Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)
And before anyone chimes in about Paterno being the coach, I dont think he was doing them any favors the last few years in the coaching department either. Not even sure he knew where he was some games.

The guy was a fraud the past few seasons. He was nothing more than a glorified fan sitting in the press box with no headsets on. Did he even go downstairs for halftime?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
And before anyone chimes in about Paterno being the coach, I dont think he was doing them any favors the last few years in the coaching department either. Not even sure he knew where he was some games.

There was the one game where he had to run to the locker room in the first half so he didn't poop his pants.

This is not only about punishing Penn State. They are sending a message that covering up criminal activity will not be tolerated.

This. 100%. It needs to be made very clear to the other 300-whatever NCAA schools that if you cover up something like this, your program will suffer tremendously.

A lot of the impact of this particular case is mitigated because Paterno died. Coaches that expect to coach for a while longer, or at least live a while longer, now have some extra incentive to do the right thing.

Also, I wouldn't just say 'criminal activity' in general. If you cover up theft or something like that, I don't think the penalties would be as severe. The point isn't just that a past crime was covered up, it's that covering up the past crime allowed the crime to continue, and the crime was one that caused physical and emotional trauma to children.

Let's not forget the proverbial "Palmeiro Finger" here, either. JoePa, for years, propped himself up on this moral high ground of the "Grand Experiment." Or, at the very least, didn't scoff when someone else did. He and the PSU football program, thought they were bigger than Penn State itself.

The program needed to be punished...and it was. It's going to take years for Penn State to get near the success they have had. I will say this, though...I have a lot of respect for Bill O'Brien.

I would have rather seen that versus the other penalties. Under this format, they still get to fill their football stadium.

Yes, they get to fill their football stadium, but they are paying a fine that more or less wipes out their revenues from filling that stadium, and allowing them to play avoids unfairly punishing the other Big Ten teams by having revenue losses and last-minute schedule changes.

Only other thing I would have liked to see was a TV ban for non-conference games.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
Yes, they get to fill their football stadium, but they are paying a fine that more or less wipes out their revenues from filling that stadium, and allowing them to play avoids unfairly punishing the other Big Ten teams by having revenue losses and last-minute schedule changes.

Only other thing I would have liked to see was a TV ban for non-conference games.

That will come indirectly from sucking in a couple of years. Sure, they'll be on the B1G Network, but only locally.

Because in the NCAA money, not kids or academics, comes first. Penn State doesn't deserve a football program. There was plenty of talk of collateral damage earlier, consider this the same thing.

I guess the alumni are filling that void financial void.

I hope Penn St never wins another football game. I will root against them in every game moving forward year in and year out. The whole "these players didn't do anything" is out the window because they are essentially embracing the stupid ass 'us against the world mentality' and using child rape as a rallying cry to 'prove haters wrong.'

Clueless, all of you.