White Sox Rumor Catch-All

Chisoxfn

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
Laurence Holmes ‏@LaurenceWHolmes

I have no specifics, but I'm told #Whitesox are "a little busy" trying to get some stuff done before trade deadline. don't be surprised.

That's downright A+ reporting Laurence.

I have no specifics, but I'm told #Whitesox are "a little busy" trying to get some stuff done before trade deadline. don't be surprised.

What kind of stuff? Laudry? Dishes? Grocery shopping?

A few weeks ago, Laurence told a long, emotional story on the air, with lots of poignant voice inflection. But at story's end it ended up just being an account of him going into Piece and ordering a pizza to go

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Point of procedure: Under new CBA, no longer is there a required 24-hour waiting period for 10-and-5 players to approve a trade. MORE

So, deals with 10-and-5 players can go right to deadline, as long as they give consent. Applies to #Cubs' Dempster, #RedSox's Beckett, etc.

Awesome! According to his "sources", they may do something on deadline day, and are talking.

Lawrence Holmes is one of these guys who likes to let his listeners know that he's got sources that keep him piped in (he does this with the Bears a lot). It's hilarious when the Sam Hurd story broke last winter, and Bernstein had a source in the Dallas area, Holmes had a source at Chicago Police Department, and he was saying that he was getting information live on the air, but, I thought they was either intentionally or not, just trying to out-source each other, and the funny thing is, neither probably had any source outside of Twitter.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
A few weeks ago, Laurence told a long, emotional story on the air, with lots of poignant voice inflection. But at story's end it ended up just being an account of him going into Piece and ordering a pizza to go

But you can bet that Laurence got it up on Twitter, then talked about his Twitter, then Tweeted about talking about Twitter.

I love radio guys talking about Twitter. It's fascinating.

Edited by Friend of Nordhagen

i know his name has come up as joke on here.. but wouldnt joe blanton be a solid and somewhat cheap addition for another starting pitcher (due to injury / dead arm concerns of sale and gavin, as well as Q's workload).

Joe Blanton - S - Phillies CBS Sports' Danny Knobler reports that the Orioles have talked to the Phillies about Joe Blanton.

Blanton has made it through six innings in each of his last 10 starts and owns a cool 115/18 K/BB ratio through 133 1/3 overall frames this season. He'd be a nice fit for the Orioles, who have struggled to get consistent starting pitching. Blanton is currently scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the World Series. Related: OriolesSource: CBS Sports Jul 30 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
i know his name has come up as joke on here.. but wouldnt joe blanton be a solid and somewhat cheap addition for another starting pitcher (due to injury / dead arm concerns of sale and gavin, as well as Q's workload).

Joe Blanton - S - Phillies CBS Sports' Danny Knobler reports that the Orioles have talked to the Phillies about Joe Blanton.

Blanton has made it through six innings in each of his last 10 starts and owns a cool 115/18 K/BB ratio through 133 1/3 overall frames this season. He'd be a nice fit for the Orioles, who have struggled to get consistent starting pitching. Blanton is currently scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the World Series. Related: OriolesSource: CBS Sports Jul 30 - 11:23 AM

Blanton is not an upgrade over Gavin Floyd and some of our other starters. As a result, I'm not about to trade for him. I say that because I don't think his stuff translates that well in the AL. Personally, I'd love to upgrade in the middle infield (in a major impact move). But I don't know anyone out there who really fits the bill and/or would be a good get.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
But you can bet that Laurence got it up on Twitter, then talked about his Twitter, then Tweeted about talking about Twitter.

I love radio guys talking about Twitter. It's fascinating.

Twitter really inflates the ego on some of these guys, and it's also has shown how sensitive some of these hosts are to any questioning/criticism of them.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)

I think he may be slightly better than Humber, but right now the White Sox have 5 solid starters, and Humber in reserve (or as a 6th man) so I really don't see them doing much more in the starting rotation unless they surprise us with an upgrade over what they have.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Blanton is not an upgrade over Gavin Floyd and some of our other starters. As a result, I'm not about to trade for him. I say that because I don't think his stuff translates that well in the AL. Personally, I'd love to upgrade in the middle infield (in a major impact move). But I don't know anyone out there who really fits the bill and/or would be a good get.

Blanton would also come full circle with KW if acquired. He is the guy that Beane openly mocks KW for not drafting in Moneyball.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
I think he may be slightly better than Humber, but right now the White Sox have 5 solid starters, and Humber in reserve (or as a 6th man) so I really don't see them doing much more in the starting rotation unless they surprise us with an upgrade over what they have.

No, they do not have 5 solid starters. I'm not sure if they have 2 - 3 currently. Quintana the last couple of starts, Sale both have dead arms, who knows if they can pitch worth a s*** the rest of the way. Peavy hasn't pitched a full season in years, he too is very likely to have a dead arm before long. Humber, Floyd, who knows what they're going to provide.

I said it in another thread, but the safest bet of bunch right now may be Lariano, and who really knows with him too. The Sox most definitely do not have 5 dependable starters right now and I fear that this could be their undoing this season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
That's downright A+ reporting Laurence.

Ha. I like Holmes as a radio host. He does really good solo and with a partner. Makes The Score listenable. But that is the most vague Twitter post anyone could write. If the Sox make a move, he had the "scoop." If they don't, then they worked the phones, but couldn't bring in another piece. Might as well say, "Sox may make another move, or may not."

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 07:16 AM)
No, they do not have 5 solid starters. I'm not sure if they have 2 - 3 currently. Quintana the last couple of starts, Sale both have dead arms, who knows if they can pitch worth a s*** the rest of the way. Peavy hasn't pitched a full season in years, he too is very likely to have a dead arm before long. Humber, Floyd, who knows what they're going to provide.

I said it in another thread, but the safest bet of bunch right now may be Lariano, and who really knows with him too. The Sox most definitely do not have 5 dependable starters right now and I fear that this could be their undoing this season.

I agree, with everything. I really hope KW adds another few players in the fold. Mitch Williams even said it on CTL last night, KW has done some good thinks. But if he were the GM he said he would no doubt add another starter, and an ace at that

Well, from where they're at right now, they've got a very good shot at the playoffs.

And the cost for that "ace" is going to be prohibitive.

What starters on the market out there would you pick to start a one game sudden death playoff over a healthy Chris Sale? Just a couple.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
I agree, with everything. I really hope KW adds another few players in the fold. Mitch Williams even said it on CTL last night, KW has done some good thinks. But if he were the GM he said he would no doubt add another starter, and an ace at that

KW doesn't have the talent to trade for an ace, and he probably doesn't have the room to take on an "ace" salary commitment.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 07:20 AM)
Well, from where they're at right now, they've got a very good shot at the playoffs.

And the cost for that "ace" is going to be prohibitive.

What starters on the market out there would you pick to start a one game sudden death playoff over a healthy Chris Sale? Just a couple.

Healthy is the key. No one if Sale is healthy, but what are the odds that Chris Sale is healthy, with a live arm come October? Therein lies the rub.

This has shades of the 2000 season all over it. The starters are good enough to get you there, but dead tired and "shot" when it arrives.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
Healthy is the key. No one if Sale is healthy, but what are the odds that Chris Sale is healthy, with a live arm come October? Therein lies the rub.

This has shades of the 2000 season all over it. The starters are good enough to get you there, but dead tired and "shot" when it arrives.

Then honestly, let's be satisfied with getting there. Seriously, if Sale is dead tired by the time the playoffs come around, we're not going to find a guy who can replace him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 07:20 AM)
KW doesn't have the talent to trade for an ace, and he probably doesn't have the room to take on an "ace" salary commitment.

If the offense stays fairly good I don't think that you need an "Ace". If K.W. could find someone who can keep the team in the game for 6 - 7 innings every 5th day, that may be all you need to get to the playoffs. Then you hope that 2 - 3 of the starters are good enough, with live arms to take it from there.

I would hope that we find someone, who I don't know, that could help out in August. I have a feeling that Santiago may help out a lot in September if he can be stretched out by then. Other than that I think that right now you have to hope that Peavy can last a while longer and that Humber and Floyd can at least give you a chance every time out.