Ozzie Guillen, fired

southsider2k5

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 08:35 AM)
No. Because he's contractually bound to work for the Marlins. You cannot work for two teams.

He's not working for the other team. He was fired. He's just contractually obligated to be paid, nothing more.

Edited by witesoxfan

IIRC from another contract discussion, the terms of terminating the contract were probably spelled out and any of the speculations in this thread could be true. Usually the team wants the coach to find another job so they can quit paying him so much, so there is little incentive to keep him on the hook while he does nothing.

I really hope Ozzie grows up. I also have a suspicion that Ozzie drinks a bit too much for his own good. Maybe some help for that would also help.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
IIRC from another contract discussion, the terms of terminating the contract were probably spelled out and any of the speculations in this thread could be true. Usually the team wants the coach to find another job so they can quit paying him so much, so there is little incentive to keep him on the hook while he does nothing.

I really hope Ozzie grows up. I also have a suspicion that Ozzie drinks a bit too much for his own good. Maybe some help for that would also help.

You could be right about the drinking. Or you could be wrong, way wrong. He may just like a beer or two after a game. Just cause he says he gets plastered all the time doesn't mean it's true. He says a lotta things.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
You could be right about the drinking. Or you could be wrong, way wrong. He may just like a beer or two after a game. Just cause he says he gets plastered all the time doesn't mean it's true. He says a lotta things.

yea he says a lot of things like "I like to get drunk and then take sleeping pills"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
yea he says a lot of things like "I like to get drunk and then take sleeping pills"

I don't remember the sleeping pills part but I'll trust you on it. I still say you cannot assume Oz has a drinking problem and it's irresponsible to say that on a public forum. I just went to Black Friday lunch and of the five people there, only one (me) didn't have at least 3 big beers. On a Friday afternoon? I had no beers. They make me sleepy. Drinking is a huge part of society. Do the four guys I was with have a problem?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 08:35 PM)
As long as you were driving, great.

We all left our separate ways. They weren't drunk but in the afternoon, 3 beers, yeah they were probably over the limit. All were married with kids. I can't run people's lives, but people are crazy sometimes re. alcohol.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 08:51 PM)
We all left our separate ways. They weren't drunk but in the afternoon, 3 beers, yeah they were probably over the limit. All were married with kids. I can't run people's lives, but people are crazy sometimes re. alcohol.

Three beers is no big deal in itself. Obviously, if they were driving there's a stupid risk being taken there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
I don't remember the sleeping pills part but I'll trust you on it. I still say you cannot assume Oz has a drinking problem and it's irresponsible to say that on a public forum. I just went to Black Friday lunch and of the five people there, only one (me) didn't have at least 3 big beers. On a Friday afternoon? I had no beers. They make me sleepy. Drinking is a huge part of society. Do the four guys I was with have a problem?

You bring up a interesting point about what is responsible and what is not on a public forum. I believe I clearly stated it was my opinions. My opinion is based on Ozzie's own words and his actions. I'm do not believe it is unfair to take Ozzie's own characterizations about his drinking and blame drinking on some of his bizarre behaviors.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
You bring up a interesting point about what is responsible and what is not on a public forum. I believe I clearly stated it was my opinions. My opinion is based on Ozzie's own words and his actions. I'm do not believe it is unfair to take Ozzie's own characterizations about his drinking and blame drinking on some of his bizarre behaviors.

He essentially stated that, win or lose, he ended up drinking pretty much every night - the win in celebration, the loss in despair.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 04:26 AM)
He essentially stated that, win or lose, he ended up drinking pretty much every night - the win in celebration, the loss in despair.

I remember reading some blog, though, that said no way Ozzie drinks as much as he said. It was more Ozzeroo exaggeration. I'm gonna miss his mouth. He's got no forum any more. He's done all cause of Loria.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)
I remember reading some blog, though, that said no way Ozzie drinks as much as he said. It was more Ozzeroo exaggeration. I'm gonna miss his mouth. He's got no forum any more. He's done all cause of Loria.

If Ozzie's done, he's done because of Ozzie.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 01:44 AM)
If Ozzie's done, he's done because of Ozzie.

I am the first one to say that managers receive too much credit and too much blame. But the bottom line is exactly what YASNY is saying, Ozzie is done because he just has not done a good job in five or six years. His teams are a mess. They consistently under-perform. On top of that he is an embarrassment to organizations.

I like the guy and really hope he gets a job in the broadcast booth. I think he would become a great color guy in the right situation. I also think after a couple years in the booth, a little mellowing, a lot of maturing, he could come back and win another WS with the right team. But right now, he's poison and will not be getting a job in a dugout.

I just don't know how anyone can look at the past few seasons as a whole and not agree his teams are under-performing, lack chemistry, and he's a nightmare for PR.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 08:51 PM)
I am the first one to say that managers receive too much credit and too much blame. But the bottom line is exactly what YASNY is saying, Ozzie is done because he just has not done a good job in five or six years. His teams are a mess. They consistently under-perform. On top of that he is an embarrassment to organizations.

I like the guy and really hope he gets a job in the broadcast booth. I think he would become a great color guy in the right situation. I also think after a couple years in the booth, a little mellowing, a lot of maturing, he could come back and win another WS with the right team. But right now, he's poison and will not be getting a job in a dugout.

I just don't know how anyone can look at the past few seasons as a whole and not agree his teams are under-performing, lack chemistry, and he's a nightmare for PR.

everyone agress.. but one ;)