Beckham having a rough second half

shago

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it is meaningul, but... in the past week or two, I've noticed Gordon doing something he was NEVER doing since his rookie year - putting above average velocity fastballs into good play. Also, he is gapping to R and RC better now. Might be nothing, but, might be an indicator he is putting it back together. We'll see.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
Yeah. It's not easy giving up on someone everyone here thought was going to be one of our next great ballplayers.

I never bought into the belief that he was going to be a superstar. I had him pegged for a good ballplayer, and I predicted he would wind up at 2B and be akin to a 2005 version of Tadahito Iguchi. I caught some flak for that because most people thought I was underestimating his potential. Now I bet most would be ecstatic if he played like Tadahito did in '05.

I still say the Sox should keep him around as the primary backup infielder next year. He can play three infield positions and he may get a chance to play himself back into a starting role at some point. But he would be an excellent and valuable utility guy, head and shoulders above anyone the Sox have had in that role for a long time.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
Alexei Ramirez with RISP: .350 AVG, .846 OPS

2 outs, RISP: .318/.788

WAR: 1.1 bWAR, .7 fWAR

The thing that sticks out to me in Alexei's numbers is that his walk rate is way down. I don't have a good explanation for this other than perhaps the lack of power has pitchers unafraid to go right at him. I would say it could be related to his somewhat diminished role given the breaking out of Dunn, Rios, AJP, Youk, ADA...but it isn't like Alexei was ever a truly featured hitter. It could easily be the opposite of what I think, that a poor eye is preventing the power from coming out rather than vice versa.

I would say that's the same problem Beckham has. His batting average with 2 strikes is putrid and seems like he's always got 2 strikes on him. He looks like Morel with the stuff he 's been swinging at . Maybe in college he was a "see the ball hit the ball" hitter because of talent. At the ML level you get ungodly breaking pitches so you have to be smart as a hitter, not confidence as much as knowing pitchers, knowing what they throw on certain counts . If you're a smart hitter you look zone instead of type of pitch, you have to know they rather get you out on crap pitches than something in the zone when you're behind in the count.

Talent alone hasn't been the answer so he better start using his head.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
I don't know if it is meaningul, but... in the past week or two, I've noticed Gordon doing something he was NEVER doing since his rookie year - putting above average velocity fastballs into good play. Also, he is gapping to R and RC better now. Might be nothing, but, might be an indicator he is putting it back together. We'll see.

Oppo HR tonight was 94mph and up. Helluva job turning that around...good sign.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 12:54 AM)
It seems when people create threads like this (good or bad) the opposite always happens. Lets hope this happens with Beckham.

Other than the one homer in Toronto, Rios has been in a major slump for the past 8 games. Someone needs to start a "Rios having a rough mid-August" thread.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
Everytime I bump that Dunn thread he goes on a tear.

o

Jose Lopez a second baseman with some mlb experience is hitting a ton down in Hitting 430 something since 8/14 taking walks while 4 out of his 10 hits have been for extra bases including a home run. Not sure about his fielding but I think he's a few days away from another mlb call up.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
o

Jose Lopez a second baseman with some mlb experience is hitting a ton down in Hitting 430 something since 8/14 taking walks while 4 out of his 10 hits have been for extra bases including a home run. Not sure about his fielding but I think he's a few days away from another mlb call up.

Sox would have to free up a 40 man roster spot for him.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=18077

Beckham played in 103 games at the major league level in 2009, hitting a respectable .270/.347/.460, making a persuasive argument that this was just the start of a very fruitful career. After watching Beckham in camp early in 2009, and catching numerous games throughout the season, I was believer in the bat, and I thought he had a chance to be a ~.280 hitter with 25+ doubles a year for the next 10 years. He looked like a lock.

The story turned sour after his fantasy tale in 2009, and Beckham has fallen flat in each subsequent season. His bat is a wounded animal, slowly dying in plain view. His ability to make solid contact has all but disappeared from his game, and the noisy pop that once separated him from his middle-infield contemporaries is now an inaudible whimper. Everything in his game has taken a step back, and now the player once considered a lock to be a solid major leaguer is now considered a lock to be a solid major league bust.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
Apparently Gordo's dog died last night.

If his dog has been sick and it's been distracting him, I can't blame him at all. Similar to how Dunn's family problems probably contributed to his performance last year.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
If his dog has been sick and it's been distracting him, I can't blame him at all. Similar to how Dunn's family problems probably contributed to his performance last year.

It isn't comparable at all, yes it is sad when your pet dies but if you really think that is enough of a distraction to suck as much as Beckham has he doesn't belong on a roster.

Really? Really?

It's an old pet that died. Not a child.

Holy hell this post is all kinds of wrong.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
If this is true I am deeply saddened for Gordon. I love dogs and am a pet owner myself. They are sure part of the family

I'm sorry, but when I see a post like this I just shake my head. I realize people love their pets, but when you say losing a pet is comparable to losing a family member I know you haven't been anywhere close to the shoes I have walked in. I'm not targeting you personally, just telling it like it really is.