubt they'll see the field much.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
I'm sure at some point people who have run out of other things to complain about will start complaining, but "Blackhawk" has never been a derisive term the way "Redskin" has, so I don't see the complaining generating any sort of similar results.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)

Zardes Johannsson

Dempsey

Zusi Bradley Bedoya

I like that lineup.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 12:30 PM)
I have a feeling Klinsmann will play Dempsey up top and Bradley as a CAM. Jozy is out for the tournament. Jordan Morris just got surgery and Bobby Wood isn't on the provisional roster. Somebody's gonna have to come up, but I doubt they'll see the field much.

Was Agudelo on the provisional? He could add some speed up top as a sub. Also hearing that DMB might get brought in to play LB. That would allow Fabian Johnson to play a midfield wing position where I think he could very dangerous.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
I like that lineup.

Was Agudelo on the provisional? He could add some speed up top as a sub. Also hearing that DMB might get brought in to play LB. That would allow Fabian Johnson to play a midfield wing position where I think he could very dangerous.

I think he is. If they bring up a forward, it'll probably be him.

So (barring the very unlikely event that Mexico loses and Guatemala wins and the combined goal differential in the two games is > 8) Costa Rica, Mexico, T&T and Panama are all going to be in the opposite side of the bracket from the US.

Really exciting game between Mexico and Trinidad & Tobago.

El Tri with only 5 points in the group stage. Poor showings for the 3 top teams in CONCACAF so far.

Costa Rica and Mexico are both on the other side of the bracket. We should have it easy against Cuba. Jamaica's the other 1 seed and they're actually a solid team.

Edited by chw42