2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
Paying a guy superstar dollars doesn't turn him into a superstar player.

There are plenty of other stars who have been, and who are on the block in the NBA. The Bulls will do nothing to attempt to get them. They are too worried about the luxury tax instead of titles.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
And why might they have done that? It doesn't register to you that paying $15 million a year for a guy playing like an $8 million a year player (Boozer) might cause the Bulls to low-ball a player?

Or they could have let Boozer go, and kept Asik.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
There are plenty of other stars who have been, and who are on the block in the NBA. The Bulls will do nothing to attempt to get them. They are too worried about the luxury tax instead of titles.

So at what point did this stop being about Josh Smith?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
So at what point did this stop being about Josh Smith?

It has never been about just Josh Smith. He is just the latest guy on the block. LIke I said way back at the beginning, the Bulls could have used this year to reform their team for the future when Rose will actually be Rose again. Instead they wasted the chance, and will be back shopping in the Nazi Mohamed aisle next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
It has never been about just Josh Smith. He is just the latest guy on the block. LIke I said way back at the beginning, the Bulls could have used this year to reform their team for the future when Rose will actually be Rose again. Instead they wasted the chance, and will be back shopping in the Nazi Mohamed aisle next year.

it sure seemed like it was about Josh Smith for you a page or two ago? I'm not sure that you're wrong on the 2nd half, but if you're saying that the Bulls should gamble $16 million+ a year on Josh Smith being the key piece, you're nuts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)
it sure seemed like it was about Josh Smith for you a page or two ago? I'm not sure that you're wrong on the 2nd half, but if you're saying that the Bulls should gamble $16 million+ a year on Josh Smith being the key piece, you're nuts.

For the third time, Josh Smith is what is out there today. The Bulls will ignore it, just like they have with every single other star player that has been available. Instead they will look for the Vlad Radmonvics of the world to fill time, and not win anything.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
They lost Asik because they tried low balling him. They are lucky that Taj didn't challenge them at the same game or he would be gone too.

They lost Asik for two reasons

1. The bulls normally do not negotiate with players in season, and prefer to go into the offseason.

-this bit them in the ass tremendously

2. The Bulls did not want to match Houston's offer and end up paying Asik 15 million in the third year.

-this is not lowballing, this was the result of point number 1 biting them in the ass.

It was a bad business plan, it really was, but they decided to let Asik see what he could get before they made an offer.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
They lost Asik for two reasons

1. The bulls normally do not negotiate with players in season, and prefer to go into the offseason.

-this bit them in the ass tremendously

2. The Bulls did not want to match Houston's offer and end up paying Asik 15 million in the third year.

-this is not lowballing, this was the result of point number 1 biting them in the ass.

It was a bad business plan, it really was, but they decided to let Asik see what he could get before they made an offer.

They could have gotten a contract done the previous season, knowing what big men go for in the NBA on the open market.

@Vincent_Ellis56

Mildly surprised when I just asked league guy most likely to be moved: Expected Smith, but he answered Carlos Boozer. #Bulls #Pistons

https://twitter.com/Vincent_Ellis56/status/...545673977061376

Guys a Pistons beat writer so he has some connections(I'd assume). The Bargani deal wouldn't be the worst but hopefully theirs something being worked out under the radar.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 07:32 AM)
Josh Smith is on the block. Should the Bulls have any interest?

This quote sure seems like it's about the terrible idea of acquiring Josh Smith, unless I was meant to do some serious reading between the lines. The second post you made on this discussion was about Josh Smith too.

Nevermind that it includes no suggestions about what to send in the deal, the financial ramifications of doing it, or the fact that the Bulls already have three fairly expensive big men on the roster and a glaring need for an upgrade at shooting guard. It's about the Bulls not "thinking creatively" in an attempt to improve their team.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
They could have gotten a contract done the previous season, knowing what big men go for in the NBA on the open market.

Right, that is the part that bit them in the ass, refusing to negotiate contracts under current contracts.

But hindsight is 20/20, because the previous offseason Asik was recovering from a broken leg and had a pretty mediocre first season despite his defensive prowess. It wasnt like the Bulls were going to offer him 5 mil per anyways.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 06:32 PM)
Still think this offense just runs smoother when Kirk is running the point

It absolutely does. All the hate on Hinrich, its no secret the Bulls went into the s***ter when Hinrich went out. Record with Hinrich starting significantly better then the record w/Nate starting.

Broussard reporting that Rose is ready (based upon a source who watched his full practice on Monday). Said he looked real good and at this point it is all mental.

It's tweets like that that make me think that all Derrick was trying to do was readjust expectations that his arrival might be more like april and was not "after the allstar break" like people had begun to assume.

Aggrey Sam ‏@CSNBullsInsider

Planned to relax with all the @drose stuff, but since it's clearly not going away anytime soon, I also heard good things about Monday's...

...practice, which included his 1st 5-on-5 scrimmage. I was told he looked dominant, best player on the court, etc. Unsurprising, really...

...but none of it matters until HE is ready to play. I hope people (fans and media) can understand that. Everybody has their own pace.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
I even read anything he writes and I get a headache, but his sources have been pretty good in the past.

The reporters and Rose himself have been lying to the general public. The media reported over and over that Rose cant dunk yet, but there is clear video of him dunking a ball over and over. We wont know anything for sure until he steps on the court.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
The reporters and Rose himself have been lying to the general public. The media reported over and over that Rose cant dunk yet, but there is clear video of him dunking a ball over and over. We wont know anything for sure until he steps on the court.

That was what I thought was so strange.

That was over two months ago.

Then it was reported he was a full-go, contact, 5 on 5 in practice weeks ago. I think they are just trying to lower expectations. That being said, tomorrow night is a tasty nationally televised TNT game against the Miami Heat.

I wonder who starts at PG?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
Why would you want to come back to play the toughest team in the league? No thanks.

Because you're from Chicago?

Because you can go.up.stairs?

Because what're you doin' Dragic?

Because WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

Because you're the Windy City Assassin?

There's a few reasons. ;)