Is Hawk one of the all time greats?

southsider2k5

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 03:21 AM)
Im not in a weird mood, I just think it is funny that you get all bent out of shape all the time about how people criticize your opinion of a certain unnamed person and here you are telling people basically that they should rethink their own opinions about Hawk.

I never get bent out of shape about people disagreeing with me about Ozzeroo. I just stand up for the players/managers I like. I don't get bent out of shape. I just fight back, so to speak. People can hate Hawk all they want. I don't care if they do. But I counter with my opinion that I love he and Stoney.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
If you hate Hawk, you aren't a die hard fan IMO. Not that it's wrong, just my view. But yes, having people go from one extreme to another (even within a fan base) means you are doing something right IMO. That means people have an opinion on what you do and you aren't some vanilla soft serve up there just.

I love Hawk. He IS White Sox baseball. I don't agree with him 100% of the time, but that is why I like him. Makes ya think.

So, dedicating time and money to go to or watch about 130 games a year doesn't make one a die hard Sox fan. Their adoration for Ken Harrelson is what really does it? Hawk is White Sox baseball to you, not me. Hawk makes you think? He hasn't said anything original in 20+ years and he makes you think? Really?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
Hawk's harmless, but annoying. He's all schtick. His catchphrases get old. He repeats the same stories. He doesn't have a whole lot of original insight anymore. He's starting to get a little senile/blind. The "stretch" on routine fly balls is a joke. Most importantly, he tends to speak in absolutes too much. Everything is the best or worst thing ever. He's tempered it with the "he might not be the best ever, but there's none better" line, but it's still grating. I really don't have the same feeling of sentimentality as most of you.

Talk about absolutes...........

Announcers are known for their home run calls. Hawk's known for that as well as DP calls, "should be........rack 'em up", and many more. I was at my friends house watching the game one time and his wife had no idea how we knew exactly what he would say a lot of the time. Maybe some don't like it but I love to say he gone on a strikeout. Or can of corn, or right size, wrong shape, or get foul...it will, thank you very much. To me, its like being with a fan at a game.

As I've said, his ranting about umpires does get old after a while, but the other stuff will never get old to me. I don't mind a Yaz or Catfish story. He loves the White Sox, and knows the game. I personally couldn't ask for more in the booth.

Edited by Dick Allen

I have been watching the White Sox since 1991 (when I was 5 years old), and to be honest, Hawk is really what drew me in to those TV broadcasts, I remember running around my parents house yelling "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD, YESSS!" in my sox shirt and hat every time the Sox hit a home run. His "homer" style is merely one fashion of calling a game for the team that employs him. Hawk could not be a good announcer for another team (save for maybe the Red Sox). Hawk is an entertainer, and a damn good one.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)

Announcers are known for their home run calls. Hawk's known for that as well as DP calls, "should be........rack 'em up", and many more. I was at my friends house watching the game one time and his wife had no idea how we knew exactly what he would say a lot of the time. Maybe some don't like it but I love to say he gone on a strikeout. Or can of corn, or right size, wrong shape, or get foul...it will, thank you very much. To me, its like being with a fan at a game.

As I've said, his ranting about umpires does get old after a while, but the other stuff will never get old to me. I don't mind a Yaz or Catfish story. He loves the White Sox, and knows the game. I personally couldn't ask for more in the booth.

I'm not looking for a WWF style announcer to entertain me with catchphrases.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
I'm not looking for a WWF style announcer to entertain me with catchphrases.

Why not?

At this point, knowledge of the game is easy to obtain. Everyone here at the board, is there ANYTHING an announcer could tell you we don't already know about the game of baseball? I'll take the kitsch.

Just a quick note on Hawk's possibly failing vision.......there has been some evidence this year that he's watching the monitors, not the field. Perhaps out of necessity?

As others have noted, very routine flyballs are getting the HR treatment. His undying hope is now mixing with perhaps some failing physical attributes.

Man, now I wish I had been nicer earlier in the thread.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
Why not?

At this point, knowledge of the game is easy to obtain. Everyone here at the board, is there ANYTHING an announcer could tell you we don't already know about the game of baseball? I'll take the kitsch.

Absolutely. With a good announcer you can learn something new or insightful daily.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)
Just a quick note on Hawk's possibly failing vision.......there has been some evidence this year that he's watching the monitors, not the field. Perhaps out of necessity?

As others have noted, very routine flyballs are getting the HR treatment. His undying hope is now mixing with perhaps some failing physical attributes.

Man, now I wish I had been nicer earlier in the thread.

A lot of announcers will do this.

They watch the monitors so they can judge the location and type of pitch thrown, then pick up the ball live after it has been hit.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)
So, dedicating time and money to go to or watch about 130 games a year doesn't make one a die hard Sox fan. Their adoration for Ken Harrelson is what really does it? Hawk is White Sox baseball to you, not me. Hawk makes you think? He hasn't said anything original in 20+ years and he makes you think? Really?

Really.

Spending money makes you more of a fan? I don't think so. Game attendance doesn't matter much either, I think it's more than that. I bet there are people out there that have been to way less games than I have this year but are bigger fans. I am located (and you too if your name is true) that makes it very easy for us to catch a ton of games. I love baseball and I love going to the games, but I don't think the two are linked to being a bigger fan.

Read what I said, if you HATE Hawk you are not a die hard Sox fan. Once again, I don't think it needs to be stated, but it is my view only. Name me a cutting edge baseball announcer that is saying something original? Most of the guys up there are just so vanilla. Hawk at least tries to be different. I can understand why some people don't like him, but not Sox fans, IMO.

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
Really.

Spending money makes you more of a fan? I don't think so. Game attendance doesn't matter much either, I think it's more than that. I bet there are people out there that have been to way less games than I have this year but are bigger fans. I am located (and you too if your name is true) that makes it very easy for us to catch a ton of games. I love baseball and I love going to the games, but I don't think the two are linked to being a bigger fan.

Read what I said, if you HATE Hawk you are not a die hard Sox fan. Once again, I don't think it needs to be stated, but it is my view only. Name me a cutting edge baseball announcer that is saying something original? Most of the guys up there are just so vanilla. Hawk at least tries to be different. I can understand why some people don't like him, but not Sox fans, IMO.

I didn't realize one's level of fandom correlated with their opinion of the announcer. I can't stand AJ and Beckham either. Alex Rios is my second favorite player. I love Alexei. I loved Frank when everybody hated him. I look back on Albert Belle fondly. Where do I turn in my fan card?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
I didn't realize one's level of fandom correlated with their opinion of the announcer. I can't stand AJ and Beckham either. Alex Rios is my second favorite player. I love Alexei. I loved Frank when everybody hated him. I look back on Albert Belle fondly. Where do I turn in my fan card?

I didn't realize that I had that much power. I guess I should use it for good? :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
So who do you enjoy doing the games? Who is good at it in your view?

Vin Scully is the only announcer better than Hawk. Period ... IMO.

This topic is stupid IMO because if you listen to any other game, you will puke at the announcing. The announcers, selected by the team, are total homers. Yes Hawk is a huge homer, but there is one difference. He also is critical of the White Sox. You find me another homer announcer who is critical. They are not out there. Frank White got replaced cause he was too critical out here. There simply are no good announcing crews. They are boring as hell with the exception of Hawk and Stoney. Stone, however, does shut up when Hawk gets on his rants.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 06:49 AM)

Jones came in to finish the game tonight and I called him Vulture right before Hawk did.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
He isn't even one of the all time "goods", IMO. He's pretty awful.
I'm just getting into this thread so I apologize if you've answered the question, I'm curious as to what baseball announcers past and present have met your approval. Although I may or may not seriously disagree with you, I'm not baiting you in hopes of having a chance to rip you. I'm genuinely curious.