The Official Soxtalk Predict 2012 poll

southsider2k5

Win Poll  

69 members have voted

1. 1. How many games do the Sox win in '12?

• 59 or less
    • 60-65
    • 66-69
    • 70-73
    • 74-77
    • 78-81
    • 82-85
    • 86-89
    • 90-94
    • 95+

Now that the roster has pretty well taken shape, and we know what the rest of the league should look like in 2012, it is time for the poll question! How many wins will the Sox have in 2012. Vote and then post your answer for posterity's sake. In six months you could either get to say I told you so, or be the one everyone laughs at.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll start off decent, but with some growing pains in the bullpen and on defense. By May they'll be in the race, and stay there near until August, ans the team starts to gel and hit. Peavy pitches surprisingly well, almost like old Peavy... Dunn has a big comeback year... Beckham does better than last year but still not quite there... and Rios sucks, but Fukudome takes more playing time. Then Peavy, Sale and possibly Humber start to feel the wear of massively increased innings, and start to dog down and struggle. One or two might even be shut down or moved to the pen, replaced by Molina or Axelrod or Castro. The team fades through September, but is on the outside edge of the WC race until the last week. 82-85 wins, and about 5 games short of the 2nd wildcard.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
They'll start off decent, but with some growing pains in the bullpen and on defense. By May they'll be in the race, and stay there near until August, ans the team starts to gel and hit. Peavy pitches surprisingly well, almost like old Peavy... Dunn has a big comeback year... Beckham does better than last year but still not quite there... and Rios sucks, but Fukudome takes more playing time. Then Peavy, Sale and possibly Humber start to feel the wear of massively increased innings, and start to dog down and struggle. One or two might even be shut down or moved to the pen, replaced by Molina or Axelrod or Castro. The team fades through September, but is on the outside edge of the WC race until the last week. 82-85 wins, and about 5 games short of the 2nd wildcard.

This is pretty close to how I see the season going.

I'll be optimistic and say 86 -89. Further, I'll really show how ignorant I am and say that Gavin Floyd leads the starting staff in victories, Santiago has the most saves, Dunn hits the most dingers, Konerko drives in the most runs, DeAza leads the team in batting average and steals. Alexi & Beckham both win Gold Gloves (yes, Gordon hits just enough to get his), and Robin wins Manager of the year! Book it.......I think.

:gosoxretro:

P.S. I forgot to add that the Marlins stink this year and Kenny trades for Buehrle, with the Marlins picking up some salary, for the stretch run.

Edited by balfanman

86-89. I recall the 2000 spring training starting crappy and ending up with the sox on fire. I don't think this team is as bad as many claim. I feel this certain vibe with this bunch, like if everyone is happy and has a sense of relief things have changed, a lot people having each othersbacks as a team... We'll have to see

Seems like I'm in the majority with 82-85 wins. I saw on the news last night that someone predicted a 95 loss season. I really don't see how that would be possible unless there were a string of injuries and Dunn, Rios, and Peavy (aka the Lawrence Bums) repeat 2011.

I think a lot of people outside of the Sox fandom overvalue the loss of Buehrle, Quentin, and Santos. Realistically, I think the Sox have filled those holes fairly well.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
Seems like I'm in the majority with 82-85 wins. I saw on the news last night that someone predicted a 95 loss season. I really don't see how that would be possible unless there were a string of injuries and Dunn, Rios, and Peavy (aka the Lawrence Bums) repeat 2011.

I think a lot of people outside of the Sox fandom overvalue the loss of Buehrle, Quentin, and Santos. Realistically, I think the Sox have filled those holes fairly well.

It's really not that hard to envision a path for how the Sox get to 95ish losses from last year.

Lose Buehrle, lose Quentin, lose Santos. Between them, that's ~10 wins if you're going by WAR. That takes a 78 win team down to a ~68 win team. You're right there already. Now, just have most of the people repeat last year's numbers. Some people are likely to improve, it'd be hard for De Aza to be as bad as Pierre, but then if you finally have PK14 start showing his age and either get hurt for 1/2 the year or only hit 18 home runs, the team is literally right there.

The place we're starting from is ~70 wins if everyone does what they did last year. The list of guys who can improve on that is long, but you can raise a question on almost all of them.