Quintana

59th street

When Danks returns do you send Quintana back down or is there another roster move that keeps him in Chicago?

He has done an excellent job in all three of his opportunities.

Hard to believe as he is a member of the WORST FARM SYSTEM IN THE HISTORY OF THE GALAXY.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (59th street @ May 30, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
When Danks returns do you send Quintana back down or is there another roster move that keeps him in Chicago?

He has done an excellent job in all three of his opportunities.

Hard to believe as he is a member of the WORST FARM SYSTEM IN THE HISTORY OF THE GALAXY.

If only kenny were more like that guy in toronto with the funny name

I was thinking of a modified 6 man rotation. You give everyone periodic breaks for 1-2 starts with Quintana taking those starts. You keep everyone that is pitching on a 5 day schedule with one guy getting time off. You'd have to let go of Ohman or option Santana/Stewart to do it.

Might be too hard to do or not worth f***ing around with Quintana.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 30, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
I was thinking of a modified 6 man rotation. You give everyone periodic breaks for 1-2 starts with Quintana taking those starts. You keep everyone that is pitching on a 5 day schedule with one guy getting time off. You'd have to let go of Ohman or option Santana/Stewart to do it.

Might be too hard to do or not worth f***ing around with Quintana.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here... It's been what, three starts? Granted, I haven't been able to watch any of them (turned the game on today right as he was making the pitch that got him thrown out), but there's no need to hamstring our roster because of three starts.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 30, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here... It's been what, three starts? Granted, I haven't been able to watch any of them (turned the game on today right as he was making the pitch that got him thrown out), but there's no need to hamstring our roster because of three starts.

I don't think he's pitched so well that it's as if he MUST be on the roster. I do wonder if the Sox are eager to have a chance to reduce the innings workload on several of their starters, though. Being able to give Sale, Humber, Peavy periodic rest could be very beneficial...but again, I don't know if they want to bother with it and it could blow up in their face with one bad outing from Q.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 30, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
Trade Floyd for a 3B at deadline and have Quintana take his spot in the rotation.

Hmmm....that'd be risky, but I'd probably be ok with that. Floyd for Youk + Cash? Figure out a way to get David Wright? Michael Young? I don't know, but if we can get a real solid 3B, this team will be very dangerous.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 30, 2012 -> 05:56 PM)
We sure do like to bait here at Soxtalk.

But, you absolutely send him down. With how fragile our starters are, we need somebody in the minors to be ready to step in for a spot start.

As a quality poster, you should feel proud that you are intelligent enough to recognize and disregard it.

I salute you! :cheers

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 30, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
Hmmm....that'd be risky, but I'd probably be ok with that. Floyd for Youk + Cash? Figure out a way to get David Wright? Michael Young? I don't know, but if we can get a real solid 3B, this team will be very dangerous.

The Mets have really no need for Gavin Floyd if they're trading Wright away, and the Rangers aren't going to "Help out another contender" (and I'm not sure you'd want Young at 3b anyway).

I'd still hate to put Youkilis over at 3b and watch his body collapse more.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 30, 2012 -> 05:56 PM)
We sure do like to bait here at Soxtalk.

But, you absolutely send him down. With how fragile our starters are, we need somebody in the minors to be ready to step in for a spot start.

If he tears up AAA the whole year, then we have one nice cheap potential starter for next year waiting to take over a spot from either Floyd or Peavy.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 30, 2012 -> 05:31 PM)

The Mets are saying they are going to start talks with Wright soon, and the Rangers just signed Oswalt...

I think Floyd will most likely stay until the end of the year unless someone gets crazy...like the O's...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 30, 2012 -> 06:34 PM)
The Mets are saying they are going to start talks with Wright soon, and the Rangers just signed Oswalt...

I think Floyd will most likely stay until the end of the year unless someone gets crazy...like the O's...

even if desperate, the O's wouldn't be likely to help out a team they might have to compete for 1 of the wild card spots with. If the Sox were giving up floyd for prospects that wouldn't help at the major league level sure, but they're not going to help "Fill the 3b hole".

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 30, 2012 -> 05:57 PM)
Whats wrong with a 6 man rotation? We talked about it before? And I think almost everyone in the rotation benefits from the extra day. IMO this needs to be strongly considered, at least for a few more starts to see what Quintana is made of.

And have Sale and Peavy start less games. No thanks.

When is the last time a major league team sent down on any pitcher who had two starts with under a 2.00 ERA (combined) and had held right-handed batters to a 1/24 clip (0.042)?

When someone is THAT effective against RHP, that's arguably more valuable than holding onto Ohman/Santiago.

There's no reason not to let Santiago get some more work in the minors and get a better feel for his offspeed stuff and then bring him back up when/if Stewart and/or Quintana falter.

And they're not just going to eat Ohman's salary. Even though it isn't a huge one. Robin was about to use him in the 8th inning in a key situation against Carlos Pena. He's not getting released/waived.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kev211 @ May 30, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
And have Sale and Peavy start less games. No thanks.

You realize Sale pitching less is what we need to happen. 200 innings from him is potentially disastrous and reckless on our part. If we can limit his innings without making his individual starts shorter and without making him stop permanently in the middle of a pennant run, that'd be perfect. Peavy likely falls into this category too, along with Humber.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 30, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
You realize Sale pitching less is what we need to happen. 200 innings from him is potentially disastrous and reckless on our part. If we can limit his innings without making his individual starts shorter and without making him stop permanently in the middle of a pennant run, that'd be perfect. Peavy likely falls into this category too, along with Humber.

I don't actually think they should do this, but the thought came to me that maybe they should shut Sale down now until after the break. Keep Quintana going through interleague and the rest of the first half. If he's good, then maybe you feel comfortable trading Floyd. Then Sale gets 15 starts/100 innings in the second half. That would put him at 155-160 innings going into the postseason.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 30, 2012 -> 06:14 PM)
I don't actually think they should do this, but the thought came to me that maybe they should shut Sale down now until after the break. Keep Quintana going through interleague and the rest of the first half. If he's good, then maybe you feel comfortable trading Floyd. Then Sale gets 15 starts/100 innings in the second half. That would put him at 155-160 innings going into the postseason.

I'd be interested in them finding some clever way to lessen the workload. I suppose this is what they make the big money for.