Poll questions, Santos/Molina, next starter in

caulfield12

Was the Santos deal "classic" KW?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What's your feeling now?

• KW is sly like a fox, see 2001 Sirotka/Wells
    • KW got extremely lucky
    • KW could have gotten a better prospect/s from another team
    • KW and AA conspired together, knowing that bother pitchers were injured or risks
    • I hope TOR doctor isn't the same one who cleared Sirotka!!!
    • How could they extend him and then trade him and NOT know something was wrong?
    • Danks' injury is karma/payback for not keeping Buehrle and dealing an injured Santos
    • I like Greg/Ozzie/Applebee's/KU/Billy Butler
  2. 2. Assuming Floyd can't go THUR, who would you pick and why?

• Charlie Leesman
    • Simon Castro (3 IP SUN, would only have 3 day's rest)
    • Pedro Hernandez
    • Hector Santiago
    • Brian Bruney (if healthy)
    • Mystery candidate (Rienzo, for example)

13:$2.75M, 14:$3.75M, 15:$6M club option, 16:$8M club option, 17:$8.75M club option ($0.75M buyouts for each option)

Would you take Sergio Santos back today, if given the opportunity, knowing you'd owe him at least $7.25 million and that both Reed and Jones are PROBABLY better closing options in 2013 and beyond than Sergio will ever be again?

Over/under on K's for DeAza, Dunn and AJP against LHP this series?

I'm happy to have casted 6 votes, none of which were for Greg :D

I feel like KW did Sergio a solid by getting him all that guaranteed money before this possibly career ending event...by the time he returns he may float around on vet's minimum deals

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:34 AM)
What is the stent of Santos shoulder?

I haven't heard.

Extent? Stent is for heart problems?

Out with season-ending labrum surgery, expected back sometime in 2013.

You'd think they would want to choose a lefty against BOS.

They have Crawford back, Gonzalez having a power outtage but Middlebrooks just came back after the break...along with Ellsbury. Saltalamacchia is on a pace for 32 homers. Aviles is always tough on the White Sox, going back to his Royals' days.

Edited by caulfield12

I voted "KW and AA conspired together, knowing that bother pitchers were injured or risks", although I didn't like the wording as a "conspiracy". However, I did think KW traded Santos knowing something might be up with him, and likewise, AA dealt Molina thinking 2011 was not repeatable and his value was much inflated.

I think they both thought they pulled a fast one on the other one.

For the second question, I voted Santiago. I prefer to see him start than come out of the pen.

1) I feel like we could have gotten more for Sergio.

2) Really, I would have loved to have packaged him, Danks, and D2 to some team like the Red Sox for a ransom. Resigning Buehrle in the process.

3) I miss Sergio. I got to talk to him just before his first game and he was shocked any fan knew his name.

As for starter...

1) Santiago if he's ready. I like him as a starter.

2) If not, Castro.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:16 AM)
Santos' initial shoulder diagnosis and progression is eerily similar to Danks'.

I hope it's not a labrum - from what I understand, it's a b**** to come back from.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:24 AM)
1) I feel like we could have gotten more for Sergio.

2) Really, I would have loved to have packaged him, Danks, and D2 to some team like the Red Sox for a ransom. Resigning Buehrle in the process.

3) I miss Sergio. I got to talk to him just before his first game and he was shocked any fan knew his name.

As for starter...

1) Santiago if he's ready. I like him as a starter.

2) If not, Castro.

Ha could you imagine if the sox sent those three to Boston? There would be a hit put out on Kenny for sending two pitchers with bum shoulders.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 06:57 AM)
What's wrong with Floyd?

Forearm or elbow tendonitis, apparently related to his last start before the ASB Sunday against the Yankees.

MRI negative, but he's being held back as a precautionary measure (possibly could start Thursday, but doubtful at this point) and is back in Chicago for further tests.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)
Ha could you imagine if the sox sent those three to Boston? There would be a hit put out on Kenny for sending two pitchers with bum shoulders.

And in this alternate reality, still acquiring Youkilis.

So there'd be an ESPN special about how terrible Kenny is by being so mean to Boston.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
Forearm or elbow tendonitis, apparently related to his last start before the ASB Sunday against the Yankees.

MRI negative, but he's being held back as a precautionary measure (possibly could start Thursday, but doubtful at this point) and is back in Chicago for further tests.

Rick Sutcliffe used to say tendonitis is what they say you have when they don't know what's wrong with you.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 11:45 AM)
Mark Gonzalez was on with Mcneil/Spiegel and speculated that either Hernandez or Leesman would get the start in Boston on Wednesday night.

Y U NO Castro?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
Y U NO Castro?

DET is 13-14 against LHP, but not a discrepancy like the Indians have (10-17).

1) Castro would only be on 3 day's rest

2) They might not want him to make his debut in such a hostile environment

3) Want to keep him down in the majors to keep his value higher for a possible trade

4) They don't think Simon's 100% ready and might be more willing to "sacrifice" Leesman or Hernandez, who are already slated to end up as pen arms

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
Y U NO Castro?

If he did not just come off the disabled lost he would have gotten the call I guess. Gonzo also speculated that they wanted to throw one of the lefties against Boston. Leesman throws harder right? I'd actually like to see what we have in Pedro Hernandez though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
1) Castro would only be on 3 day's rest

2) They might not want him to make his debut in such a hostile environment

3) Want to keep him down in the majors to keep his value higher for a possible trade

4) They don't think Simon's 100% ready and might be more willing to "sacrifice" Leesman or Hernandez, who are already slated to end up as pen arms

All good reasons, though #3 could go either way, depending on success in a first start. Regardless, I don't think he'll be traded, as he's likely our best bet for cheap SP production next year and beyond. I think we'll part with a Rienzo type, more likely.

Never a dull moment with KW, good and bad, so we're going to do something. Often, but not always, he does more dealing than most of us are expecting.

Left-hander Pedro Hernandez, who is 7-2 with a 2.90 ERA at Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte, is in line to be promoted to start Wednesday.

Left-hander Jose Quintana will stay in his normal spot and pitch Thursday's series finale, with Jake Peavy and Chris Sale opening the Tigers series against Justin Verlander and Rick Porcello.

The Sox are undecided about Sunday's starter, while the Tigers will start Jacob Turner if left-hander Drew Smyly doesn't come off the DL.

'Giddy' Danks: John Danks expressed elation over throwing 90 feet for the first time since July 3.

"I'm giddy right now, and it's still sore," said Danks, who hasn't pitched since June 12 in a minor league rehabilitation start because of a left shoulder strain. "Just to go out there and throw and feel like we are making progress again, it's definitely huge.

"I needed something positive to happen. It was getting kind of tough there for a little bit. I don't know how much longer we have, but for sure we are moving in the right direction."

Mark Gonzales/www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Looks like it's Hernandez/Quintana on WED and THUR

Edited by caulfield12