Slow pitch softball thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 15, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
Do some BP or go to the batting cages.

It's much easier to practice something like that there than in a game.

You can try creating some kind of timing mechanism in your swing to make sure you end up waiting a bit longer. Whether it's a longer leg kick, toe tap, etc.

I'm a stepper and it helped me with timing.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 15, 2014 -> 04:56 PM)
I'm a stepper and it helped me with timing.

I started doing that recently to start hitting opposite field more and to stop reaching for shallower pitches.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 15, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
This is our old old ball

image.jpg

Our game tonite is at 9:40, I will take a pic then. All of my bag balls have the writing rubbed off

Wow, I wish I can play in your league. All of my doubles and triples would turn into home runs.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 15, 2014 -> 11:14 PM)
Wow, I wish I can play in your league. All of my doubles and triples would turn into home runs.

New ball

image.jpg

So we are back down to 375. It seriously changes every year

We lost again last night, 18-15. I went 3/4 with 2 doubles and a single. As well as a terribly embarrassing base running error that cost us a run :(

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 16, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
New ball

image.jpg

We lost again last night, 18-15. I went 3/4 with 2 doubles and a single. As well as a terribly embarrassing base running error that cost us a run :(

I'm going to start calling you De Aza

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 16, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
I'm going to start calling you De Aza

My slide was de aza-esque for sure. Hesitated running to third and when I went to slide my cleat stuck and I popped up. If I never hesitated I would have had the base easy

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 16, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
New ball

image.jpg

Eventually, I'm thinking you guys are gonna switch to the .52 cor balls. They're a b**** to field since they're so bouncy and it's hard to drive 'em.

Well season started last night. We won the first game because the team we were playing didn't have enough people. So they picked up 5 guys and beat us 14-3. We still got the win by forfeit at least. Our second game we lost 20-2. They scored 12 in the first inning, the game only went 3 innings due to mercy rule.

I batted 3rd the first game, and 2nd the second game. I got a whole 4 plate appearances in TWO games last night. I ended up 2/3 with a BB and a 2B. My lone out was a bases loaded line drive that the SS snagged, sucks too as it was headed for the gap between LF and LCF. Other than that, I gave up my pursuit of hitting a HR and instead opted to try and do what I thought I could do and just hit line drives for base hits every time. It seemed to work out pretty good as my two hits on the night were both line drives right over the infield.

Our team is so bad though. Our RF and RCF cant judge fly balls so they either go way over their head or drp in front of them, and our lineup is a black hole outside of our first 4 batters. Its nothing but infield pop-ups or weak groundballs.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)
Well season started last night. We won the first game because the team we were playing didn't have enough people. So they picked up 5 guys and beat us 14-3. We still got the win by forfeit at least. Our second game we lost 20-2. They scored 12 in the first inning, the game only went 3 innings due to mercy rule.

I batted 3rd the first game, and 2nd the second game. I got a whole 4 plate appearances in TWO games last night. I ended up 2/3 with a BB and a 2B. My lone out was a bases loaded line drive that the SS snagged, sucks too as it was headed for the gap between LF and LCF. Other than that, I gave up my pursuit of hitting a HR and instead opted to try and do what I thought I could do and just hit line drives for base hits every time. It seemed to work out pretty good as my two hits on the night were both line drives right over the infield.

Our team is so bad though. Our RF and RCF cant judge fly balls so they either go way over their head or drp in front of them, and our lineup is a black hole outside of our first 4 batters. Its nothing but infield pop-ups or weak groundballs.

Playing on teams like that is either a blast because it is so fun-bad, or it is a weekly death march.

Either way, if YOU play good, other teams will notice, and you can parlay your good play into free agency ;)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
Playing on teams like that is either a blast because it is so fun-bad, or it is a weekly death march.

Either way, if YOU play good, other teams will notice, and you can parlay your good play into free agency ;)

Yeah its laughable bad and I don't mind too much as my main goal is to have fun, but it becomes less fun when you only get to bat twice in a game where you are in the 2 hole.

Heres what bothers me most about it. Our rules are 7 innings or 55 minutes, ok well we are losing 20-2 after 3 innings and about 25 minutes why call the game? I would rather get to play it out then go home 30 minutes early because we suck. I mean we did pay to play.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
Heres what bothers me most about it. Our rules are 7 innings or 55 minutes, ok well we are losing 20-2 after 3 innings and about 25 minutes why call the game? I would rather get to play it out then go home 30 minutes early because we suck. I mean we did pay to play.

Usually you can only run rule with about 15 or 10 minutes left and the score wouldn't even matter.

Our leagues play at least 4 and a half innings.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
Usually you can only run rule with about 15 or 10 minutes left and the score wouldn't even matter.

Our leagues play at least 4 and a half innings.

Since you seem to be the stat man around here, let me ask you if you would call this an error. A guy hit a pop that was behind second base, I came sprinting in from LCF and had to attempt a shoe string catch, the ball hit the palm of my glove and I didn't catch it. Would you score this as an error? An infielder wouldn't have been able to make the play, and I had to sprint to it just to have an attempt to catch it.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 19, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
Since you seem to be the stat man around here, let me ask you if you would call this an error. A guy hit a pop that was behind second base, I came sprinting in from LCF and had to attempt a shoe string catch, the ball hit the palm of my glove and I didn't catch it. Would you score this as an error? An infielder wouldn't have been able to make the play, and I had to sprint to it just to have an attempt to catch it.

There are no errors in softball :). That sounds like a line drive single in the book

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 19, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
There are no errors in softball :). That sounds like a line drive single in the book

Im playing with my 12"-12 1/2" Nokona baseball glove, im thinking I need an Slowpitch OF glove, but haven't noticed a huge problem yet. Although I wasn't able to snag that shoestring catch, and then in the first game almost had a line drive snow cone out of my glove.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 19, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
Im playing with my 12"-12 1/2" Nokona baseball glove, im thinking I need an Slowpitch OF glove, but haven't noticed a huge problem yet. Although I wasn't able to snag that shoestring catch, and then in the first game almost had a line drive snow cone out of my glove.

If your mitt is preformed to a baseball glove it will definitely give you some snow cone issues until it opens up. I use an outfielders glove at first and it is fine for me

QUOTE (TRU @ May 19, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)

My theory is if you get your glove on it and you don't make the catch, it's probably an error.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 19, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)

Yeah, go get a 13 or 14 inch glove. It helps in the OF.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)

No slaughter rule in the league? We had a rule that if you were up 20 after 3, 15 after 4, or 10 after 5, the game was over.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
No slaughter rule in the league? We had a rule that if you were up 20 after 3, 15 after 4, or 10 after 5, the game was over.

Well there has to be a slaughter rule as they called the game last night after 3 innings when we were down 20-2. Im just saying that we paid to play, and we still had 4 innings and about 30 minutes of time left, why not just let us play. Better than only getting to bat twice and go home 30 mins early.

Ok just looked it up, 15 after 3 and 10 after 5.

Edited by TRU

Our slaughter rule, I think is 20 after 4 or 15 after 5 innings.

We have a team in our league that hasn't won a game in 5 years. They get blasted, but they try.

Edited by Brian