Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
Who said that they couldn't keep Pena? Fielder is the person all along I though the Cubs would get.

I thought I heard that since he declined arb that they thought they couldnt fit him into the budget. Same time it was said that the Cubs werent really pursuing Prince.

https://twitter.com/#!/PWSullivan/statu...519768244879360

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
That thought literally terrifies me.

Me too. That's why it's hard for me to embrace a full rebuild, even though I know the alternative could be much, much worse in the end. You never know how long it will be before you escape.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
Sad, but it's another sign of the incompetence of our GM.

Where are all the people on this board who said there will be a market for guys like Thornton, Quentin, Danks, and Floyd this offseason?

If KW wants to unload those guys, he will have no problem doing so. He's asking for the moon right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)
If KW wants to unload those guys, he will have no problem doing so. He's asking for the moon right now.

Which is what he should be doing on December 7th.

I'm not sure what the f*** you want, Dick...do you want him to get good prospects for these pieces or do you want him to just give them away?

For everyone crying about Santos not being shopped more, why the hell are you also crying that there has not been more trades made?

Make up your damned minds.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)

And he should ask for the moon and the sun too. Would everyone feel better if he gave them away for nothing? That's how negotiations go. Start high and work from a position of strength. Who knows... maybe a team will get desperate and give up something very good.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:58 PM)

I'm not sure what the f*** you want, Dick...do you want him to get good prospects for these pieces or do you want him to just give them away?

For everyone crying about Santos not being shopped more, why the hell are you also crying that there has not been more trades made?

You are misinterpreting my post. Again. Please look at what I was responding to and post again. There's nothing wrong for asking for an overpay. He claimed there was no market for these players. There obviously is one, but the bids are currently not anywhere near the offer.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:58 PM)

As one who considers it basically General Manager negligence to (apparently) not have shopped Santos to any and all interested parties, I'm perfectly glad Kenny's itchy trigger finger hasn't caused him to take the first borderline offer on Danks, Floyd, Thornton, or Quentin. The "losers" in the Buehrle, Wilson, and Gio derbies will have a far greater incentive to do what it takes to go for either Danks or Floyd. Quentin best goes to somebody (anybody) who fears going into Spring Training without the thumper they think they need. It's called finding and making a market -- something that some of us believe (apparently) was NOT done with Santos.

Thornton is a toughie. His contract makes him a real luxury. Best guess is that he's either traded as an add-on to a deal involving one of the above, or, failing that, he's essentially given away for a PTBNL and salary relief.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
You are misinterpreting my post. Again. Please look at what I was responding to and post again. There's nothing wrong for asking for an overpay. He claimed there was no market for these players. There obviously is one, but the bids are currently not anywhere near the offer.

I didn't misinterpret it, I just chose that moment to comment on your stance which I gathered from 2 or 3 different threads, as well as the posters who want these trades done now but also want maximum value.

Sorry, I shouldn't have bothered to quote that particular comment.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
I didn't misinterpret it, I just chose that moment to comment on your stance which I gathered from 2 or 3 different threads, as well as the posters who want these trades done now but also want maximum value.

Sorry, I shouldn't have bothered to quote that particular comment.

You had my stance wrong, at least concerning KW's current asking price. I'm not faulting him for it. Some team will either panic or the price will come down. He can't f*** up these deals or the Sox will be bad for a long time. I do think KW needs to go, which I'm sure you don't agree with.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
You had my stance wrong, at least concerning KW's current asking price. I'm not faulting him for it. Some team will either panic or the price will come down. He can't f*** up these deals or the Sox will be bad for a long time. I do think KW needs to go, which I'm sure you don't agree with.

No, I know your stance. Your stance is blatantly obvious. I can't wait to read you b****ing and moaning for the next 2 years. At least now maybe you can drop the budget conspiracy theories since you're no longer a season ticket holder.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)
No, I know your stance. Your stance is blatantly obvious. I can't wait to read you b****ing and moaning for the next 2 years. At least now maybe you can drop the budget conspiracy theories since you're no longer a season ticket holder.

Except I was correct about the budget and only complained about the payroll in 2009 when they raised season ticket prices and lowered payroll, when they had season ticketholders captive because of non refundable unused playoff ticket money. If you recall, your boy KW only had $.50 then and everything was priced at $1. The budget was already stretched. Then he traded for Jake Peavy and picked up Alex Rios on waivers. I did say I liked the Peavy move and would never criticize your precious KW for it, and never have. They "found" some money even though attendance was down. The next year they cried poor again. Attendance dropped again, then Edwin Jackson and his bloated salary is acquired and JR must have had some luck with his metal detector on Oak Street beach as KW was able to pick up Manny Ramirez for 1 month and $4 million after a steroid suspension to drive in 2 runs. The next offseason, now remember, your precious KW has always said everything coming in is spend and he only has $.50 when things cost $1, the Sox find some more money for Adam Dunn, bring back Konerko and AJ and have a team record payroll. JR finally admitted the team really doesn't spend every dime that comes in, they "save a little here, save a little there".

Say what you want, but the facts show my stance about White Sox finances was far more accurate than yours.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:58 PM)

Great point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
Except I was correct about the budget and only complained about the payroll in 2009 when they raised season ticket prices and lowered payroll, when they had season ticketholders captive because of non refundable unused playoff ticket money. If you recall, your boy KW only had $.50 then and everything was priced at $1. The budget was already stretched. Then he traded for Jake Peavy and picked up Alex Rios on waivers. I did say I liked the Peavy move and would never criticize your precious KW for it, and never have. They "found" some money even though attendance was down. The next year they cried poor again. Attendance dropped again, then Edwin Jackson and his bloated salary is acquired and JR must have had some luck with his metal detector on Oak Street beach as KW was able to pick up Manny Ramirez for 1 month and $4 million after a steroid suspension to drive in 2 runs. The next offseason, now remember, your precious KW has always said everything coming in is spend and he only has $.50 when things cost $1, the Sox find some more money for Adam Dunn, bring back Konerko and AJ and have a team record payroll. JR finally admitted the team really doesn't spend every dime that comes in, they "save a little here, save a little there".

Say what you want, but the facts show my stance about White Sox finances was far more accurate than yours.

For a while, I forgot about Manny being on the team.