Slow pitch softball thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 8, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
Thought I would share this with you guys

http://www.roverplusnine.com/mm5/merchant....-dye-sub-shirts

order of 12 brings price to 40 per jersey, fully customizable

We decided to buy some jerseys this year, just some 3/4 sleeve shirts. We're not good enough for a jersey like that :P

We have our first game tonight, our league is a B and C league this year instead of just C, we picked up some good players but I have a feeling we'll get smoked in some games.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played a double header, won both by small margins. I got the last out in the first game at 2B and our LFer made an incredible diving catch to end the second game with us up by 1 and the tying run at home plate. Went 6-9 overall, 3B and 2 2B. Two of my outs were infield pop ups, not too happy about that. Got robbed of a RBI single on the other out, 3B made a diving stop and got a force out at 2B.

Edited by chw42

Does anyone else hit better when they sub?

I'm hitting around 60-70 points better when I sub as opposed to playing on teams I pay for. It could be a sample size thing (I've subbed 16 times out of 51 games this year), but 60-70 points is a huge difference in batting average. I also slug about 300 points better, so I'm not just getting lucky with dinkers or anything.

We came out strong, one of our new guys hit 2 HRs and we played good D the first 5 innings. Then we couldn't hit anymore (we have 4 guys who will be lucky to hit .250 which is sad, once we get our full squad it'll be better) and we made some key defensive mistakes that led to extra runs.

Lost 14-8 in the end (led through the 5th). Went 3-4 though so that was good.

Won our first game 13-4 on our quest for the 3-peat, Smoked a couple of liners to the outfield, had a gapper (wind blowing in majorly) hang up a little too much and the guy "tip-drilled" me for the out, then tried to smoke a homer in the last inning. 2-4, 2 RBI's, 2 Runs...I'll take it

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 13, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
Do your pitchers usually NOT throw complete games?

That's true, but we did have a guy who absolutely sucked who we had to pull from games a few times last year. Plus a lot of times you have two pitchers start games.

It sounds way sweeter saying 2 complete games though. I feel like Wilbur Wood.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 13, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
That's true, but we did have a guy who absolutely sucked who we had to pull from games a few times last year. Plus a lot of times you have two pitchers start games.

Ouch. Did he tell you guys that he could pitch, or was he the short straw

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 13, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
Ouch. Did he tell you guys that he could pitch, or was he the short straw

He said he could pitch. He walked 4 straight and like 8 in a game before we finally pulled him. He blamed it on the wind, but it was plenty windy last night and I only walked 2 guys in 14 innings and I hated myself for those.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 13, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)

Well, you'll never feel like Kerry Wood cause you'll never K 20 batters in one game.

I am on a work team that we just started in March. This is my first time playing competitive softball, but I have played baseball for a good portion of my life so its not much different. We ended the first season 2-8, including a wonderful 34-5 loss in one of those games. I am trying to hit home runs, but I can seem to get the right swing down. Ive hit the fence a few times, and I know im plenty strong enough to get the ball out. Any of you seasoned softball players have any advice for this? I could probably bat 1.000 but I end up popping out to deepish left and left center regularly because I am trying to hit the ball out of the park.

Our second season starts Sunday, hopefully we will be a little better than last season.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 15, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
I am on a work team that we just started in March. This is my first time playing competitive softball, but I have played baseball for a good portion of my life so its not much different. We ended the first season 2-8, including a wonderful 34-5 loss in one of those games. I am trying to hit home runs, but I can seem to get the right swing down. Ive hit the fence a few times, and I know im plenty strong enough to get the ball out. Any of you seasoned softball players have any advice for this? I could probably bat 1.000 but I end up popping out to deepish left and left center regularly because I am trying to hit the ball out of the park.

Our second season starts Sunday, hopefully we will be a little better than last season.

My first question would be, does your league use flight resistant balls?

and my second would be what bat are you using.

Other than that, i would think your timing is just a bit off.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
My first question would be, does your league use flight resistant balls?

and my second would be what bat are you using.

Other than that, i would think your timing is just a bit off.

I don't know about the type of ball they use

I have been using a Psycho.. they have a bunch of bats, but like I said im not 100% sure about what all this softball stuff is just yet

QUOTE (TRU @ May 15, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)

Few questions.

What kind of softball is this? 12 inch? What association?

If it's 12 inch and it's ASA, what bat are you using?

If you're hitting balls to the fence with an aluminum bat, then that is mighty impressive. Getting a composite will turn you into a real good home run hitter.

If you're using a good composite bat and you're only hitting to the wall...then stop trying to hit home runs. Yes, they're nice, but your job in softball is to get on base. A team full of guys who get on base at a .700 clip will be way better than a team with 3-4 sluggers who can hit the ball out 25% of the time.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
I don't know about the type of ball they use

I have been using a Psycho.. they have a bunch of bats, but like I said im not 100% sure about what all this softball stuff is just yet

Since you are just starting, just concentrate on hitting the ball hard, not trying to hit it out of the park. I know you are a big dude, once you "get it", it will be easy for you. Once you start smoking line drives all over, the homeruns will come.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
Few questions.

What kind of softball is this? 12 inch? What association?

If it's 12 inch and it's ASA, what bat are you using?

If you're hitting balls to the fence with an aluminum bat, then that is mighty impressive. Getting a composite will turn you into a real good home run hitter.

If you're using a good composite bat and you're only hitting to the wall...then stop trying to hit home runs. Yes, they're nice, but your job in softball is to get on base. A team full of guys who get on base at a .700 clip will be way better than a team with 3-4 sluggers who can hit the ball out 25% of the time.

Im only trying to hit home runs because I just want to hit one, im the only person on the team who has gotten even remotely close to hitting a home run. After I hit one, I will just hit line drives to short left and get singles or doubles every at bat, that's something I can do every time fairly easily. Our team really isn't that great, we have a bunch of guys who have multiple strikeouts already in just 10 games. Most of our players ground out, or weakly pop up in the infield. We have about 4 of our 13 guys who can hit somewhat decently.

It would appear to be ASA

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
Since you are just starting, just concentrate on hitting the ball hard, not trying to hit it out of the park. I know you are a big dude, once you "get it", it will be easy for you. Once you start smoking line drives all over, the homeruns will come.

I can already do that though, I just want to hit one home run and then I will go back to just hitting line drives. Im just thinking maybe im not swinging correctly since im just used to baseball and not slowpitch softball.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
I can already do that though, I just want to hit one home run and then I will go back to just hitting line drives. Im just thinking maybe im not swinging correctly since im just used to baseball and not slowpitch softball.

Then honestly, you should continue doing it. I honestly don't know anyone who can get a hit every single time (maybe 75-80% of the time, but never all the time). The fact that you can apparently get on base on-demand is way better than hitting the occasional home run.

Like Kyle said, keep hitting line drives. The home runs will come. I've hit HRs that were more or less line drives and those feel way better than a towering fly ball that just happens to go out.

Also, doesn't your league have a HR limit?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (TRU @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)

It will come. There is a slight adjustment from baseball to softball. Our third baseman had a problem last year going back and forth between Midwest Baseball League and our team, so he popped a lot of balls up in the summer, and when fall started, he began hitting bombs with regularity because baseball season was over