Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
He's a White Sox legend.

That's why I said I "desperately" want to keep him.

If Sox are too cheap and want to slap the loyal fans in the face and let him go, then I'd rather see him stay in Chicago and not be on the f***ing Twins beating us six times a year and like somebody said, no-hitting us, which he would.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)

If Sox are too cheap and want to slap the loyal fans in the face and let him go, then I'd rather see him stay in Chicago and not be on the f***ing Twins beating us six times a year and like somebody said, no-hitting us, which he would.

It makes NO business sense whatsoever for the Sox to sign a borderline #2/#3 veteran starter to a multiyear deal at $12m-$15m per year right now. If KW signs Buerhle ot anything other than a below-market deal, THAT will be slapping the fans in the face.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)

Have you ever lived in Chicago?

I love him as much as the next White Sox fan.. but it just throwing money away to keep him. The Sox are no closer to making the playoffs with him as they are without him. He like Frank will go play for another team for 2-3 years hang them up, come back and have a statue made and retired # (that might be stretching it).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

Source: #Twins also on Buehrle, joining #Nationals, #Marlins, #Rangers. Offer not as strong. Others believed 3 yrs in $36-39M range. #MLB

Interesting - $12M-$13M per for 3 years. I was saying before all the sweepstakes he'd get less than his last contract, and everyone scoffed. He's not likely to get the 4/$56 kind of deal people are talking about, unless one of those teams goes nuts.

At 3/$36-$39, if the Sox can move a few salaries, I'd love to see them do it. And I still stick with my earlier assertion, 60% chance he stays.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
I love him as much as the next White Sox fan.. but it just throwing money away to keep him. The Sox are no closer to making the playoffs with him as they are without him. He like Frank will go play for another team for 2-3 years hang them up, come back and have a statue made and retired # (that might be stretching it).

Oh, Buehrle will absolutely get his # retired.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
Interesting - $12M-$13M per for 3 years. I was saying before all the sweepstakes he'd get less than his last contract, and everyone scoffed. He's not likely to get the 4/$56 kind of deal people are talking about, unless one of those teams goes nuts.

At 3/$36-$39, if the Sox can move a few salaries, I'd love to see them do it. And I still stick with my earlier assertion, 60% chance he stays.

Buehrle's agent will come back to the Sox and present them the ballpark his value is and they will get their shot. JR will also be involved. I wouldnt be all that nervous unless someone comes out of the woodwork and offers him 15 mil a year.

If it's true the Sox won't give more than 2 years, then I still think he leaves for a 3-year deal and a full no-trade from an NL team.

The rumor out there now is CJ Wilson has a 6-year offer from somebody. If that's the Angels, he's going there. Then it would open up the Nationals to offer Buehrle possibly a 4th year or maybe just an option for a 4th year. I really think he's going there unless the Nationals were the team to offer Wilson six years.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
Then it would open up the Nationals to offer Buehrle possibly a 4th year or maybe just an option for a 4th year. I really think he's going there unless the Nationals were the team to offer Wilson six years.

I sure hope so. I'd like to watch him dominate the NL.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
I sure hope so. I'd like to watch him dominate the NL.

Agreed. It just feels like a great fit for Buehrle at this point of his career.

And Wilson seems like a better fit for the Angels with him being from there, and would be part of a rotation that he doesn't have to be an ace.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)

Oh God, shut up.

And this:

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)
It makes NO business sense whatsoever for the Sox to sign a borderline #2/#3 veteran starter to a multiyear deal at $12m-$15m per year right now. If KW signs Buerhle ot anything other than a below-market deal, THAT will be slapping the fans in the face.

It's still pretty early in the process. If multiple teams are already out there offering 3 years and almost $40 million, then that can easily grow quite a bit.

The Sox are talking about moving what they can and getting prospects and salary relief. If they do trade CQ, Danks, Flloyd, and Thornton as rumored why in Hell would they resign Buehrle for 3 years and 39M. Its one or the other, you keep em all, resign Buehrle and add other pieces, or you sell off reduce payroll and rebuild the farm. One or the other, and from what has been said thus far what on earth makes u think 60% chance sox essentially go All in again and thus retain Buehrle.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
Oh God, shut up.

And this:

Fans polled in Lawrence, Kansas disagree and think Buehrle not being signed will result in billions in lost in attendance revenue and our not winning the World Series the next three years.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
Fans polled in Lawrence, Kansas disagree and think Buehrle not being signed will result in billions in lost in attendance revenue and our not winning the World Series the next three years.

It will somehow also directly result in the Marlins winning those three World Series, even if Buehrle doesn't sign there.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
The Sox are talking about moving what they can and getting prospects and salary relief. If they do trade CQ, Danks, Flloyd, and Thornton as rumored why in Hell would they resign Buehrle for 3 years and 39M. Its one or the other, you keep em all, resign Buehrle and add other pieces, or you sell off reduce payroll and rebuild the farm. One or the other, and from what has been said thus far what on earth makes u think 60% chance sox essentially go All in again and thus retain Buehrle.

It isn't one or the other though. You can trade Danks and Quentin, for example... sign Mark... and you have, IMO, a team likely to do better than last year. Call it whatever you want, but just because you decide to trade players, doesn't mean you are throwing in the towel and rebuilding.

As I've said before, the signal is Danks and Floyd. If they both go, they are rebuilding, and then I agree, Mark makes limited sense (but still not none). If they trade only one, and sign Mark, they plan on trying to compete, while gaining a few prospects and rebuilding on the fly.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
As I've said before, the signal is Danks and Floyd. If they both go, they are rebuilding, and then I agree, Mark makes limited sense (but still not none).

Anything that would placate a few season ticket holders!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 04:59 PM)
Anything that would placate a few season ticket holders!

It is amazing to me that people here still don't know the history, and how Sox fandom works. Soxtalk is not representative of the fan base as a whole. A full-on rebuild over a period of 2-3 years - which by the way makes little sense when you have immovable contracts like Peavy, Rios and Dunn - empties the stadium. That doesn't just effect those 2-3 years, it effects what money the team has to develop and sign players in the future. This is why rebuilding on the fly is the only practical approach for the team to be successful. Well, one of the reasons.

I personally don't care much about an 80 win team versus 85. But if they are in the hunt for more of the season, that absolutely will put more butts in the seats, and that absolutely has an effect on future payroll possibilities, both directly and indirectly.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
The "logic" behind some of moves that are supposed to entice season ticket holders kind of draws these people, who earn enough money to buy tickets in large sums, as pretty damn stupid.

Or, smart enough to realize that building a farm system is important to them only insofar as it gets them good players - and is therefore a gamble. Just because people would rather watch a semi-competitive team for 2-3 years, who has a shot at maybe doing something, instead of watching a circus act for those 2-3 years, doesn't make them stupid.

You want a championship for the Sox? You want post-season appearances? Then by the nature of the fan base, who shows up for winning teams, this is the only road you can take if you want a real shot at success.

There is an argument to made for the value in not having a COMPLETELY decimated pitching staff even while rebuilding, and it's a combination of maintaining fan interest in the face of a talent dump, providing veteran leadership for the rookies, and maintaining a shot in the dark at winning a weak division if the albatrosses bounce back. It's like the Royals signing guys like Jeff Francis to one year deals like they did last year -- the alternative (or at least the fear) is ending up like the Orioles with their recent crop of busted top pitching prospects (Britton, Tillman, Matusz). But, this only makes sense if BOTH Floyd and Danks go for prospect packages AND Buerhle is willing to come back on some sort of a hometown discount because we give him a NTC and essentially the opportunity to retire in Chicago. And, to be clear, the rebuild has to be the top priority. And there still has to be a net salary drop team-wide.

Basiclaly, there is a situation where it would make sense to CONSIDER bringing Buerhle back at some point this offseason, but it's certainly not right now, and it's very, very unlikely given the dominoes that would have to fall and Buerhle's leverage in driving his own price up.

I'm sorry, guys. I like him too, but it just isn't going to work out.