Another White Sox / Blue Jays trade on the horizon?

striker

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
Couldn't some of these moves...Thornton, Crain, Floyd all happen in July just as easily and with more teams desperate to add?

Call me crazy, but I think there's an outside chance the current roster can win. To me, they should give this roster a few months to play, and then if they're 6 games back in July and under-.500, trade anyone you can/want.

That's no good. 6 games back would be "too close" in KW's mind. We'd have to be 10+ out for him to punt the season. And in this division, we'd have to be really bad for that to happen.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:35 AM)
I've a feeling Drabek will be a lot better next season.. Floyd to Toronto for Drabek & McGuire, would be a great deal for the Sox.

Yes it would. And not good for the Blue Jays. Pie. In. The. Sky.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
Is no one else already worried that we'll only get a "project" prospect and a throw-in?

Yes, I'm terrified. Every single AA deal we've made has left me at least uneasy and at worst sad. I mean, KW hasn't "won" any of them. They haven't been disasters, but they've all been at least slightly in the Blue Jays favor.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
Yes, I'm terrified. Every single AA deal we've made has left me at least uneasy and at worst sad. I mean, KW hasn't "won" any of them. They haven't been disasters, but they've all been at least slightly in the Blue Jays favor.

Like hell Frasor 1 & 22 were. I say we won those.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
I've a feeling Drabek will be a lot better next season.. Floyd to Toronto for Drabek & McGuire, would be a great deal for the Sox.

I'd be on board with that sort of deal. I don't think the Sox get it, but I'd be on board with it. A package built around McGuire would be solid, but it is important to remember that upside wise, McGuire doesn't have wow you stuff. He is a good pitcher though. I'm not sure you can just pencil him into a rotation now though. The dude has pitched in like 4 games at the AA level.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
I'd like to see the Sox trade Dunn, Rios and Peavy this off season.. If we have to pay these guys anyway, why not trade them and eat their salary and at the same time bring in more prospects into this organzation.

I'm sure JR would love to write a $100 million check to cover their salaries to play for other teams.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
Is no one else already worried that we'll only get a "project" prospect and a throw-in?

Let's not half-ass this rebuild. Stick to it or don't, no in-between s***.

But thing about that is, you can't trade Rios, Dunn, or Peavy. And they probably won't move Konerko or Pierzynski either. So this "rebuild" is a multi-year process. The way I see it, they currently have 5 starting pitchers that can go out and put up a quality start. I think they should try to win with the 5 starters, and see if the Dunn, Rios, and Beckham bats come around. If they do hit, they would regret moving a Floyd and Crain and/or Thornton out of the pen. There's no real good reason to make any more significant moves until July unless they get overwhelmed with something.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
I'd like to see the Sox trade Dunn, Rios and Peavy this off season.. If we have to pay these guys anyway, why not trade them and eat their salary and at the same time bring in more prospects into this organzation.

I think someone says this in every single thread on this site, no matter what the subject is. I'll have to check the SOXFEST one to make sure.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:45 AM)
But thing about that is, you can't trade Rios, Dunn, or Peavy. And they probably won't move Konerko or Pierzynski either. So this "rebuild" is a multi-year process. The way I see it, they currently have 5 starting pitchers that can go out and put up a quality start. I think they should try to win with the 5 starters, and see if the Dunn, Rios, and Beckham bats come around. If they do hit, they would regret moving a Floyd and Crain and/or Thornton out of the pen. There's no real good reason to make any more significant moves until July unless they get overwhelmed with something.

Or the guys we could possibly trade (Floyd, Crain, Thornton, etc.) suck in 2012 and have no trade value at the deadline. We have to stick to the plan. This is another reason I fear that KW will make mistakes, in order to appease the fans who think everything will turn out fine as long as one or two things work.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
Or the guys we could possibly trade (Floyd, Crain, Thornton, etc.) suck in 2012 and have no trade value at the deadline. We have to stick to the plan. This is another reason I fear that KW will make mistakes, in order to appease the fans who think everything will turn out fine as long as one or two things work.

Exactly. If we're surprisingly good, we'll add at the deadline, but we can't plan on being lucky. Fix the stuff we know is wrong, build from the foundation, get everything in a row. If we have to react to unexpected success, so be it, it's much better than reacting to likely failure.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)

I'd rather gamble that productive pitchers will remain productive than trade them now and regret it by June.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
I'd rather gamble that productive pitchers will remain productive than trade them now and regret it by June.

This is the most helpful tip I can give, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic or condescending at all. Forget 2012. Look at it as though it will be a losing season (it will). We need to look past 2012.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
This is the most helpful tip I can give, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic or condescending at all. Forget 2012. Look at it as though it will be a losing season (it will). We need to look past 2012.

I wish I could look past 2012. With Trader Kenny, the fear of him trying to acquire players to make a push is always there. Right now, I will not argue with stockpiling arms.

Get Gavin outta here. Then wait for Prince to land and send Paulie to the team that missed out.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)

At the same time, it may be entertaining simply because it will be different.

Actually posted about Floyd for Deck+ yesterday. Was a big fan of his in the 2010 draft. He's not some super sexy high ceiling starter, but he's got a workhorse body and 3 useful pitches. He's a middle of the rotation type and a pretty safe bet to stick. I like my toolsy high upside prospects, but a system also needs safer high floor picks like Deck to balance it out. I hope something gets done.

QUOTE (striker @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
@FarrellBall (1/3/2012)

Source: #Jays seem to be pushing harder for Gavin Floyd over the last 48 hours.. McGuire seems to be the centerpiece to a potential trade.

@FarrellBall (1/1/2012)

Source: The #Jays have strong interest in SP Gavin Floyd from the #WhiteSox.. Rumblings of McGuire or Wojciechowski...

Just because Sox hire guy from Toronto does not mean we have to get every minor league spec he likes. McGuire has been a disappointment so far has been passed over time and time again.

Edited by Soxfest