2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 08:18 PM)
The roster is horribly flawed. The fact that he even has the Illini ranked at this point is extremely impressive.

Although I do think the defense has been extremely underwhelming and should be better with the athletes that the Illini have.

I don't care what the roster is, shooting 25% in half for the 3rd time in four games is just inexcusable. Even they are better than that, but they have no concept of shot selection.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
I don't care what the roster is, shooting 25% in half for the 3rd time in four games is just inexcusable. Even they are better than that, but they have no concept of shot selection.

The problem is that they're not a very good passing team so good looks don't come all that often. Almost every shot looks like a bad shot.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)

I have to agree on that. The idea of taking every open shot was a useful adjustment to Weber, but now it has become a major over correction. There is no offense, movement of the ball, or discretion with shot selection. Almost every attempt feels desperate or forced.

Also, I'd like to say f*** you to Ron Guenther yet again. Illinois was a borderline elite basketball program that Guenther allowed Weber to run into the ground. Add in that he allowed our football program to be a laughingstock and he had to have been arguably the worst AD in the country over the last 20 years.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
Deja Vu. This is why watching road games is worthless. Sometimes you just dont show up.

It is more than that. If Illinois doesn't regain its 3 pt shooting touch they aren't going to be good. Our big men are as bad as you will ever see in the Big 10 (with Egwu being the only Big 10 talent) and while our guards are good at penetrating none of them are good passers. This team needs to make 3s to be good but the problem is that you have a bunch of guys who have never shot the 3 well before that were making 3s early this year but aren't now. Sadly, I think our shooting capabilities from 3 are closer to the current level than the early season hot streak, especially with Griffey reverting back to being a terrible basketball player.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)
Mizzou Illinois with one of the coldest shooting games I've seen. I knew this would be a tough game away without bowers, but damn this team is full of streaky shooters that all seem to go hot or cold together.

Funny how that works...

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 07:22 AM)
Desmar.Jackson.

Sorry, had to.

He's a lot of fun to watch. I think we're going to start winning some games now that Daniels is back. We're insanely undersized to begin with but with out him we were some times playing 5 guys that were all 6'3 and under. I'm thinking and hoping that we can stay out of Thursday if everyone stays healthy. This team definitely plays hard, which is obviously a very welcomed change from years past.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 08:28 AM)
He's a lot of fun to watch. I think we're going to start winning some games now that Daniels is back. We're insanely undersized to begin with but with out him it was absurd. I'm thinking and hoping that we can stay out of Thursday if everyone stays healthy. This team definitely plays hard, which is obviously a very welcomed change from years past.

Was saying the same thing to a fellow Saluki alum at gym this morning. Scares some teams, maybe get to semis in Arch Madness.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 08:28 AM)
He's a lot of fun to watch. I think we're going to start winning some games now that Daniels is back. We're insanely undersized to begin with but with out him we were some times playing 5 guys that were all 6'3 and under. I'm thinking and hoping that we can stay out of Thursday if everyone stays healthy. This team definitely plays hard, which is obviously a very welcomed change from years past.

Did Daniels return last night? He had a badly sprained ankle against MSU, I thought he was out a while

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
Ya he played. Supposedly limped around the court all game so who knows what his deal is going forward.

Next year it will be nice to have some other guys that can bang down low with DD. Drinkard is ok but he is of backup variety

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
Either that or I know how that 40 is a much, much, much, much, much, much higher number than 15. Indiana should have had an edge in free throws, they were more aggressive. But you can't possibly tell me that they deserved 25 more free throws than an aggressive Gopher team.

It's not why we lost (not showing up offensively or defensively for the first 20 minutes is pretty obviously the reason), and it's par for the course in the Big 10, but you're fooling yourself if you think things were called equally on both sides of the court.

Haha come on... You pressed almost the entire second half, of course fouls were going to be called. The foul was your best weapon yesterday, Indiana couldn't hit crap from the line. Very uncharacteristic.