In typical KW fashion, will his big offseason move be A-Rod?

caulfield12

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably take ARod for $10 million a year. Maybe he's not very likeable, but certainly more than Albert Belle, plays a position of need and in a bad year was still at about the same OPS as Adam Dunn. He probaby would hit more homers with home games at USCF as opposed to Yankee Stadium. He also would probably sell a few tickets. I don't think it would happen. But its getting to the point the Yankees and ARod are both going to be looking to get him out of the Bronx. You would have to work out those 5 $6 million bonuses.

The other problem with ARod is he hasn't been able to play 140 games since 2007.

Edited by Dick Allen

hey, a rod should look at it like this he would only get booed by a little over 20,000 compared to a lil over 40,000 fans in NY.. think about it a-rod if the sox bite lol. But you guys are right who woudl take A-Rod they would have to take a huuuuuuuge amount of the contract for it to happen and as much as kenny williams has been criticized he knows he would not even bite on if they did not eat a huge portion of the contract. It's kenny williams background he does not take on full contracts he trys to get money back in trades along with the player or teams paying some type of portion of the contract. A rod is mentally weak we have enough of those guys on the south side already do we need another one?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
I'd probably take ARod for $10 million a year. Maybe he's not very likeable, but certainly more than Albert Belle, plays a position of need and in a bad year was still at about the same OPS as Adam Dunn. He probaby would hit more homers with home games at USCF as opposed to Yankee Stadium. He also would probably sell a few tickets. I don't think it would happen. But its getting to the point the Yankees and ARod are both going to be looking to get him out of the Bronx. You would have to work out those 5 $6 million bonuses.

The other problem with ARod is he hasn't been able to play 140 games since 2007.

I am all in favor in not trying to get A-rod and being more creative with the 3b position or going a different route or even trying to get Youk back, but very highly doubtful Youk will even comeback if not atleast 2 or 3 guaranteed years being a FA. Bottom line is if the sox cannot find no one to fill that position for the right price during off-season and morel is healthy, pretty good chance he will strong shot to get 3b back next year with not much help down in the farm.

as far as for albert belle, he did work for the sox in his two seasons, decent first season for him with the sox at that time 30 homers first season still over 100 rbis and final season with sox 49 bombs 152 rbi's,48 doubles final year with sox and 42 doubles first year with fences farther back then for homers. Who cares about likability just put up numbers, albert belle did that... a-rod being older going to put up half that production and not playing in 140 games since 07 and subpar defense. Not buying he will put a few more fannies in the seats, maybe very very small amount but not going to gain people to buy season tickets.

Edited by onedog#1

QUOTE (Special K @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
Is there any chance we get A-Rod or is this all pure speculation off of that article?

It is pure speculation. It is also speculation based on the fact that we know Kenny made Alex a contract offer during his big free agency run, and he also spent a night at the winter meetings trying to convince Cashman to trade him ARod a few years back.

There would be quite a benefit to having ESPN stalking our every move for the entire duration of A-Rod's tenure here. Imagine the Youk stuff but times 100 and without a previous manager to blame.

A question would be whether you could see him moving to 1B/DH/OF at the end of that contract if he needs to or if it keeps him healthier. Right now his bat seems to have declined more quickly than his fielding, but then again this year may be a blip on the map. Hard to say with all time great players and its hard to say with known substance users.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)
Doesn't Arod have a NTC?

Does it matter, considering the entire city hates him?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
Alex Rodriguez OPS:

2007: 1.067

2008: .965

2009: .933

2010: .847

2011: .823

2012: .783

He will turn 38 next July. PEDs & greenies are illegal. Keep that in mind people.

I want nothign to do with ARod, Buster Olney just said he spoke to a couple of GMs and they said if he was a free agent, he is worth 1 year $5M. He will be traded this offseason that's for sure.

I don't think his has been mentioned yet but here's a thought.

Would you trade Rios for Arod @ the 13 mill Rios would have been owed? Would the Yankees? They look to be giving Swisher the boot too so they could be in the market for a replacement.

It'd be a lot easier to fill a hole in the OF.

Let's get all roided up sign Melky too.

I don't think his has been mentioned yet but here's a thought.

Would you trade Rios for Arod @ the 13 mill Rios would have been owed? Would the Yankees? They look to be giving Swisher the boot too so they could be in the market for a replacement.

It'd be a lot easier to fill a hole in the OF.

Let's get all roided up sign Melky too.

Didn't hear the details, but I thought I caught somebody on Mike & Mike this morning saying that ARod would only waive his NTC to go to Miami, so this may be a pointless discussion.

But yes, I'd trade Rios for Arod, but I think the Yankees would insist that the Sox pay more than $13M per year for him if they have to take on Rios' contract in return.

And I like Rios, but in a terrible year ARod still had an OBP of .353 and in a career year Rios had an OBP of .334. Plus corner OF is one of the easier positions to find some power to replace him.

Exercising the one year option on Youkilis for $13 million makes the most sense to me. Of course, they would likely be overpaying, but the key is avoiding a long term obligation. The marginal cost would actually be $12 million, when taking into consideration the $1 million buy out. Spending 2 or 3 million dollars extra for one season is not that significant. The biggest problem is having a long term commitment to a declining player, on an expensive contract.

Moreover, there is always the motivation factor of having a player who is playing in a contract year. Youklis would be giving it 100%. To me this is a no brainer.

Forget about trying to sign him to a multi-year deal. Take him for one year, and let him walk at the end of the season. In that scenario, couldn't the Sox offer him arbitration, at the end of next season, and get the draft pick?

Edited by Lillian

Exercising the one year option on Youklis for $13 million makes the most sense to me. Of course, they would likely be overpaying, but the key is avoiding a long term obligation. The marginal cost would actually be $12 million, when taking into consideration the $1 million buy out. Spending 2 or 3 million dollars extra for one season is not that significant. The biggest problem is having a long term commitment to a declining player, on an expensive contract.

Moreover, there is always the motivation factor of having a player who is playing in a contract year. Youklis would be giving it 100%. To me this is a no brainer.

Forget about trying to sign him to a multi-year deal. Take him for one year, and let him walk at the end of the season. In that scenario, couldn't the Sox offer him arbitration, at the end of next season, and get the draft pick?

Yes, the Sox could make a qualifying offer to Youk after 2013 and get a draft pick.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)
There would be quite a benefit to having ESPN stalking our every move for the entire duration of A-Rod's tenure here. Imagine the Youk stuff but times 100 and without a previous manager to blame.

A question would be whether you could see him moving to 1B/DH/OF at the end of that contract if he needs to or if it keeps him healthier. Right now his bat seems to have declined more quickly than his fielding, but then again this year may be a blip on the map. Hard to say with all time great players and its hard to say with known substance users.

Does it matter, considering the entire city hates him?

But we would be in the media spotlight again!?!@?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 07:41 AM)
Yes, the Sox could make a qualifying offer to Youk after 2013 and get a draft pick.

Except Youk wouldn't turn down the offer because he knows he isn't getting that amount of money over two years, let alone one, in the free agent market.