Danks and Floyd drawing interest

southsider2k5

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz...5?new_post=true

« Back to blog

Danks or Floyd: Take your pick

1 minute ago by KenRosenthal

For teams seeking to trade for a starting pitcher, the White Sox can offer one from Column A and one from Column B.

Lefty John Danks appeals to high-revenue teams – he will get a raise from $6 million in his final year of arbitration, then hit free agency.

Righty Gavin Floyd, on the other hand, fits nicely for low-revenue clubs – he is signed for $7 million next season with a $9.5 million club option for 2013.

The White Sox are drawing interest in both pitchers, major-league sources say. Whether they trade one, both or neither likely hinges on the trade offers they receive.

Danks will hit the open market at 27 next off-season and pitch his first free-agent season at 28. His career numbers – 54-56, 4.03 ERA – might appear modest. But he averaged nearly 195 innings over the past four seasons, and his ERA, except for the first two months of 2011, was in the 3.70 range.

Free-agent lefty C.J. Wilson, who is expected to sign for a minimum of five years and $80 million, has been a starter for only two years. Danks, if he pitches well next season, presumably would be worth much more. A big-money team such as the Yankees or Red Sox could trade for him, then try to re-sign him.

Floyd, who turns 29 on Jan. 27, is not as accomplished as Danks and lacks the left-hander’s upside, but his price is right. Even a low-revenue club such as the Pirates could afford Floyd’s salaries in 2012 and ’13, and fit him nicely into the middle of their rotation.

The White Sox are entering a transition period – their new manager, Robin Ventura, has never managed or coached at any level, and the team will give him time to grow into the job.

Right fielder Carlos Quentin, entering his free-agent year, is perhaps the most likely White Sox player to be traded, but the offers for Danks and/or Floyd might be too good to resist.

One from Column A, one from Column B.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
For once, I would love to see the Sox bend somebody over a barrel in a trade. It seems that we're seeing teams more and more make a trade that gets people saying, "I can't believe they gave up that much." I want us to have at least one of those.

I feel like we could have pillaged at the trade deadline by selling off our entire BP not named Santos.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
For once, I would love to see the Sox bend somebody over a barrel in a trade. It seems that we're seeing teams more and more make a trade that gets people saying, "I can't believe they gave up that much." I want us to have at least one of those.

That s*** just doesn't happen to the White Sox period. Can't win a one-sided trade or develop a superstar from the minors like seemingly EVERY team in the bigs has done since Frank in 1990... 20 years and counting...

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
That s*** just doesn't happen to the White Sox period. Can't win a one-sided trade or develop a superstar from the minors like seemingly EVERY team in the bigs has done since Frank in 1990... 20 years and counting...

That is some extreme irony considering who we are talking about in this thread.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
That is some extreme irony considering who we are talking about in this thread.

I'm talking EXTREMELY one sided. Danks would need to have won a Cy Young or at least north of 15 wins every season. And Gavin would need to have more than just one good season out of the five he's been with the Sox. Both are .500 pitchers with the Sox in their careers.... I wouldn't say that's a one sided trade.

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
I'm talking EXTREMELY one sided. Danks would need to have won a Cy Young or at least north of 15 wins every season. And Gavin would need to have more than just one good season out of the five he's been with the Sox. Both are .500 pitchers with the Sox in their careers.... I wouldn't say that's a one sided trade.

So you are talking about once in a generation trades?

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz...h_danks/8029465

« Back to blog

Source: Rangers interested in reunion with Danks

3 minutes ago by JonPaulMorosi

The Texas Rangers haven’t ruled out re-signing free agent C.J. Wilson. But they are preparing for the possibility that he will leave.

The Rangers are working diligently to evaluate the available left-handed starters, a major-league source said Friday. One name that’s high on their list: Chicago White Sox southpaw John Danks, who began his career in the Texas organization. The White Sox are trying to move payroll, and Danks is a prime candidate to be dealt.

Wilson and Mark Buehrle are the top left-handed starters on the free-agent market. Wilson’s agent, Bob Garber, told FOXSports.com earlier this week that he would “love to play in the National League,” because he enjoys hitting. Wilson is 1-for-8 at the plate in his career. (Garber said that the NL/AL question alone wouldn’t determine Wilson’s decision.)

At present, the Rangers are leaning toward moving Neftali Feliz from the closer’s role into the starting rotation. If they do that, and maintain their existing cast, their starting five would consist of Derek Holland, Colby Lewis, Matt Harrison, Alexi Ogando and Feliz.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)

What is a realistic haul from the Rangers? The Sox would not be able to get Perez, Holland, or Ogando obviously but Texas has one of the best farm systems in baseball. Assuming the Sox would want pitching in return some options could be: Scheppers, Miguel De Los Santos, Kirkman, or even David Perez. Jurickson Profar, SS, would be a dream probably and they do have a load of OF prospects and 3B. What are everyone's thoughts on a potential deal with Texas?

A Pirate blogger suggested switch-hitting OF'er Robbie Grossman and RHP Kyle McPherson for Floyd. Grossman's intriguing, McPherson not so much. I'm not adverse to getting a position prospect back in a trade depending on the pitching they get back from the rest of the players they deal.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
A Pirate blogger suggested switch-hitting OF'er Robbie Grossman and RHP Kyle McPherson for Floyd. Grossman's intriguing, McPherson not so much. I'm not adverse to getting a position prospect back in a trade depending on the pitching they get back from the rest of the players they deal.

21 year old, repeating high A ball, .870 OPS, 13 HR, 24/34 SB's, 104 walks last year. .294 average but .418 OPS. Striekouts are high, 111 last year, 118 the year before (616 PA's last year), but that kid knows how to take a walk. Definitely an intriguing option if he's available. McPherson, 23 year old, AA baller, 2.96 ERA last year, very low WHIP, looks like he doesn't walk anyone.

I'd do that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
What is a realistic haul from the Rangers? The Sox would not be able to get Perez, Holland, or Ogando obviously but Texas has one of the best farm systems in baseball. Assuming the Sox would want pitching in return some options could be: Scheppers, Miguel De Los Santos, Kirkman, or even David Perez. Jurickson Profar, SS, would be a dream probably and they do have a load of OF prospects and 3B. What are everyone's thoughts on a potential deal with Texas?

I swear that names in baseball, and probably in general, are getting more and more ridiculous. It's like everyone is trying to outdo everyone else.