Sox trade for Brett Myers

flavum

QUOTE (Wagz @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
It helps alot of our pitching needs and if Houston sends us cash we will be in great shape. Brett messed up one time and thats all you know. His wife did not even have brusing and Brett is no little guy. I want to say that he messed up and we should forgive him because it was 6 years ago and not reoccuring. We dont know if he has done it again or in the past. Maybe he has anger issues and has solved them considering we have not heard of another incident like this. I'd like to see if he went to therapy or something after the incident with his wife.

The police found her crying with a swollen cheek. The guy hit his wife in public. You may want to believe it was the only time he's ever abused a woman, but the odds are heavily against it. I know players are not all saints and probably most are total assholes, but guys who hit women are cowards and aren't going to be getting any respect from me. Ever. I'm just fascinated at all the posters who will defend him now that he's a White Sox.

During his career, he's been beat up worse than he beat his wife by AL teams 5.64 ERA, near .900 OPS against. Great move KW.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And lots of abusers know how to hit women and WHERE to hit them so as not to leave visible marks or scars. In the end, it's a private matter...it could have been a one-time thing, but 90%+ of the time with DV, it isn't.

I'm not saying he's evil....just that saying "well, she didn't have a black eye for two weeks" doesn't make it any more acceptable. She clearly had SOME swelling. Someone that size hitting a woman isn't going to leave her without any physical evidence of contact.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
The police found her crying with a swollen cheek. The guy hit his wife in public. You may want to believe it was the only time he's ever abused a woman, but the odds are heavily against it. I know players are not all saints and probably most are total assholes, but guys who hit women are cowards and aren't going to be getting any respect from me. Ever. I'm just fascinated at all the posters who will defend him now that he's a White Sox.

so if your at the game or watching on tv and brett is in to save the game, what are you going to do? youre not going to want him to get the job done?

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)
I probaly agree with Myers. I'm sure the reporter was no saint and was trying to get under his skin for a reaction.

I heard that interview shortly after it happened, probably on the Jim Rome show. The reporter did not do anything unusually aggressive, he just brought up the comment Myers made about pop-ups. Then he gets called a retard and admonished because he was filling in for somebody. It sounded to be like the reporter felt seriously threatened. After all, he is there to ask questions. Jocks get asked stupid questions all the time. Myers was a jerk that day, no question about it. 50 years ago a guy could get away with that attitude. Now it's not so easy. I wonder if Kenny checked his criminal record. Do GM's do that?

Edited by oldsox

I put Myers in the Manny Ramirez category. I'll root for the logo, but I don't like him and I would have rather they didn't trade for a guy like that.

And if they interview him, I won't watch or listen to anything he says. That's how I'll handle his time here.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
so if your at the game or watching on tv and brett is in to save the game, what are you going to do? youre not going to want him to get the job done?

I want the Sox to win. I certainly won't be praising him if he gets the job done.

I've heard all the reports and I don't know what to believe. Nobody was ever convicted is all I know. I'll let the man play baseball and I assume KW asked around the clubhouse to see what kind of teammate he is.

Did the White Sox release how much money they got with Myers or is that going to be based off of the PTBNL? Also is San Diego on the hook for Hudson's option and buyout in 2013?

Just was putting together a year by year payroll from 2012 to 2016 and it looks like they'll have to eat $7 million in buyouts from guys like Youkilis and Peavy. If they exercised both of their options, gave the young players a raise and made no other moves the payroll would be close to $120 million. Seems like this is the year for the team to do this since it's tougher to see Peavy than Youkilis coming back next year at a reduced salary.

Edited by MuckFinnesota

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
I've heard all the reports and I don't know what to believe. Nobody was ever convicted is all I know. I'll let the man play baseball and I assume KW asked around the clubhouse to see what kind of teammate he is.

OJ wasn't convicted of murder either. The Meyers case went exactly as most domestic abuse cases go. There is no excuse to hit your wife.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)

During his career, he's been beat up worse than he beat his wife by AL teams 5.64 ERA, near .900 OPS against. Great move KW.

Im not defending him I am just saying odds aside it happened one time that we are told. They both said they were both wasted and I know it is no excuse but it happend... when he was 25 that is 6 years ago. If she can forgive him I think we can be fine with him pitching in the pen which needs help. I agree noone should ever hit a woman. To all those people who said if you got your penis superglued to your stomach well thats your own fault for being with a crazy chick that would do that to you. Personally I wont boo him for pitching i just wont be going out to the bar after sox games with women looking to see Brett. :gosoxretro: Root for the black and white not the blue and purple.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
I just hope with this move KW is finished using precious resources for pitching and now concentrates on getting some position players that can hit.

It may be one of those guys he always wanted like Tori Hunter.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
Thdre were only many witnesses that saw him beat the s*** out of her on the street.

Give him a bat. Instead of hitting his wife he can hit a baseball. They need some of that right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)
OJ wasn't convicted of murder either. The Meyers case went exactly as most domestic abuse cases go. There is no excuse to hit your wife.

I've had police try to convince my girlfriend that I hit her for no particular reason before so the "she was swollen at the time but didn't bruise" thing didn't fly with me.

The description they gave of both being too drunk makes me wonder if it is as clean-cut as people would like it to see. I've seen a woman drunkenly batter a man physically and verbally and to think he won't retaliate in kind when super drunk is not as unreasonable as simple "wife-beater."

But then again, both of us are speculating, aren't we? You're just eager to to pass judgment when the guy probably just got too rough while drunkenly arguing with his girl. He almost certainly made a bad mistake, but I can't be sure that it's as bad or simple as described and I don't think it is fair to convict the non-convicted in this case.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
This is a pretty savvy move. Seems like there isn't enough info for us to pass judgement on the wife incident, I'll trust KW to have done his homework.

Sure, maybe she fell down. On her face like most of the unprosecuted domestics.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 06:24 PM)
I've had police try to convince my girlfriend that I hit her for no particular reason before so the "she was swollen at the time but didn't bruise" thing didn't fly with me.

The description they gave of both being too drunk makes me wonder if it is as clean-cut as people would like it to see. I've seen a woman drunkenly batter a man physically and verbally and to think he won't retaliate in kind when super drunk is not as unreasonable as simple "wife-beater."

But then again, both of us are speculating, aren't we? You're just eager to to pass judgment when the guy probably just got too rough while drunkenly arguing with his girl. He almost certainly made a bad mistake, but I can't be sure that it's as bad or simple as described and I don't think it is fair to convict the non-convicted in this case.

I was called into a house which looked like wwiii happened. Wife bleeding, jaw broken eye swollen shut. The hubby is drunk and has scratch marks. She told me that nothing happened either. Guess what. I didn't believe them. He went to jail.

Edited by southsideirish71

This

I guess because he is now a White Sox you want to ignore the witnesses. There was more than one, and it wasn't like they were trying to take a professional athlete down, they had no idea who he was.

If people now want to look the other way with this idiot because he's now on your favorite team, I suggest you quit watching sports for a while. Its affecting your judgement.

And one question, if this was just an isolated incident where really nothing happened, why have they been going to counseling for years over domestic violence?

Guys that hit women are losers. Brett Myers is a loser.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
I was called into a house which looked like wwiii happened. Wife bleeding, jaw broken eye swollen shut. The hubby is drunk and has scratch marks. She told me that nothing happened either. Guess what. I didn't believe them. He went to jail.

That is a bastard and he deserved to go to jail.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
I guess because he is now a White Sox you want to ignore the witnesses. There was more than one, and it wasn't like they were trying to take a professional athlete down, they had no idea who he was.

If people now want to look the other way with this idiot because he's now on your favorite team, I suggest you quit watching sports for a while. Its affecting your judgement.

And one question, if this was just an isolated incident where really nothing happened, why have they been going to counseling for years over domestic violence?

Guys that hit women are losers. Brett Myers is a loser.

I'm not about to get a beer with the guy, but the facts are very blurry in that particular situation and it is not clear to me that he is simply a "wife beater." Until someone can make that more obvious I'm going to assume that he's a f***ed up guy that is trying to get better. He made it sound in his statement like they both may have had a drinking problem.

I hope a reporter asks him and/or KW about it because I'm interested in what is said. Chicago fans are right to be skeptical

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 06:52 PM)
I'm not about to get a beer with the guy, but the facts are very blurry in that particular situation and it is not clear to me that he is simply a "wife beater." Until someone can make that more obvious I'm going to assume that he's a f***ed up guy that is trying to get better. He made it sound in his statement like they both may have had a drinking problem.

I hope a reporter asks him and/or KW about it because I'm interested in what is said. Chicago fans are right to be skeptical

Read this. Boston Globe. She was quoted as saying he hit her twice. A witness reported her saying, 'I'm not going to let you do this to me anymore". The man is scum.

Phillies pitcher Brett Myers arraigned for allegedly beating his wife

June 23, 06 01:17 PM

By Suzanne Smalley

Globe Staff

Brett Myers, a pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies, was arraigned this morning after being arrested shortly after midnight for allegedly beating his wife in front of several witnesses on Boylston Street, authorities said.

Myers, 25, was released by a judge this morning after pleading not guilty to assault and battery charges in Boston Municipal Court, according to David Procopio, a spokesman for Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley.

The pitcher and his wife, Kim Myers, 28, were walking back to their hotel from a bar when a dispute broke out 900 Boylston St, according to Procopio and a police report. Police responded at 12:26 a.m. to a 911 call reporting a domestic assault, Procopio said.

Myers' wife told police she believed her husband hit her twice in the face with a closed fist. Witnesses told police Myers dragged his wife by the hair and slapped her across the face. Procopio said it is unclear if Myers punched his wife or slapped her, but he did strike her in the face.

Courtney Knight, 26, who witnessed the alleged attack, said in an interview today that Myers was out of control.

"It was disgusting," Knight said. "He was dragging her by the hair and slapping her across the face. She was yelling, 'I'm not going to let you do this to me anymore.' "

Knight said the 6-foot-4 ballplayer dwarfs his wife, who the police report said was 5 foot 4 and 120 pounds.

"She's a real small girl," Knight said. "It was awful."

Myers allegedly told Knight and her friends to leave and resisted when they tried to pull him off of his wife, prompting Knight to call police.

She said Myers was undeterred by the presence of her and her two friends.

"He had her on the ground. He was trying to get her to go, and she was resisting," Knight said. "She curled up and sat on the ground. He was pulling her, her shirt up was around her neck....He could have cared less that we were there."

The player was arguing with his wife because he wanted to return to their hotel and she did not, a woman who was with Myers and his wife told police.

Myers is slated to pitch against Curt Schilling at Fenway Park tomorrow.

The police report says that officers found Kim Myers crying and with swelling on the left side of her face. The victim bailed her husband out, posting $200 in bail at the South End police station early this morning, Procopio said.

According to a Major League Baseball website, Myers married his wife in 2002 and they have a 3-year-old daughter.