Collective anger against Beckham/Morel/Dunn/Rios thread

caulfield12

Since we started a Cowley thread today, might as well have this one as well.

Obviously Dunn and Rios aren't going anywhere...at least not anytime soon. Ventura might have to consider moving Dunn down and AJ and Paulie up a spot.

But Beckham is completely lost....Morel hasn't looked QUITE so bad (relatively speaking), getting some bunts down, an RBI and a double to the opposite field.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't even know who to bring up for Stewart.

Stults, maybe. Pulling Axelrod from the starting role he's getting comfortable with, well, they have to pick someone.

Bruney, whoever. I think he has been starting in Charlotte, too.

Gut check time for this team. How will they respond? Luckily nobody saw this game, since it was on The U.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:43 AM)
I said it all year last year that everyone gave morel a pass just cuz Dunn and Riis sucked so much, but the dude was comically bad last year and he got handed the 2 spot for no good reason

A lot of people, including myself, got blinded by his strong finish. Him in the 2nd spot is just a horrible decision though, as he's not good at seeing pitches and you don't want to encourage him to hit the ball to right field.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
A lot of people, including myself, got blinded by his strong finish. Him in the 2nd spot is just a horrible decision though, as he's not good at seeing pitches and you don't want to encourage him to hit the ball to right field.

and this is where our pathetic system shows its weakness because I have no idea who could even be a reasonable option to fill these holes

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:49 AM)
and this is where our pathetic system shows its weakness because I have no idea who could even be a reasonable option to fill these holes

You'll start seeing people asking for Dallas McPherson in no time. I said during the offseason, but if Beckham/Morel/Viciedo all tank, then this organization is completely screwed with the rebuilding on the fly approach.

The good news is Sale looks solid so far as a starter, and they should have some money to spend after this season.

Edited by fathom

First things first.

Beckham should be sent down and let Lilly play second for a month.

And Zach must be sent down.

No time to panic on DeAza or Morel yet.

I would drop Dunn to seventh and leave him there the rest of the year as well.

The man is finished. One homer, three ribbies? That's about right.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 05:02 AM)

No problem with Dunn batting 3rd against righties. You have to give him this year to show what he can do. While you're still trying to compete this year, it might be best to get him some rest against LHP if he continues to look lost against them.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 11:02 PM)
First things first.

Beckham should be sent down and let Lilly play second for a month.

And Zach must be sent down.

Lillibridge can't hit RHP. For some reason, I still think Beckham is going to hit. Stewart was awful, but he's hardly pitched. I wouldn't panic on De Aza, and its still too early to panic about Morel, but it does make you wonder. You throw out September, and Morel's numbers scream defensive replacement, and one thing I agree with Ozzie about, unless you're in a pennant race, 2 things not to believe are spring training and September phenoms. I agree about Dunn. He shouldn't hit third. I think he's better than last year, but he can be a lot better than last year and still be bad. Move him down. If he starts hitting like a 3 or 4 hitter, move him up. I know there really isn't much to move to the 3 hole, but Dunn shouldn't be there. He's been historically bad for over a year now.

We are surely going to hear strong pleas to be patient and not to panic. However, given last year's disaster with Rios, Dunn, Beckham and Morel, you have to wonder how long this team can keep running those guys out there. What possible excuse and justification could they offer for not making some changes.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 05:12 AM)
We are surely going to hear strong pleas to be patient and not to panic. However, given last year's disaster with Rios, Dunn, Beckham and Morel, you have to wonder how long this team can keep running those guys out there. What possible excuse and justification could they offer for not making some changes.

That this is a rebuilding year and it's more important to find out if Morel/Beckham are MLB caliber players an whether or not Dunn/Rios can get any type of trade value (long shot) or if they need to think of possible replacements for them in the future.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
That this is a rebuilding year and it's more important to find out if Morel/Beckham are MLB caliber players an whether or not Dunn/Rios can get any type of trade value (long shot) or if they need to think of possible replacements for them in the future.

You're probably right, but what a shame to waste their great pitching. Oops, maybe not so much, after tonight.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 11:12 PM)

The fact is, they blew a 3 run 8th inning lead or they would be 6-3 and everyone here would be a lot happier. Santiago as the closer is going to be a rollercoaster ride. He's going to look awesome at times and will throw meat like he did tonight several times as well. Robin has been trying to get him some lay up saves to build confidence, but I think he's now given up 3 homers. You don't get away with throw the ball right down the middle in the major leagues.

1. Stewart and Beckham down to Charlotte

2. Lillibridge starting everyday (might as well find out whether he can play everyday now)

3. Morel back to bottom of the order

4. Ramirez batting 2nd, we can't afford to have AJ there with how well he's been going offensively

5. Pray for Dunn and Rios, but don't boo them

6. Pick the name of Stults, Axelrod or Bruney out of a hat to replace Stewart

7. Lillibridge playing infield, you probably go with Jordan Danks for Gordon to provide OF depth, or possibly Conor Jackson (that's for Lillian)

8. Find a Marco Paddy who can make recommendations on hitting prospects, bring back the scouts who identified Carlos Quentin/Ramirez/Viciedo to have them play a bigger role in the June draft assessment process.

9. Continue to monitor McPherson as a band-aid, but not long-term solution for a continued Morel tailspin.

Zach Stewart won't survive in the big leagues at 90-91 MPH without pinpoint control. As a starter or reliever.

With Peavy gone next year, Molina and Santiago are the two best candidates to replace him. For the future of the organization, Hector should be groomed as a starter to go along with Sale. It won't happen this week or this month, but it SHOULD happen. Closing has caused him to forget about his repertoire of offspeed pitches, which is what shot him all the way into the Sox plans from total obscurity at the beginning of last year.

Hope that AJ stays hot and can be marketed to a better team whose starting catcher goes down. With how well he's hitting, you might even get a useful piece or two back in return.

Hold onto Gavin Floyd until June/July and realistically assess whether it's better to trade him or hold onto him for 2013, if there's at least a 50/50 chance we can be competitive next year (see the performances of Dunn, Morel, Rios and Viciedo).

Feel out the trade market for both Jesse Crain and/or Matt Thornton, depending on offers received.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)

Morel should be given a chance to fight through it, with how he played at the end of 2011, with how well he did in the spring and then his defense and the fact that he's been doing the "little things" over the last 5 games or so.

Ultimately, Gordon Beckham is just foundering like the Titanic and the only merciful thing to do is send him down, and take the Cowley/anti-KW columns that will inevitably follow.

He just needs to rediscover his joy/love for the game of baseball or end up like Brian Anderson. His defense is so good, he'll probably find a home somewhere just because of his ability to play all three infield spots, but we really have no choice but to assign him to the Knights.

Lillibridge is a better long-term solution at 2B than McPherson would be at 3rd for Morel. The odds that Lillibridge can be the same offensive force he was in 2011 might be against him, but there's no harm in playing him 40-50-60 games in a row.

Beckham deserves one last shot to be a starter at 2B if Lillibridge/Escobar fails to work as a solution.

Then you non-tender him or trade him in the offseason, or just outright release him.