It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
27? 28?

Right about the age where you think you've got the world all figured out...

Sitting here in a classroom with 14-15 year olds and they all believe they have the world figured out.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 23, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
Sitting here in a classroom with 14-15 year olds and they all believe they have the world figured out.
My career as a history teacher was very brief and unhappy. I was even fairly popular at one school. In the rapidly changing technological world, where you buy an item and it's obsolete by the time you take it home, history and geography don't count for squat anymore.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
I do think that Harrelson represents the "old guard," and, to an extent, that's what has turned SOME young fans off from watching Sox games.

From watching my students not being able to understand or really care much about anything which happened before they were born...it's that short-term focus, the immediate now, that gets to me. From having taught history, it's annoying when many schools (especially here in Asia) are making it an elective or not even carrying it as a course.

So I get the fact that maybe baseball history and anecdotes from the past, that's not everyone's cup of tea. Some people love his obscure name droppings and comparisons (I am guilty of the same thing)...others, it drives them batty and they want a more "insightful" commentary about what's actually going on within the game.

They do want everything to be thrown at them in terms of roto world stats and more quantitative analysis. Which is kind of the opposite of Harrelson...the whole "Moneyball" thing all over again, except this time applied to broadcasting.

I'm surprised that in Asia of all places, the study of history is going by the wayside.

You remember last year before the first pitch, Steve would turn it over to Hawk by saying something like "now I'll turn it over to the play-by-play announcer, Hawk Harrelson" and then Hawk would would reply "Alright, Stone Pony." How come they changed that up and now call each other by their first names?

Anyways, I love Hawk.

Look I'm younger, but I actually think Hawk gives pretty decent analysis and I don't think you are going to find a play-by-play announcer that can give you that much more analysis.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ May 23, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
You remember last year before the first pitch, Steve would turn it over to Hawk by saying something like "now I'll turn it over to the play-by-play announcer, Hawk Harrelson" and then Hawk would would reply "Alright, Stone Pony." How come they changed that up and now call each other by their first names?

Anyways, I love Hawk.

Look I'm younger, but I actually think Hawk gives pretty decent analysis and I don't think you are going to find a play-by-play announcer that can give you that much more analysis.

I think they decided between the two of them, or else they were told, to tone it down and to work together better. The interplay between them is much more professional and pleasant this year. Hawk is not stepping on Stone as much and Stone has responded in kind. Yes, Hawk has an ego and is thin skinned. I liked the Hawk and Wimpy team the best. They were able to keep my interest similar to what Harry and Jimmy did a generation before them. Made me want to turn on the game despite the mediocre to lousy Sox teams of the late 90's. Edited by SI1020

Hawk is one of my idols. He is the reason I do play-by-play now. I love him to death, however, I will acknowledge he is an awful, awful broadcaster. And even with that said, I want him in the booth until he is dead.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 23, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
Hawk is one of my idols. He is the reason I do play-by-play now. I love him to death, however, I will acknowledge he is an awful, awful broadcaster. And even with that said, I want him in the booth until he is dead.

I like Hawk. I loved the pairing of Wimpy and Hawk. I liked them even more than Harry and Jimmy. I agree however that he is pretty awful and becoming increasingly worse with advancing age. It's much like how awful Harry became. I just wish Hawk would decide to "hang 'em up". He's just like the athlete that keeps playing even though he's obviously not good any more. And you can't blame him, he loves what he's doing.

It's also because of the way history is taught, and yeah, 5000 years of histories and dynasties to memorize, that's mind-numbing.

In a way, history is for the adults here...parents and grandparents and those who remember Mao Zedong's time.

For everyone born from the 1980's onward, it's all about money and greed, driving a BMW/Mercedes/Audi and how much real estate you own and how many investment properties you can flip for a quick profit, thanks to your "guanxi" (connections) with local government officials.

Math and science, math and science....up, up, up, study, study, study, work hard. Rinse and repeat.

I always say to friends back home China is more like the US in the 90's after the Japanese miracle ended. The only difference is there's no social "safety" net here for retirement or health care.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
Nothing will ever top Ed Farmer and Darrin Jackson talking about the raps of Snoop Dogg.

Haha I caught that too, Farmer saying "schnizzle" was pretty great.

That's kind of their staple/schtick now.

DJ with some of his "hipster" talk, trying to bait Farmer into going there with him.

That or DJ singing some 70's/80's/90's song really really poorly.

Or their pronunciation of JOHN-SON.

Or getting on Rosenberg or the official scorers in most cities.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 23, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
Blondes/ Brunettes

Boxers/Briefs

PS3/X-box

Personal preference, no right or wrong.

As for me Hawk is great , Hawk is good. Amen .

BOXERS, DAMMIT!

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
Blondes/ Brunettes

Boxers/Briefs

PS3/X-box

Personal preference, no right or wrong.

As for me Hawk is great , Hawk is good. Amen .

Brunettes

Briefs

XBox

And give me Hawk/Stone or Farmer/DJ

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 24, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
DJ is terrible and should honestly be replaced IMO. Sometimes I feel bad for Farmer for having to deal with some of DJ's non-sense.

they are both terrible

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 24, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
DJ is terrible and should honestly be replaced IMO. Sometimes I feel bad for Farmer for having to deal with some of DJ's non-sense.

I kind of like DJ. I hated him with Hawk, but now that he's free to be weird...I kind of like his strange sense of humor.

Just goes to show what others have said in this thread: somebody likes everybody and nobody's right.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 24, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
Rooney and Farmer was a good team.

Current Farmer/DJ radio booth isn't great, isn't terrible, but is waaaaay better than the current TV booth.

In my opinion (since this is all this thread is), for some entertainly uncomfortable moments, the radio team is better. DJ just makes some weird-ass comments, and Farmer tries to respond. But, as a complement to the game, I'll take the TV guys.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
In my opinion (since this is all this thread is), for some entertainly uncomfortable moments, the radio team is better. DJ just makes some weird-ass comments, and Farmer tries to respond. But, as a complement to the game, I'll take the TV guys.

I think either Farmer and DJ absolutely hate each other, or they are the best friends in the world. I can't decide which. There are just way too many uncomfortable moments.