Mat Latos traded to the Reds for Yonder.

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 02:34 AM)
I feel like people constantly forget this. It really doesnt matter who is better, Danks or Latos or Gio. Danks is one year from free agency while the others are 3-4 years away. That makes such a difference and that's what it's all about when it comes to trade value nowadays.

And how long are the guys the Reds gave up under Padres team control for? 6.5 years for the 2 kids and at least 2 years for Volquez?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Latos is going to be getting paid as well. I'd say my figure is fairly accurate.

~36 mill for 5 years? accurate? Did you not pay attention to the amount Mark Buehrle made? And here's one thing we can all agree on: Danks > Buehrle at this point. So.........

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
~36 mill for 5 years? accurate? Did you not pay attention to the amount Mark Buehrle made? And here's one thing we can all agree on: Danks > Buehrle at this point. So.........

I would say over the next 5 years, Danks will average out to about $6 million a year more than Latos which is $30 million more expensive. Again, its not as if Latos will be making minimum for 5 years. He's going to get paid pretty well fairly soon.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
I would say over the next 5 years, Danks will average out to about $6 million a year more than Latos which is $30 million more expensive. Again, its not as if Latos will be making minimum for 5 years. He's going to get paid pretty well fairly soon.

ohhhkay 30 million MORE than Latos.

on this you are correct.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
Getting Volquez away from Dusty Baker and into Petco is a double-bonus, I think.

Volquez has talent. He just needs to get his stuff under control. He still struck out nearly 9 per 9 last season.

Plus, his HR/FB was abnormally high (20%), so I'm sure he'll be better off at Petco.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
Volquez has talent. He just needs to get his stuff under control. He still struck out nearly 9 per 9 last season.

Plus, his HR/FB was abnormally high (20%), so I'm sure he'll be better off at Petco.

Daniel Cabrera had talent too

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 03:38 AM)
Daniel Cabrera never had the success Volquez did a couple of years back.

Volquez has had ONE good season out of what, 6 or 7?

baseball is full of guys who were a flash in the pan and fizzled out. Remember how good Garland was one year? Remember how good Loaiza was one year? Remember how good Contreras was one year?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
Volquez has had ONE good season out of what, 6 or 7?

baseball is full of guys who were a flash in the pan and fizzled out. Remember how good Garland was one year? Remember how good Loaiza was one year? Remember how good Contreras was one year?

Well, for Garland, the advanced stats say that he wasn't incredibly good one year, he was a solid pitcher for 3 years, with above average years before and after that, before starting to slow down last year. For Loaiza...there may have been some issues with the...chemistry.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Am I mistaken or did Volquez blow out his arm a few years ago

08/03/09 6:29 PM ET

CINCINNATI -- The type of elbow surgery that Reds starting pitcher Edinson Volquez needed on Monday was the one everyone feared.

Volquez underwent Tommy John ligament replacement surgery to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament and torn flexor mass in his right elbow. Dr. Tim Kremchek, the Reds' medical director, performed the 90-minute procedure.

Volquez will likely miss 12 months, which wouldn't have him pitching again until late into the 2010 season, and that's being optimistic.

"He will come back, I think, and pitch at some point next year in the second half," head trainer Mark Mann said. "But it will most likely be 2011 before you see the old Edinson Volquez."

He was about 24 months from the surgery at the end of 2011, so it's certainly plausible that it hadn't recovered fully.