2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)
71-69. Boston and Chicago almost got outscored by DePaul and Notre Dame who only played 40 minutes.

You might wanna check the box score, they actually played 45 minutes. Yes, Notre Dame actually needed OT to beat DePaul.

I was excited for the Heat Thunder game... it was over in the 1st quarter. That's got to be the worst possible outcome for the Thunder.

I know it's just the regular season, but to get swept and then completely blown out at home... how can you go into the Finals with any confidence (if you get there, of course).

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:40 PM)
Just give the Heat the title already. Let's focus on the offseason - semi serious.

I hear that Boozer + Robinson for Bargnani + JLIII is still on the table.

Trading Boozer for Bargnani makes no basketball sense... If they make that trade it's pure money. You can amnesty Boozer and clear room, but obviously that cost a lot of money. As soon as you trade him, you're stuck with Bargnani, and 0 cap room to make this team better.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:40 PM)
Just give the Heat the title already. Let's focus on the offseason - semi serious.

I hear that Boozer + Robinson for Bargnani + JLIII is still on the table.

I feel like the Heat would have a tougher time beating a team like the Spurs or Grizzlies than the Thunder. Unfortunately, the Thunder will most likely make the finals again. To beat the Heat you have to kill them on the glass and beat them inside. The Thunder can't do that. Ball movement helps too (something the Spurs are great at). That's what hurt the Heat against the Mavs two years ago. That and Lebron having the worst finals by a superstar ever.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)
The Grizzlies have fallen apart since they gave away Rudy Gay.

I think they're 4-2 since the trade (4-3 if you want to count the day of the trade when they didn't have Prince or Davis in uniform yet). I'm not sure I'd say that they've fallen apart though.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 08:25 AM)
I feel like the Heat would have a tougher time beating a team like the Spurs or Grizzlies than the Thunder. Unfortunately, the Thunder will most likely make the finals again. To beat the Heat you have to kill them on the glass and beat them inside. The Thunder can't do that. Ball movement helps too (something the Spurs are great at). That's what hurt the Heat against the Mavs two years ago. That and Lebron having the worst finals by a superstar ever.

That's where the Lakers with Howard/Gasol were supposed to come into play. But they're not even making the playoffs. Can't see anything outside of an injury that stops the Heat this year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
That's where the Lakers with Howard/Gasol were supposed to come into play. But they're not even making the playoffs. Can't see anything outside of an injury that stops the Heat this year.

Yeah, because they hired a terrible coach for their aging team. It probably wouldn't have mattered much anyways though because Dwight looks nothing like the dwight of the last few years. I agree that the Heat are probably going to win, but I think the Spurs would give them the most fits. Who checks Parker? Who checks Duncan? It would be really interesting. The Thunder eliminated the Spurs last year and will be favorites to do it again, however Harden dominated in that series and he's gone now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)
Was Dwights injury last year the same as this years?

He had surgery for the injury last year and hasn't recovered since. Although there's no telling whether or not he'll be as explosive as he was. If he isn't then he loses a ton of his value.

And people can say that the Center position has gone the way of the dodo bird, but look at how valuable Dwight was pre-injury. People argued that he was more valuable than Lebron at points and he took a team to the finals. He averaged 23 points per game. There isn't one thing that Dwight Howard could do better offensively than a young Shaq. Nothing. There aren't too many defensive anchors at Center anymore. Look at how valuable Chandler was for that Mavs team though. Look at how much the Pacers are paying Roy Hibbert. The Center position is going extinct, but it's because all the big men want to be like KG or Kevin Durant.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 06:06 PM)
He had surgery for the injury last year and hasn't recovered since. Although there's no telling whether or not he'll be as explosive as he was. If he isn't then he loses a ton of his value.

And people can say that the Center position has gone the way of the dodo bird, but look at how valuable Dwight was pre-injury. People argued that he was more valuable than Lebron at points and he took a team to the finals. He averaged 23 points per game. There isn't one thing that Dwight Howard could do better offensively than a young Shaq. Nothing. There aren't too many defensive anchors at Center anymore. Look at how valuable Chandler was for that Mavs team though. Look at how much the Pacers are paying Roy Hibbert. The Center position is going extinct, but it's because all the big men want to be like KG or Kevin Durant.

I don't think people necessarily feel that way about the position when there is someone that can play. I just think with how devoid that position is of talent, it's better to have a 6'9-6'10 agile player that can score and defend quicker opponents than just putting some 6'11-6'12 cement footed wafe there just out of tradition. If the talent that arrived in the late 80s-90s comes back then you'll see it become a bigger part of a team. It's undoubtedly a huge asset when your guards can press up because they know if they get beat to the drive a 7 foot monster will stuff their shot.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/Micha...t-left-building

"I value that," he says. "I like reminiscing. I do it more now watching basketball than anything. Man, I wish I was playing right now. I would give up everything now to go back and play the game of basketball."

The chasm between what his mind wants and what his body can give grows every year. If Jordan watches old video of Bulls games and then hits the gym, he says he'll go "berserk" on the exercise machines. It's frightening. A while back, his brother, Larry, who works for the team, noticed a commotion on the practice court. He looked out the window of his office and saw his brother dominating one of the best players on the Bobcats in one-on-one. The next morning, Larry says with a smile, Jordan never made it into his office. He got as far as the team's training room, where he received treatment.

h-text1.png

Edited by Steve9347

More from that f***ing amazing article I just posted above.

JORDAN PLAYS his new favorite trivia game, asking which current players could be nearly as successful in his era. "Our era," he says over and over again, calling modern players soft, coddled and ill-prepared for the highest level of the game. This is personal to him, since he'll be compared to this generation, and since he has to build a franchise with this generation's players.

"I'll give you a hint," he says. "I can only come up with four."

He lists them: LeBron, Kobe, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki. As he's making his point, Yvette walks into the living room area and, in a tone of voice familiar to every husband who argues sports with his buddies, asks, "You guys need anything?"

When someone on TV compares LeBron to Oscar Robertson, Jordan fumes. He rolls his eyes, stretches his neck, frustrated. "It's absolutely … " he says, catching himself. "The point is, no one is critiquing the personnel that he's playing against. Their knowledge of how to play the game … that's not a fair comparison. That's not right … Could LeBron be successful in our era? Yes. Would he be as successful? No."

The announcers gush about LeBron, mentioning him in the same sentence with Jordan, who hears every word. Those words have an effect on him. He stares at the TV and points out a flaw in LeBron's game.

"I study him," he says.

When LeBron goes right, he usually drives; when he goes left, he usually shoots a jumper. It has to do with his mechanics and how he loads the ball for release. "So if I have to guard him," Jordan says, "I'm gonna push him left so nine times out of 10, he's gonna shoot a jump shot. If he goes right, he's going to the hole and I can't stop him. So I ain't letting him go right."

For the rest of the game, when LeBron gets the ball and starts his move, Jordan will call out some variation of "drive" or "shoot." It's not just LeBron. He sees fouls the officials miss, and the replays prove him right. When someone shoots, he knows immediately whether it's going in. He calls out what guys are going to do before they do it, more plugged into the flow of the game than some of the players on the court. He's answering texts, buried in his phone, when the play-by-play guy announces a LeBron jump shot. Without looking up, Jordan says, "Left?"