2012 Summer Olympics Thread

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
I could care less about the rule - if I didn't want to see things, I'd sure as hell avoid the internet and a thread about the Olympics. You're complaining about human error.

Im not complaining at all.

I was merely advising Balta of the rule.

Im sorry that so many of you seemingly dont want to follow a simple request of Southsider. If you dont like it, take it up with him. Its not my rule, if the rule wasnt in place, I wouldnt read the thread.

I presume SS2k made the rule so that we could talk about the Olmypics while we are at work and not worry about spoilers. But youd have to ask him, I simply am saying what the rule of this thread is.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
I normally would avoid it, but the rule of this thread is not to post spoilers without spoiler tag. This was specifically posted in this very thread.

I figured Balta didnt see the original post which is why I pointed it out, so that others would realize the rule.

If you dont like the rule, feel free to complain about that.

As the owner, I fully endorse the rule. I'm staying off of everything and this thread is supposed to be safe. Once the event has aired on tape delay (on NBC) its fare game. Until then, its a spoiler thread.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
It's official...North Korea has the ugliest women's soccer team.

Enjoy them while you can, since they didn't advance, I doubt you ever see them again. They now have a life-long date with a labor camp.

I watched a bit of the Olympic basketball today and was appalled at the lack of quality from the rest of the world. Spain might be the only team capable of making the NBA playoffs and honestly I think it would be close. Would any other country be able to get out of the NBA cellar?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 01:27 AM)
I watched a bit of the Olympic basketball today and was appalled at the lack of quality from the rest of the world. Spain might be the only team capable of making the NBA playoffs and honestly I think it would be close. Would any other country be able to get out of the NBA cellar?

A healthy France team could

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)

Cellar in the East or the West? All you would need to do is have at least one above average NBA player to be better than the Bobcats. :P

There's definitely a big drop-off after the US and Spain. If you have 2 or 3 decent NBA players, you're a bronze medal threat.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
There's definitely a big drop-off after the US and Spain. If you have 2 or 3 decent NBA players, you're a bronze medal threat.

Am I imagining things or did the rest of the world take a bit of a step back in the last few years?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
Am I imagining things or did the rest of the world take a bit of a step back in the last few years?

The other countries don't have the same depth, so if a key player or two gets too old or gets hurt, it's a bigger deal for them.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 12:37 AM)
Have the beach volleyball on in the background right now. I had no idea feet "freezing" was a gigantic issue. Hot water tubs, etc. It's been the commentary for about 50% of the entire match.

The players do complain about it alot. I've only worked tournaments here in the summer so I've never seen it but I've heard stories. The stories are talked about in terms of epic status. "Remember when my toes were blue with frozen foot. that was the worst case EVER."

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 12:37 AM)
Have the beach volleyball on in the background right now. I had no idea feet "freezing" was a gigantic issue. Hot water tubs, etc. It's been the commentary for about 50% of the entire match.

I'm just disappointed I don't get to see more bikinis.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
From this point forward, if people are going to discuss Olympic events, please use spoiler tags if the event has NOT yet aired in the US. Thanks all!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:31 AM)
I honestly checked through several pages and didn't see it.

Catching up here, I posted this right before the actual Olympics started so it did kinda get buried.

On the other hand if people want to start a real time spoiler filled thread, feel free, just be sure to label it as such, so people know it ahead of clicking.