White Sox vs Iowa 6.19 Official Game Thread

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 10:38 PM)
As much as I respect PK, and would like to see him finish his career in a Sox uniform, in the right deal that he approves, you gotta pull the trigger.

What?

first Ozzie, then Mark, now Paulie?

How dare you.

don't you remember 2005?

nobody wins titles in Chicago, nobody

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 10:38 PM)
As much as I respect PK, and would like to see him finish his career in a Sox uniform, in the right deal that he approves, you gotta pull the trigger.

Kenny will add before he dumps. This is a guy who has had opportunity to trade off players. The next time you will see a fire sale will involve a new GM and possibly a new ownership. It Will always want to have something to keep some season ticket holders to renew.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
Yes it would, the only untouchable on the roster would be Sale. Dodgers would have to be very interested in Konerko and Peavy, as they have the money to spend.

1. Sale

2. Viciedo (unless you got bowled over with an offer)

3. DeAza (because it's so hard to find someone so cheaply who can do everything he does)

4. Jones/Reed (pick the one you think ends up the best closer and hold onto him, possibly deal the other)

5. Mitchell

Those are the players I would most like to keep going forward.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
Kenny will add before he dumps. This is a guy who has had opportunity to trade off players. The next time you will see a fire sale will involve a new GM and possibly a new ownership. It Will always want to have something to keep some season ticket holders to renew.

Then it's going to have to be Sale and Viciedo.

And the SUPER TOUGH decision about what to do with Konerko, when it comes down to it...you can make VERY compelling arguments both ways, and there's no chance with most to have that discussion without letting emotions enter into it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 10:51 PM)
Then it's going to have to be Sale and Viciedo.

And the SUPER TOUGH decision about what to do with Konerko, when it comes down to it...you can make VERY compelling arguments both ways, and there's no chance with most to have that discussion without letting emotions enter into it.

Mitchell + for a mediocre player to show we are all in.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 04:44 AM)

Exactly!

You get a total "rebuild" here and you are looking at 10,000 fans a game.

You think 20,000 to 25,000 a night is bad. You just wait til the Sox go total rebuild.

Sox just can't shake being team dysfunction. This home record is f***ing ridiculous. Winning nine and immediately going in the tank is incomprehensible, but it is the White Sox over and over again.

Trading Konerko, BTW is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. For what??? Three prospects? What prospects do you want and think you can get?

Edited by greg775

The Sox suck at home this year.

16 and what...20 now?

They overtook Cleveland last time they had a long road trip - hopefully they do it again.

Edited by Andrew

Exactly!

You think 20,000 to 25,000 a night is bad. You just wait til the Sox go total rebuild.

Sox just can't shake being team dysfunction. This home record is f***ing ridiculous. Winning nine and immediately going in the tank is incomprehensible, but it is the White Sox over and over again.

Trading Konerko, BTW is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. For what??? Three prospects? What prospects do you want and think you can get?

STFU.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
Exactly!

Greg, if you had Konerko, AJ and Buehrle along with our AAA/AA roster, what would the attendance be per game?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 04:56 AM)

If you get some damn good prospects (like what the Astros got for Pence last year), and then you turn around and use Konerko's money to bring in a quality starting pitcher this offseason, I'd be all for it. Like it or not, some of the bigger named Sox players are going to have to be traded if you want to build up the farm system while not trying to go into a full rebuilding mode.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 05:09 AM)
Greg, if you had Konerko, AJ and Buehrle along with our AAA/AA roster, what would the attendance be per game?

Well, Buehrle is going to be an All-Star this year due to his 5-8 record and 3.82 ERA. It's going to be a tough call about whether or not he starts the ASG over Dickey.

What is the point of this?

It's an after game thread. And only Cubs fans think attendance justifies sucking.

This team excels on the road (so far), encourage that.

I don't even understand why you would try to rile him up...what the f*** is that going to do? Sox aren't going to trade a .5 game out, as long as they stay close to ASB, they shouldn't, the division is weak....

Really - Do you think an extra 10K fans are going to show up at the next homestand or something cuz you gave the "biz-naz" to Gregg?

Who cares - relax. This division is absolute SHHHHIIIITTTTT and I'm amazed the Sox are even above .500!

Enjoy it, you dummies!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 10:23 PM)
In all fairness to Hudson, he's playing out of position. His pop up with the bases loaded an one out was at least close to as bad as his throw, and you can throw blame at him for that. All the mess ups at 3B, that's on KW and the White Sox. The guy isn't a thirdbaseman.

He had all day to make that throw today. Instead he thought he was a 2B and made a crappy underarm throw.

That's totally avoidable. That's a mental mistake.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
What is the point of this?

It's an after game thread. And only Cubs fans think attendance justifies sucking.

I don't even understand why you would try to rile him up...what the f*** is that going to do? Sox aren't going to trade a .5 game out, as long as they stay close to ASB, they shouldn't, the division is weak....

Really - Do you think an extra 10K fans are going to show up at the next homestand or something cuz you gave the "biz-naz" to Gregg?

Who cares - relax. This division is absolute SHHHHIIIITTTTT and I'm amazed the Sox are even above .500!

Enjoy it, you dummies!

I'm not sure what to make of this post.

I think they might turn up at Applebee's for baby back ribs and to discuss baseball with Ozzie....and maybe have some chicken wings with honey mustard dipping sauce.

I'm not sure what to make of this post.

I think they might turn up at Applebee's for baby back ribs and to discuss baseball with Ozzie....and maybe have some chicken wings with honey mustard dipping sauce.

Edited by Andrew

Maybe some have been duped. It very well could be this team is much closer to a 90 loss season than 90 wins and everything is coming back to earth.

I wonder is new generations of fans have a loyalty at all costs. You have an owner and GM saying the team sucks because people don't show up. It's like saying the fans suck. So when is there a point where the fan says "screw you Jerry!", there are other teams to root for.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 04:35 AM)
Maybe some have been duped. It very well could be this team is much closer to a 90 loss season than 90 wins and everything is coming back to earth.

I wonder is new generations of fans have a loyalty at all costs. You have an owner and GM saying the team sucks because people don't show up. It's like saying the fans suck. So when is there a point where the fan says "screw you Jerry!", there are other teams to root for.

I was looking at the attendance figures for 2005 during June, and the attendance is definitely down this month for the Sox compared to that month (both teams in first place during that month). It does make you wonder why there's been such a decrease in the fan base this season. I know, and respect, that many on here hate talking about attendance though.

I was looking at the attendance figures for 2005 during June, and the attendance is definitely down this month for the Sox compared to that month (both teams in first place during that month). It does make you wonder why there's been such a decrease in the fan base this season. I know, and respect, that many on here hate talking about attendance though.

UD seats were $54 last night for second series vs Scrubs ($35 in 2005).

I'll say it again - The Sox are Home Losers... Road Winners (at least so far).

I don't wonder about a decrease <sic> "fanbase"....like..... at all.....

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (Andrew @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 04:46 AM)
UD seats were $54 last night for second series vs Scrubs ($35 in 2005).

I'll say it again - The Sox are Home Losers... Road Winners (at least so far).

I don't wonder about a decrease "fanbase"....like at all.....

It would be interesting to hear about TV ratings for the Sox games this year.

It would be interesting to hear about TV ratings for the Sox games this year.

Yeah, sure would. I wonder how/if that has shifted, if at all.

*I hate when I post - "yeah, sure would...I wonder....ugghh.... "

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)

I think there was more of a positive upside going into 2005. People still like Ozzie, they only fan favorite they lost was Maggs. They were also playing solid baseball.

The economy is worse. Higher unemployment, lower consumer confidence, gas prices all seem to have an effect. With higher ticket prices I would imagine a family would put that amount towards the Bears or Bulls.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
I think there was more of a positive upside going into 2005. People still like Ozzie, they only fan favorite they lost was Maggs. They were also playing solid baseball.

The economy is worse. Higher unemployment, lower consumer confidence, gas prices all seem to have an effect. With higher ticket prices I would imagine a family would put that amount towards the Bears or Bulls.

Valentin and El Caballo say "hi!"

In all seriousness, along with 2005/06, I think the more interesting comparison attendance-wise is 2008.

That was coming out of the disaster of 2007, so there are a lot of similarities with 2011.

First four months of 2008, when the Sox were in first place for most of that time:

15-20K=3 games

20-25K=8 games

25-30K=19 games

30-35K=9 games

35+=12 games

An early Yankees series "only" averaged high 20's, but all the Cubs' home games were over 39000.

The Saturday games in that year drew really well, no matter who the opponent was...

In general, there's been a more than 5000 fan falloff from that time, coming off a bad 72-90.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 05:07 AM)
STFU.

Real mature response.

I happen to be insanely mad at losing two AT HOME to the Cubs. It's like we want to be .500 against them this year after sweeping them the first time.

Zach Stewart was a gimme.

Now we can't hit ... against the Cubs?? WTF.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
Real mature response.

I happen to be insanely mad at losing two AT HOME to the Cubs. It's like we want to be .500 against them this year after sweeping them the first time.

Zach Stewart was a gimme.

Now we can't hit ... against the Cubs?? WTF.

We just ran over teams like a freight train in that 14-2 stretch, and the Indians' announcers just said...well, there's nothing you can do to stop it, just be glad it's only 3 games and wait for the next time you face them.

As soon as we lost those two games in LA, the game where we couldn't get a runner across against Lynn, the bad news about Danks....it was the reverse of the lift the team experienced when Sale went back to the rotation.

If they do get swept by the Cubs, at home, there's going to be a lot of "soul searching" about the direction of this club and whether the costs of adding pieces to try to compete the next 6-8 weeks without Danks is worth it...as well as the idea that you'll be tempted to push him back to replace Sale when he reaches his innings' limit.