2012 Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dragged a bunch of my girlfriends out to see The Grey last night. I REALLY enjoyed it. Yeah, call me a complete wimp, but I was scared for a good part of the film. While in undergrad & grad school, I barely got to see any films at all, so this story was at the very least something new and fresh for me--unlike the SAME.OLD.ROMANTIC.COMEDY.BULLs*** my friends get all excited about time and again.

I saw Safe House on a date last weekend and that was okay, but not nearly as thrilling as The Grey. (I felt like I'd seen Safe House ten times before.)

Related note: I'm feuding with these girlfriends today after speaking with my sister this morning. She scolded me for not staying til the end of the credits on The Grey as I usually do. (My friends were whining that they were bored and I couldn't take it anymore so I left with them.) I guess I missed out on something great. Damnit.

QUOTE (SouthSideTeacher @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
I dragged a bunch of my girlfriends out to see The Grey last night. I REALLY enjoyed it. Yeah, call me a complete wimp, but I was scared for a good part of the film. While in undergrad & grad school, I barely got to see any films at all, so this story was at the very least something new and fresh for me--unlike the SAME.OLD.ROMANTIC.COMEDY.BULLs*** my friends get all excited about time and again.

I saw Safe House on a date last weekend and that was okay, but not nearly as thrilling as The Grey. (I felt like I'd seen Safe House ten times before.)

Related note: I'm feuding with these girlfriends today after speaking with my sister this morning. She scolded me for not staying til the end of the credits on The Grey as I usually do. (My friends were whining that they were bored and I couldn't take it anymore so I left with them.) I guess I missed out on something great. Damnit.

I saw the Grey last night too. I liked it a lot but my wife hated it. We left before the credits ended as well, now I am curious what we missed.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
I saw the Grey last night too. I liked it a lot but my wife hated it. We left before the credits ended as well, now I am curious what we missed.

Nothing major.

Liam Neeson and the wold laying together. Liam puts his hand on the wolf as it takes its last breath like in the beginning. Liam's fate is left up in the air. Assume he dies as well.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)

It kind of shows what happened. It basically goes along with the poem. Both the wolf and him die or at least that was my understanding to it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
Amanda Seyfried's getting annoying, too.

She's kind of morphing into Scarlett Johannson #2. (Although Scar-Jo was fairly tolerable in WE BOUGHT A ZOO).

Give me Anne Hathaway or Rachel McAdams anytime!

And, the jury's still out on whether Justin Timberlake can carry a movie on his own or not. Mixed evidence, at best.

I like Amanda a lot, plus she is not afraid to get naked. But also a big Scarlett and Anne fan too.

after three months....got around to watching my three Netflix movies that have been collecting dust on my shelf. Super 8....Inception....and Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

I know some will put Inception way above the others....but i thought all three were ok.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
I like Amanda a lot, plus she is not afraid to get naked. But also a big Scarlett and Anne fan too.

Watch "Chloe." Terrible movie, naked Amanda, plus girl on girl with Julianne Moore. Be ready with the pause button.

Edited by JPN366

For a movie with no conventional plot whatsoever, "The Tree of Life" was a cool experience. It was different, beautiful to look at, and made me think. I think it helped that I knew a little about what to expect going in and tried to keep an open mind. It was absolutely gorgeous--as one might expect from Terrance Malick--and although it wasn't really entertaining in the traditional sense, it held my interest by keeping me engaged in trying to interpret everything I was seeing (even though it did leave me feeling a little dumb in that regard and probably could have been 15 to 20 minutes shorter). I had read Roger Ebert compare it to "2001" that way, and I think that was a good call.

My wife, who at first thought I had brought home a "Brad Pitt movie" absolutely hated it and went to be after a half hour. I certainly can understand that reaction.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
For a movie with no conventional plot whatsoever, "The Tree of Life" was a cool experience. It was different, beautiful to look at, and made me think. I think it helped that I knew a little about what to expect going in and tried to keep an open mind. It was absolutely gorgeous--as one might expect from Terrance Malick--and although it wasn't really entertaining in the traditional sense, it held my interest by keeping me engaged in trying to interpret everything I was seeing (even though it did leave me feeling a little dumb in that regard and probably could have been 15 to 20 minutes shorter). I had read Roger Ebert compare it to "2001" that way, and I think that was a good call.

My wife, who at first thought I had brought home a "Brad Pitt movie" absolutely hated it and went to be after a half hour. I certainly can understand that reaction.

What was her reaction to Benjamin Button and Moneyball?

I finally got around to watching "Gone Baby Gone" (2007) yesterday. Absolutely loved it. Casey Affleck was great and Ed Harris did his thing. Very interesting how the story was kind of split up into three different segments, though I feel the ending was a bit drawn out. I've seen The Town probably 5 times so it was interesting to see how Ben Affleck built off of his directorial debut of Gone Baby Gone (and I'm pretty sure they're both books).

Been watching a lot of movies lately:

Shawshank Redemption (rewatch)- Still one of the greatest movies of all-time.

Fight Club (rewatch)- I think I finally got bored of this movie.

The Social Network (rewatch)- The more I see this, the more I realize how amazing this movie is.

The Wrestler (rewatched) -Still one of my favorites

Ides of March- One of the best movies of 2011. Not that says much at all.

Safe House- Pretty much by the books, and a bit of a sloppy plot. Could have been a lot better.

Drive- Meh, expected a lot better of this movie. Still probably better than anything I've seen nominated for Best Picture (other than Moneyball).

Mystic River- Loved this movie. Definitely deserves its acclaim.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
Been watching a lot of movies lately:

Shawshank Redemption (rewatch)- Still one of the greatest movies of all-time.

Fight Club (rewatch)- I think I finally got bored of this movie.

The Social Network (rewatch)- The more I see this, the more I realize how amazing this movie is.

The Wrestler (rewatched) -Still one of my favorites

Ides of March- One of the best movies of 2011. Not that says much at all.

Safe House- Pretty much by the books, and a bit of a sloppy plot. Could have been a lot better.

Drive- Meh, expected a lot better of this movie. Still probably better than anything I've seen nominated for Best Picture (other than Moneyball).

Mystic River- Loved this movie. Definitely deserves its acclaim.

I agree with Fight Club, I probably wore that one out as well. Watched it again a couple months ago and realized I need to put that back on the shelf for a long while.

I've heard Ides was pretty flat. Granted, I've worked on political campaigns for a couple years so when I hear from my campaign friends that it wasn't at all realistic I know I can't expect too much out of it. In that same vein, I'm sure NASA scientists spit all over Apollo 13 but it doesn't make it a bad movie. Ides is still at the top of my queue, I'll just make a judgment for myself.

Mystic River has been sitting on the top of my DVD player for the longest time, just haven't been in the mood for it as it gets passed over for countless movies. Now that you bring it up, I'm going to make a conscious effort to find the time to finally get around to it.

Watch Ides of March and Descendants/Up in the Air/Syriana or Drive and even Crazy, Stupid Love back to back and you'll quickly appreciate how good Clooney and Gosling can be in better-written films.

The first half of Ides was very strong, and then it just falls into the old plot twists and stereotypical endings that doom most political thrillers.

It could have been so much more. For that matter, Bourne played a more interesting politician in THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU. At least TAB made you think/ponder afterwards, far moreso than Ides.

And I thought "Art Howe" was very good in Ides, far better than Moneyball (albeit a lesser role).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
I liked the concept a lot but I thought the execution of it and the story was not done well at all

When the trailer was running on TV, I thought it was a "Logan's Run" remake.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
I agree with Fight Club, I probably wore that one out as well. Watched it again a couple months ago and realized I need to put that back on the shelf for a long while.

I don't think it's really built for multiple viewings. It's nice to see it a second time to see if you can spot the ending earlier, but after that it definitely loses its luster.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 10:57 PM)
Oh, forgot to add this. f*** this movie. Every character is completely hateable.

The ending with Carrel's character interrupting his son's speech (IIRC) was horrible, very awkward, and unrealistic. Plus any scene with Emma Stone's friend was god awful