2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 06:58 AM)
According to Pomeroy, TCU has played four teams ranked 300 or lower. They beat all four by a combined 13 points. I think they may be worse than your average 16 seed.

With the one-year waiting rule for the NBA, we aren't far away from an official 16 over 1 upset in the tourney.

Yeah this is kind of a sour grapes deal but we should've seen it last year because the refs definitely helped Syracuse out.

I see Indiana lost, guess Michigan (or Duke) would like to take the #1 ranking back. But Michigan will have a tough road game vs Wisconsin on Saturday.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)
Nate Wolters dropped 53 tonight. Hopefully he gets another shot in the tourney though ND State is just better and Western plays like the slowest tempo ever which would be interesting in a tournament setting.

That's not DJ Richardson no one cares

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 08:54 PM)
Heading back to Chicago now. Awesome!

-Tyler Griffey. I hate you but I love you.

-Brandon Paul had a good game against the best defender of alltime.

-Zeller got MJ treatment or else he would have been largely ineffective.

-Glad someone finally Td up Sheehy. And he still kept it up. I think Cream destroys him next practice.

-That said he was terrific tonight.

-so was Hulls. Not sire why he didn't take that last three.

-Not sure why McLaurin gets so much hate. He is great at what he is.

-Didn't even know DJ had 23 points. Wow. Was he on the last steal? Awesome.

Good game, farmteam.

Hah, not sure why I get a special shout out, but good game!

Game was going pretty much as expected til that collapse at the end. Illinois couldn't miss and Indiana couldn't play for s***. Depressing that Oladipo didn't play well, especially with all the national love he's been getting lately. I was expecting to win this game and lose at Ohio State on Sunday, so if we can bounce back and win that game (definitely possible, if not necessarily probable) we'll at least get the 1-1 I thought we would this week, and a good road win to boot. That's me being optimistic right now. There's still an awful, orange flavored taste in my mouth right now.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)
-Didn't even know DJ had 23 points. Wow. Was he on the last steal? Awesome.

Good game, farmteam.

It might not have been his best game statistically but that is the best game DJ has played in an Illinois uniform. His defense was strong tonight and it was him who got that steal from Oladipo on Indiana's last possession, although it was a good hedge from McClaurin that caused it. He also hit big shot after big shot in the 2nd half and was pretty much lights out after bricking a couple of shots early.

Every Illini fan will remember where they were for this one, one of the definable plays.

That was a good 3-4 hours of reading stuff and watching highlights. Can't watch the GIFs of the final play enough. Between shirtless guy on the court instantaneously, guy hugging Griffey, everyone jumping in unison, Sheehy walking off dejected, Watford giving a "wff" arms motion, Bertrands jump...such a fun play outside of the actual basket.

Sometimes sports are awesome. It's nights like these that keep you coming back for more, and deal with the constant gut punches et al.

Now figure out a way to win a few more BT games.

Man did that suck. Basically could see that coming with Indiana "going through the motions" all freakin' game. What a turnaround for Illinois. Zeller has to demand the ball and take it up almost every possession. Just no elite team this year. Incredible.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 11:16 PM)
Hah, not sure why I get a special shout out, but good game!

Game was going pretty much as expected til that collapse at the end. Illinois couldn't miss and Indiana couldn't play for s***. Depressing that Oladipo didn't play well, especially with all the national love he's been getting lately. I was expecting to win this game and lose at Ohio State on Sunday, so if we can bounce back and win that game (definitely possible, if not necessarily probable) we'll at least get the 1-1 I thought we would this week, and a good road win to boot. That's me being optimistic right now. There's still an awful, orange flavored taste in my mouth right now.

Agree totally. I expected to go 1-1 this week, so it can somewhat be salvaged Sunday.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 08:20 AM)
I'll add that to the list of keys to beating Indiana:

1. Limit fast break points

2. Play them outside of Bloomington

3. Put on Wisconsin jerseys

Two is huge. Have they beaten anyone away from home? I feel like all their big wins this year are at home.

I don't watch as much Indiana as their fans do, but they shot over 50%. Can't be their worst game because they were either lucky or good enough to have made a good enough portion of their shots to not have all those turnovers hurt them. Likewise, UI only shot 43% with a bad 3PT% -- not an other worldly game from them.

I recall watching IU earlier this season and being certain that Illinois could beat them. I thought that the Illini team that wins big games was gone, though. Maybe we can turn things around? I like winning with seniors.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 06:36 AM)
Man did that suck. Basically could see that coming with Indiana "going through the motions" all freakin' game. What a turnaround for Illinois. Zeller has to demand the ball and take it up almost every possession. Just no elite team this year. Incredible.

I thought IU played good ball till the last 2 min where they looked tentative and their shots didn't fall. As soon as the whistles went away they wilted.

Illinois has four wins against the AP top 14. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the only team to have accomplished that this year. Also RPI of 32. They have @Minn, Pur, @NW, PSU, @Mich, Neb, @Iowa and @OSU.

Win the five easy ones, lose the three tough ones and you are at 8-10 in Conference Play with a tournament-worthy RPI. 7-11 is close, but probably a tourney team from the Big 10. 6-12 probably means a two-game run in the BTT is needed.

Should be interested. No idea what to expect. Probably will lose at home to PSU and win at Michigan knowing them

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
Illinois has four wins against the AP top 14. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the only team to have accomplished that this year. Also RPI of 32. They have @Minn, Pur, @NW, PSU, @Mich, Neb, @Iowa and @OSU.

Win the five easy ones, lose the three tough ones and you are at 6-10 in Conference Play with a tournament-worthy RPI. 7-9 is a safe tourney team from the Big 10. 6-10 probably means a two-game run in the BTT is needed.

Should be interested. No idea what to expect. Probably will lose at home to PSU and win at Michigan knowing them

You're missing two games in each of those, they currently have 3 wins in BTC, so 5 more would be 8 wins.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
I think your math is a bit off. Five more wins get us to 8. At that point we would have to be a lock. Not sure @Iowa is too winnable though. 7-11 should get us in.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)
You're missing two games in each of those, they currently have 3 wins in BTC, so 5 more would be 8 wins.

YEAH YEAH YEAH.

Bad math. :P