Sox trade for Brett Myers

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)

Man...

At first I was questioning if he really punched his wife in the face. I mean the dude is 6'4" and 240 and his wife supposedly had no marks on her face. You'd figure she'd look battered. I was thinking maybe the incident was overblown.

But come on... threatening a reporter like that AFTER the wife beating incident? Definitely not smart and quite douchey.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
If the wife, the actual victim in this situation, has forgiven him then I don't see any reason why a 3rd party like the people on this forum can't do so too.

Assuming the guy is a terrible human being who beats his wife on a habitual basis seems like conjecture to me.

I can think of 41 million reasons (career earnings) why he was forgiven.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
Boy, you really went out on a limb with that one.

Ill put to odds of Walters, Heidenrich, and a PTBNL to ever contribute to a major league ball club at about 30-1. Care to take action any action on that? If Brett Myers manages to throw 1ip without giving up a run, its already a win.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
Dayan Viciedo is safe... for now.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

Team source confirms nobody off #WhiteSox MLB roster in deal for Brett Myers. Per last retweet, Blair Walters, 11th rounder in 2011 included

The PTBNL probably means it's someone from last year's draft right? Those guys cannot be traded until a year after signing. Erik Johnson after today's promotion or is that way too much?

Dan Hayes on CSNChi reports Myers will cost the Sox roughly 1million this year, with HOU sending more cash to either his buyout or salary next year. I'd think that would determine PTBNL,among other things?

Edited by northside sawx

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
Dan Hayes on CSNChi reports Meters will cost the Sox roughly 1million this year, with HOU sending more cash to either his buyout or salary next year. I'd think that would determine PTBNL,among other things?

I like this move. Gives our bullpen some veteran swag.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
If the wife, the actual victim in this situation, has forgiven him then I don't see any reason why a 3rd party like the people on this forum can't do so too.

Assuming the guy is a terrible human being who beats his wife on a habitual basis seems like conjecture to me.

It's not uncommon for abuse victims to blame themselves and make excuses for the abuser. It's not like a woman staying in an abusive relationship is some incredibly rare thing.

Hope he pitches well since he's here.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
Well, I'm 100% sure KW talked to Gavin about him.

■11:$7M, 12:$11M, 13:$10M club option ($3M buyout)

A commitment of $6.5-7 million dollars, with that buyout. One would think we didn't give up much at all to clear that buyout from their payroll obligations.

So we have buyouts now for Peavy, Youkilis, Thornton and Myers now.

That's like $6-$8 million in buyouts. Makes me wonder if they'll keep Youkilis and Peavy after declining both options.

It's great that they got a veteran reliever, but I anticipate plenty of boos when he gets to the Cell.

Edited by MuckFinnesota

The Sox sure need bullpen help and I think Myers can help. I don't care that he may have made a stupid mistake in his personal life what (?) 6 years ago. He may not be Mr. Nice Guy but I don't really care too much. I just want him to pitch well. I hope he does well and unless he pitches like Billy Koch I wouldn't boo him. Considering what the Sox apparently have given up, this is a great move.

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
Punching your wife now equals serial enabling child molestation???

Come on, man.

I've made several huge mistakes in my life too. And I can honestly say with out second chances I would not be posting this right now.

Beating women is as disgusting as it gets. Using the wife forgives him is silly battered wives almost always take the blame and anyone giving j4l crap about saying its most likely happened more than once, obviously has never read or watched anything on the subject. I am willing to cheer for a lot of flawed people, but wife beaters aren't among them.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
This is a pretty savvy move. Seems like there isn't enough info for us to pass judgement on the wife incident, I'll trust KW to have done his homework.

Thdre were only many witnesses that saw him beat the s*** out of her on the street.

We add another veteran player.

How can a team with so many established players (Peavy, Youk, Paulie, AJ, Rios, Dunn, Thornton, Floyd, now Meyers, et. all, have so much trouble staying a meaningful number of games north of .500?

Year after year our name players fail to do squat as a team.

It helps alot of our pitching needs and if Houston sends us cash we will be in great shape. Brett messed up one time and thats all you know. His wife did not even have brusing and Brett is no little guy. I want to say that he messed up and we should forgive him because it was 6 years ago and not reoccuring. We dont know if he has done it again or in the past. Maybe he has anger issues and has solved them considering we have not heard of another incident like this. I'd like to see if he went to therapy or something after the incident with his wife.