Coop: Sox going back to five man rotation

Wedge

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Humber is under the impression that he doesn't have to be good anymore after throwing a perfect game.

Nah, thats not fair. I think the poor guy is struggling, this whole season must be one hell of a psychological mindf*** for him. He's a nice guy and I wish him only the best, but its just not working out for us with him as a starter...

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
Nah, thats not fair. I think the poor guy is struggling, this whole season must be one hell of a psychological mindf*** for him. He's a nice guy and I wish him only the best, but its just not working out for us with him as a starter...

I was being facetious. But yeah... it's been all downhill since then.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 03:07 AM)
Yeah I don't know about this. I understand Humber is awful, but Sale & Peavy need to be pitching effectively down the stretch and I think extra rest will allow that to happen...

Cmon, this isn't equal opportunity everybody gets a trophy Little League. We're trying to uh, make the playoffs and not have to play in that stupid ass one-game wild card game. Six starters is too many, especially when one of them is named Humber. THANK GOD common sense has prevailed and we get five starters, not six. It's put up or shut up time and we need Peavy and Sale to come through, not sit on the bench getting extra rest.

Edited by greg775

The reason this is happening is because the bullpen is short and this series proved it. Jones is not a long man and cannot pitch everyday. Humber should be lucky he still has a job. He's the long man now and I am, which he should be, and he can spot start if they need him to. This is the best thing for this team right now.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
Yeah I don't know about this. I understand Humber is awful, but Sale & Peavy need to be pitching effectively down the stretch and I think extra rest will allow that to happen...

There's 45 games left. We can't afford to piss away 7 of them with a Humber start. Downside is that there's only 3 off days in those final 45 games.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
What happened to Dylan Axelrod? He wasn't THAT bad...

Would you DFA Humber in order to let him pitch? Axelrod had a nice few starts, and a few meh starts, but I really dont think the guy has what it takes to be a part of this rotation. He is a nibbler, works a lot with smoke and mirrors, those guys tend to get flushed out once the scouting report catches up to the league. I am done with Humber and I hope that i dont have to see him start anytime soon(which means Floyd needs to get his head out of his ass), but if my choice is between Humber and Axelrod, I am choosing Humber every day and twice on Sunday.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
There's 45 games left. We can't afford to piss away 7 of them with a Humber start. Downside is that there's only 3 off days in those final 45 games.

Totally agree. Maybe if the AL Central/Wild Card picture clears up toward the end, give him a start or two to take some load off the other 5. It's not worth it throwing Humber out there when we are only two games from being out of the playoffs right now.

Edited by IowanSoxFan

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 09:57 PM)
Humber's biggest problem has been consistency.

I think going to the pen will be good for him.

Consistency? He's been one of the worst starters in baseball. ERA well over 7 since the perfect game. Guys like Gavin Floyd and Matt Garza are inconsistent. Then you have Humber. Good move by the Sox. There's a division title to be had and we can't afford auto-losses right now.