Zach Stewart!

tonyho7476

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Over/under on home runs hit in this game?

What's the weather and expected wind directions/speed for tmrw night?

Well, it is the Cubs. Probably only 5 homes will be hit.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
I have tickets to this game. I want a refund! I was expecting to wear my black Peavy Jersey. This is bulls***!

Stewart pitching? What are they planning to give the regulars an extra day of rest?

Makes saense to me. Doesn't appear to be a viable bullpen option at this point.

So, give him a couple starts to either: Showcase him...Or to stretch him out in case Floyd/Humber continue to struggle.

And if you're going to do it... Why not against a weak ball club like the Cubs?

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
Makes saense to me. Doesn't appear to be a viable bullpen option at this point.

So, give him a couple starts to either: Showcase him...Or to stretch him out in case Floyd/Humber continue to struggle.

And if you're going to do it... Why not against a weak ball club like the Cubs?

I, unlike most, actually think Zach can succeed as a MLB starter. So I am not disappointed with the notion at all. It's pretty clear pushing him into the mop-up role is not one he is going to flourish in right now, so try him in a different role. If he fails at that, then they can put him in Charlotte as a starter.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
I, unlike most, actually think Zach can succeed as a MLB starter. So I am not disappointed with the notion at all. It's pretty clear pushing him into the mop-up role is not one he is going to flourish in right now, so try him in a different role. If he fails at that, then they can put him in Charlotte as a starter.

I think Kenny reads my posts. I was suggesting Zach start in the game thread last night.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
Yes, you have been suggesting he move to a starting role for quite some time.

Being thrown into the fire like this may not be ideal, but hopefully he capitalizes. The team he's facing is something like a good AAA team

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
At best, we can hope for something like a 7-4 win or 11-6 or something.

At worst like an 11-2 blowout loss.

You could say this about any game. Best case scenario: score double digits; worst case scenario: give up double digits.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)

Stewart is pretty horrendous. He has a 1.57 WHIP over 91+ innings. Something has to change quickly. To be honest, I think this is a "last chance" start for him.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
Stewart is pretty horrendous. He has a 1.57 WHIP over 91+ innings. Something has to change quickly. To be honest, I think this is a "last chance" start for him.

I think you are right. With Danks status looming, I think this is the last chance cafe for Stewart.

I think this sort of reeks of being a showcase start for a potential deal. However, Zach has the raw tools to be a pretty effective starter with a pretty good sinker and a good change and a curveball that is sometimes there. Used correctly, he'll hardly need anything but his sinker. It's tough to get that sinker to play out of the pen so I'm interested in seeing if he can get a nice rhythm going and getting ground balls today. This aggressive, light hitting Cubs team should not do well against a sinker because I don't think they have much of an opposite field approach across the board nor are they patient enough to wait for pitches up in the zone.

Unless he's absolutely nails in this outing, he probably goes down the instant we have another starting pitcher around. If he gets shelled, I don't think he'll go straight down...still have to wait for Danks/acquired pitcher.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:14 AM)
I think this sort of reeks of being a showcase start for a potential deal. However, Zach has the raw tools to be a pretty effective starter with a pretty good sinker and a good change and a curveball that is sometimes there. Used correctly, he'll hardly need anything but his sinker. It's tough to get that sinker to play out of the pen so I'm interested in seeing if he can get a nice rhythm going and getting ground balls today. This aggressive, light hitting Cubs team should not do well against a sinker because I don't think they have much of an opposite field approach across the board nor are they patient enough to wait for pitches up in the zone.

Unless he's absolutely nails in this outing, he probably goes down the instant we have another starting pitcher around. If he gets shelled, I don't think he'll go straight down...still have to wait for Danks/acquired pitcher.

Whatever some of you guys see, I don't see. He has the epitome of mediocre to poor stuff. There is nothing in this guy that I see that makes me think, wow, he could be good. Whomever scouted this guy with the Jays must have been smoking something cause I don't see any upside in him as is.

The Jays obviously thought enough of him to give him a handful of starts last season when they were still in the division race.

That said, he's mysteriously lost 3-4 MPH on his fastball.

And Molina's lost the ability to strike out opposing hitters or record a sub 4.5 ERA in a pitcher's haven.

Go away, Marco Paddy!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
The Jays obviously thought enough of him to give him a handful of starts last season when they were still in the division race.

That said, he's mysteriously lost 3-4 MPH on his fastball.

And Molina's lost the ability to strike out opposing hitters or record a sub 4.5 ERA in a pitcher's haven.

Go away, Marco Paddy!

It's not just the Jays. Stewart was rated the #1 prospect in the BlueJays system by Baseball America in 2010.