Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
LOL, shocker. That place has had a rep like that for decades.

One Northwestern University student, who said he'd never been there himself, said people he knows has said there are often high school students at the bar.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/the-scene/food-d...l#ixzz1l336Kitv

lol I bet.

Not sure how bars like Kam's get away with so much of it down in Champaign. Then again, it ends up being a drinking ticket cash-cow for the police, so....

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
LOL, shocker. That place has had a rep like that for decades.

In high school, friends would always talk about going there cause they didn't really check IDs.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
lol I bet.

Not sure how bars like Kam's get away with so much of it down in Champaign. Then again, it ends up being a drinking ticket cash-cow for the police, so....

I think when the whole area's economy depends on the college kids, they tend to be a bit more lenient. And they make tons of cash on the drinking tickets as you said. Proving you are 19 is also easier than 21. That being said, there is absolutely zero reason why a 19-year old should be let into a place like Kams or COs (back in my day). Maybe Murphys or Legends when they serve food, but that's about it.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
In high school, friends would always talk about going there cause they didn't really check IDs.

I think when the whole area's economy depends on the college kids, they tend to be a bit more lenient. And they make tons of cash on the drinking tickets as you said. Proving you are 19 is also easier than 21. That being said, there is absolutely zero reason why a 19-year old should be let into a place like Kams or COs (back in my day). Maybe Murphys or Legends when they serve food, but that's about it.

Stop asking these questions! Just let us have our fun :D

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)

So in Chambana, do cops come into the bar itself and check IDs of people holding/otherwise possessing drinks? That happened once when I was in Wisconsin, and thought it was really weird, because in Bloomington (Indiana) that never happened. There'd be cops outside the bars, especially at close, to make sure nothing got way too out of hand, but never in the actual bar. However, in Bloomington you needed to be 21 just to get in the door.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 11:35 PM)
So in Chambana, do cops come into the bar itself and check IDs of people holding/otherwise possessing drinks? That happened once when I was in Wisconsin, and thought it was really weird, because in Bloomington (Indiana) that never happened. There'd be cops outside the bars, especially at close, to make sure nothing got way too out of hand, but never in the actual bar. However, in Bloomington you needed to be 21 just to get in the door.

Yeah, they usually come around every once and awhile after 9 when the bars are required to have only 19+ year olds inside. The cops are usually complete dicks about it too, as if they are pissed off that they have to waste their night busting a bunch of drunk college kids. It's not like we drive their economy or anything. The fines are getting kind of out of hand too. They were up to $320 when I had one last semester.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 01:53 AM)
Yeah, they usually come around every once and awhile after 9 when the bars are required to have only 19+ year olds inside. The cops are usually complete dicks about it too, as if they are pissed off that they have to waste their night busting a bunch of drunk college kids. It's not like we drive their economy or anything. The fines are getting kind of out of hand too. They were up to $320 when I had one last semester.

They don't need to be dicks about it. I am certain all the drunk college kids are polite and respectful while they have their IDs checked.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 05:46 AM)
They don't need to be dicks about it. I am certain all the drunk college kids are polite and respectful while they have their IDs checked.

:lolhitting

They certainly aren't, and I know from experience as part of my job is checking ID's. However, when they "busted" me, I was stone cold sober, and they still treated me like trash. I wasn't too happy about that.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
They certainly aren't, and I know from experience as part of my job is checking ID's. However, when they "busted" me, I was stone cold sober, and they still treated me like trash. I wasn't too happy about that.

I've been veryyyy close to getting busted before, luckily I had some friends who were 21 ahead of me and called out that a raid was happening. The cops then proceeded to check all the ID's of the 21 year olds, and kept questioning them thinking they were fakes apparently. Fortunately for me, their insane behavior led to me being able to slip out the door.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)

No doubt some cops go into dick mode right away when they know they are checking IDs. I worked checking IDs in a Wisconsin border bar when the drinking age was 18 versus 21 in Illinois. We only saw the cops when they were pissed at us for something, or there had been another crash of drunk kids coming back into Illinois. But you know the attitude you get at the door, I couldn't imagine being a cop and wading into that.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
No doubt some cops go into dick mode right away when they know they are checking IDs. I worked checking IDs in a Wisconsin border bar when the drinking age was 18 versus 21 in Illinois. We only saw the cops when they were pissed at us for something, or there had been another crash of drunk kids coming back into Illinois. But you know the attitude you get at the door, I couldn't imagine being a cop and wading into that.

I got hassled quite a bit by Will County cops on the night of my 21st birthday (we went out at midnight). Funny thing was them passing right over my friend with a fake ID that said she was 26 when she was really 19.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)

The cops here have been in a feud with a local bar owner who owns a few of the more popular bars, which has led to the cops to raid pretty much only those bars for a period of time.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 11:35 PM)

Yup. They randomly decide to enter, sometimes wearing uniform, sometimes just a badge cleverly hidden inside their jacket, which is what the guy was wearing when I got busted for a $260 ticket 10 years ago. (God I'm getting old)

The funniest story was once we are Station 211 on Mug Night and the bar got raided. Everyone realized and immediately stepped away from their tables. The Bulls happened to be playing the Lakers in the 4th, so everyone under 21 crowded around the TV to "watch" the game. This was post-MJ, pre-DRose so not many people were intently following them. The cops just walked around the bar, tables were filled with unattended mugs filled with beer, while all these kids were just watching the game, obviously under 21, but not close enough to alcohol to bust them.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Yup. They randomly decide to enter, sometimes wearing uniform, sometimes just a badge cleverly hidden inside their jacket, which is what the guy was wearing when I got busted for a $260 ticket 10 years ago. (God I'm getting old)

The funniest story was once we are Station 211 on Mug Night and the bar got raided. Everyone realized and immediately stepped away from their tables. The Bulls happened to be playing the Lakers in the 4th, so everyone under 21 crowded around the TV to "watch" the game. This was post-MJ, pre-DRose so not many people were intently following them. The cops just walked around the bar, tables were filled with unattended mugs filled with beer, while all these kids were just watching the game, obviously under 21, but not close enough to alcohol to bust them.

Hahaha that's great.

My dad talked about how when he went to U of I the bar would announce their would be a raid in 20 mins and everyone under 21 would leave, the cops would wait then go in, check everyone's id's (as a bunch of people stood outside), then the cops would come back outside and tell everyone to go back in.

Oh simpler times...

So has this food truck craze swept through Chicago yet? I know it's been a big thing in LA for several years and we're sort of downwind of everything LA here in Vegas.

The lady friend and I went last night to some thing with about 20 of them and gorged ourselves on all sorts of various heart-attacking delicacies...it was sort of like a mini Taste of Chicago, I guess.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 07:49 AM)
So has this food truck craze swept through Chicago yet? I know it's been a big thing in LA for several years and we're sort of downwind of everything LA here in Vegas.

The lady friend and I went last night to some thing with about 20 of them and gorged ourselves on all sorts of various heart-attacking delicacies...it was sort of like a mini Taste of Chicago, I guess.

They are all over downtown. I have never bought anything from them though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 07:53 AM)
They are all over downtown. I have never bought anything from them though.

I would never think to either, but the gf, who is a major foodie, is obsessed with them...so I have been dragged into it. It's sort of like eating a much wider variety of ballpark food...but then unfortunately, there is no game going on at the same time :)

That's probably why women love the concept so much :)

So for a little backstory, I had two dogs pass away within the last two months. My basset was 13 years old and had cancer and needed to be put down(thanksgiving night), and my Chocolate lab was 11 and had a heart attack 3 weeks ago and didnt make it to the vet. So we werent really looking for new pets, but a rescue situation was presented to us, and we ended up with Fred and Wilma here

fred.jpg

wilma.jpg

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
So for a little backstory, I had two dogs pass away within the last two months. My basset was 13 years old and had cancer and needed to be put down(thanksgiving night), and my Chocolate lab was 11 and had a heart attack 3 weeks ago and didnt make it to the vet. So we werent really looking for new pets, but a rescue situation was presented to us, and we ended up with Fred and Wilma here

fred.jpg

wilma.jpg

As long as you aren't one of the people that go to the dogpark and tell everyone how your dog is a rescue dog 15 times good for you...

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
As long as you aren't one of the people that go to the dogpark and tell everyone how your dog is a rescue dog 15 times good for you...

I usually stop at 12 or 13 times. 15 is far too much