Story about Dunn and his child

Mr. Showtime

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 07:53 AM)
This is the real world. A sick baby is way worse than a pulled hamstring.

And it's something that Dunn is powerless to help.

Yet, while I agree with SS2k5 on this, I had to laugh a bit.

The journey to 100,000 continues with his forgetting the multi-quote function.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this is actually the best strength that Ozzie Guillen had...

Interestingly, it's coming up now, when many felt he played Dunn and Rios on purpose to humiliate KW, and refused to play Viciedo over Pierre.

It always giving the players an "open door" and prioritizing family commitments or problems over winning baseball games. Of course, some fans get upset the players are paid so well and taking off games for this reason, but Ozzie stood his ground on this issue for the entirety of his managerial career.

It reminded me...someone was criticizing Brenly in a local sports bar for taking off a recent road trip to NYC...because "his salary is something like $1 million to do something he loves, so why should he get time off during the season when normal people have to work?"

So then you have the split argument. Dunn was selfish for not pulling himself from the line-up to deal with this...or Dunn has no right at the salary he's making to ask for concessions from his employer, as nobody else in "regular life" would be granted weeks/months of paid sick/vacation leave to take care of a child.

And maybe it would be a different story if he was a single father and didn't have parents or relatives around to look after his child 24/7.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 07:34 AM)
There is an excuse for everyone now in America.

It's not the solution to blame external causes.

For example, Jake Peavy in 2011 didn't say he sucked because he was still coming back from his surgery. He might have mentioned it a few times, but his barometer was always his performance level back in 2006-07-08, even if he had diminished velocity, he still held himself accountable for getting similar results.

So my question then is, what can we appropriately blame someone for?

Another example, even though a lot of my "B" class students are super rich, spoiled and lazy, their parents or school administrators won't take any responsibility when their IELTS scores are low. They'll blame the teachers for not motivating them, not pushing them hard enough, etc.

Maybe it's human nature. The GM blames the manager, the manager blames the players (or his coaches), it's a vicious cycle.

Same thing happens in schools. High school teachers always ask how the hell did middle school teachers ever pass the students on when they were so improperly prepared. Middle school teachers ask what the heck was going on in that elementary school? Elementary or K teachers blame the parents when the students have only mastered 2000-4000 vocabulary words by age 5 when many of the suburban kids are at the 20,000 mark.

It's like saying I'm going to blame Greg if the White Sox lose 2/3 to the Royals or get swept...because his bad "aura" or energy or "qi" will rub off on the Sox players from the stands, as he is projecting them to fail, so they will feel Greg's negative vibes from the OF bleachers and self-implode.

This would be an appropriate time for Ed Norton.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 07:55 AM)
And it's something that Dunn is powerless to help.

Yet, while I agree with SS2k5 on this, I had to laugh a bit.

The journey to 100,000 continues with his forgetting the multi-quote function.

Bah. I never really used it because it only came along with the last upgrade. I suppose I should.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 08:00 AM)
This would be an appropriate time for Ed Norton.

You never answered the question. Maybe it would be a better time for Bana or Ruffalo. Unless it's the American History X version, or Italian Job Norton.

When is possible to blame a coach/player/manager 100% for their actions without being able to make up an excuse to rationalize it?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
You never answered the question.

When is possible to blame a coach/player/manager 100% for their actions without being able to make up an excuse to rationalize it?

Im not answering your question because I am not about to get into a discussion about social responsibilities of fans and players with you, I see no need to talk about any murderer(s) in the same discussion as a baseball player getting booed for bad performance.

You want to make everything into a social experiment/discussion, I want no part of that.

I feel bad for Dunns kid, I cannot imagine what that is like. I have no doubt that it affected him last season, but that needed to be recognized and dealt with as opposed to continuing to throw him out there. Having him take time off and put him on a list similar to bereavement to deal with it probably would have been best for both parties.

I think the one thing we're overlooking here is that Dunn did not say his son's condition caused his abysmal season. Nor does the article say that. And I didn't read anywhere that the condition was recently diagnosed. It sounds more like there were many things that affected his performance, and this may have been just a small part of it.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
I think the one thing we're overlooking here is that Dunn did not say his son's condition caused his abysmal season. Nor does the article say that. And I didn't read anywhere that the condition was recently diagnosed. It sounds more like there were many things that affected his performance, and this may have been just a small part of it.

Amen.

Well, thankfully, he (Dunn) didn't have another 1st half like last season, or it really would have gotten quite ugly had a story like this been planted by the PR department.

All things considered, Alex Rios is a player that all of us could have done without, and he's been one of our MVP's so far. That's the one thing I never saw coming....an Alex Rios who was "too emotional" and hustled his butt off in the field and on the basepaths.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
Amen.

Well, thankfully, he (Dunn) didn't have another 1st half like last season, or it really would have gotten quite ugly had a story like this been planted by the PR department.

All things considered, Alex Rios is a player that all of us could have done without, and he's been one of our MVP's so far. That's the one thing I never saw coming....an Alex Rios who was "too emotional" and hustled his butt off in the field and on the basepaths.

And, although his son's condition may have had a small part in his 2011 performance, the fact that he's improved dramatically shows that it wasn't the major factor. His son still has epilepsy, and it's still a hard road for his family. It's not like he said, "To hell with my problems." He worked hard this off season, and that hard work is paying off.

I am not one to boo players, as I think it's silly, but to each their own.

However, before I feel too badly for Adam (in regards to getting boo'd on the field, not his son's condition), he makes $19,000,000.00 a year. He's in the big leagues. It comes with the territory.

Glad to see his son is doing a bit better.

Edit: Sorry, bad math. $14,000,000.00 a year.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
And, although his son's condition may have had a small part in his 2011 performance, the fact that he's improved dramatically shows that it wasn't the major factor. His son still has epilepsy, and it's still a hard road for his family. It's not like he said, "To hell with my problems." He worked hard this off season, and that hard work is paying off.

Or maybe it explains some of his slumps. It could be that when his son's condition worsens he becomes concerned for his health and he loses a little focus. Hitting a baseball is hard enough in perfect conditions. When you are worried about the health of a child and complete focus is near impossible it becomes really tough.

Many people are saying that in the real world people get fired for performing so poorly. These are usually the people at the bottom. There are many CEOs like Dunn that are paid more than him and have had many more years of poor performance lately that continue to get bonuses more than Dunn's salary.

Boo all you want to feel that you have some control or say with the team but don't discount the effect that a sick child can have on anyone's concentration at work.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
Or maybe it explains some of his slumps. It could be that when his son's condition worsens he becomes concerned for his health and he loses a little focus. Hitting a baseball is hard enough in perfect conditions. When you are worried about the health of a child and complete focus is near impossible it becomes really tough.

Many people are saying that in the real world people get fired for performing so poorly. These are usually the people at the bottom. There are many CEOs like Dunn that are paid more than him and have had many more years of poor performance lately that continue to get bonuses more than Dunn's salary.

Boo all you want to feel that you have some control or say with the team but don't discount the effect that a sick child can have on anyone's concentration at work.

Well said.

Baseball's unique in that "effort" is marginalized. Trying too hard can have detrimental effect. Hitters think too much, they press and it shows at the plate. Rios and Beckham are a good example. Rios was pressing too much last year. His swing lost fluidity, became mechanical and it robbed him of all power. He did a good job making contact, but couldn't drive the ball. That's a sign of trying too hard IMO.

Cue the Rios is a bum who doesn't care crowd.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)

Many people are saying that in the real world people get fired for performing so poorly. These are usually the people at the bottom. There are many CEOs like Dunn that are paid more than him and have had many more years of poor performance lately that continue to get bonuses more than Dunn's salary. Boo all you want to feel that you have some control or say with the team but don't discount the effect that a sick child can have on anyone's concentration at work.

Good point. 0.05% of the workforce is allowed to work as horribly as Dunn did and keep their high-paying jobs, so it's OK then.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
Good point. 0.05% of the workforce is allowed to work as horribly as Dunn did and keep their high-paying jobs, so it's OK then.

Comparing apples to apples makes more sense than comparing someone flipping burgers to someone playing MLB, no?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
Comparing apples to apples makes more sense than comparing someone flipping burgers to someone playing MLB, no?

Yeah, you just can't compare any other occupation with being a pro athlete. And, here's the important part, an MLB team is not going to "fire" a guy who is making $14 million/year. Especially when said guy had been one of the most consistent hitters up until that point.

I could go on comparing the differences, but what's the point? It's not even what we're talking about.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Yeah, you just can't compare any other occupation with being a pro athlete. And, here's the important part, an MLB team is not going to "fire" a guy who is making $14 million/year. Especially when said guy had been one of the most consistent hitters up until that point.

I could go on comparing the differences, but what's the point? It's not even what we're talking about.

The biggest difference is that he has a guaranteed contract. Almost everyone else in existence does not. CEOs are one of the few occupations out there who get large cash settlements upon their termination. That is why the comparison holds more water than, "If I did my job that badly"...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)

Agreed, as I said earlier:

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 07:01 AM)
The comparison to everyday jobs doesn't work because if you worked that horribly in a normal job, your ass would be in the unemployment line by mid-May. (unless you work for the government)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 07:34 AM)
Same thing happens in schools. High school teachers always ask how the hell did middle school teachers ever pass the students on when they were so improperly prepared. Middle school teachers ask what the heck was going on in that elementary school? Elementary or K teachers blame the parents when the students have only mastered 2000-4000 vocabulary words by age 5 when many of the suburban kids are at the 20,000 mark.

Off the main topic but I figured this out just this year.

A student can fail the majority of their classes, take 21 half-days of summer school reviewing reading, writing and math (even if those aren't the subjects the student struggled with) and the school considers them prepared for the next grade level.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)

Those are usually the one's getting government bailouts or union workers. It's the needle in the haystack people try to make into the norm.

BTW his son has epilepsy and people treat the story like he has cancer. With kids it becomes a trial and error medical treatment. Dad makes some good money so the kid probably has some good medical care. What makes it tough is dad doesn't come home after an 8 hour shift.

I had two friend in college with this condition. One was a room mate. I witnessed both of them having seizures. They're aren't usually in too much danger unless they operate a vehicle.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
Off the main topic but I figured this out just this year.

A student can fail the majority of their classes, take 21 half-days of summer school reviewing reading, writing and math (even if those aren't the subjects the student struggled with) and the school considers them prepared for the next grade level.

That's so they won't damage their self esteem. For high school kids that are labeled "at risk" is so they don't drop out.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
They're aren't usually in too much danger unless they operate a vehicle.

False. I was in a pool of my blood because it sliced my chin open.

Edit: For example, when I came to, my hand was red, my contacts had popped out from impact, and the ER thought my spine might be broken.

I wasn't driving. I was outside.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 07:36 AM)

A new league, a new position. That's how the Big Hurt summed it up. I think it's big difference being out in the field and you see the ball more which means you see it better instead of being on a bench all day waiting your turn.

When Luzinski signed with the Sox he had a TV so he could see the opposing pitcher in between episode of Victory at Sea.

I still think it's tougher to go from the NL to the AL as a hitter. Pujols hasn't been tearing up the AL.