So what type of 3rd baseman do we need?

balfanman

QUOTE (Baron @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
I have seen nothing to suggest that

There have been reports that he did not particularly care for being in Chicago nor did the team particularly care for him being here. You say all the right things in the public eye but I too do not believe there is a lot of mutual interest in renewing their relationship. It doesn't mean both parties won't explore it.

I'd put Youkilis coming back to the Sox at about 10%.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
There have been reports that he did not particularly care for being in Chicago nor did the team particularly care for him being here. You say all the right things in the public eye but I too do not believe there is a lot of mutual interest in renewing their relationship. It doesn't mean both parties won't explore it.

From all prior reports I had seen, it had seemed that Youkilis was a giant horse's ass off the field, so everything you say sounds about right.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
From all prior reports I had seen, it had seemed that Youkilis was a giant horse's ass off the field, so everything you say sounds about right.

I don't know if I even want him back... not much was made of this but in the middle of an important stretch run in the last 2 weeks (i believe) youkilis missed 3 straight games due to the birth of his child. I understand 1 game, but come on, you got a job and it's the MOST IMPORTANT time to do your job. Not to mention you get paid $13M a year to do your job... No excuses and I don't want to hear any sympathy. Anyone else who tries to compare their job, please dont forget he gets significant off time while the season is over, which ended even earlier due in part to his absence from those games.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)

I see....Ill hold judgement I hear something definitive on that.

QUOTE (Special K @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
I don't know if I even want him back... not much was made of this but in the middle of an important stretch run in the last 2 weeks (i believe) youkilis missed 3 straight games due to the birth of his child. I understand 1 game, but come on, you got a job and it's the MOST IMPORTANT time to do your job. Not to mention you get paid $13M a year to do your job... No excuses and I don't want to hear any sympathy. Anyone else who tries to compare their job, please dont forget he gets significant off time while the season is over, which ended even earlier due in part to his absence from those games.

This did upset quite a few on the ballclub.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
Youkilis might not have liked it but he sure performed well.

Did he? Without looking it up, it seemed like he had a couple good weeks, then tailed off sharply. Not to mention he's pretty awful defensively. He can work a count and hit some homers. I'd rather have a guy who puts the ball in play more and can really pick it though.

3B Free agent list is super thin. I dont want any of these bums.

Miguel Cairo (39)

Eric Chavez (35)

Mark DeRosa (38)

Alberto Gonzalez (30)

Orlando Hudson (35)

Brandon Inge (36)

Maicer Izturis (32)

Adam Kennedy (37)

Jeff Keppinger (33)

Jose Lopez (29)

Casey McGehee (30)

Placido Polanco (37)

Scott Rolen (38)

Drew Sutton (30)

Ty Wigginton (35)

Kevin Youkilis (34)Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/2013...YyvrzzKYs5By.99

Edited by joeynach

The Sox biggest offensive problem as Joe Sheehan pointed out numerous times is that they are a team with decent power, but no team OBP. So when the cold stretches come you get what you saw the last 20 games or so. A bunch of games with 1 or 2 runs on 6 hits. They can't produce enough baserunners naturally, which is why when stuff went bad in Sept you saw RV press, and do things he hadn't done all year before....such as playing every inning with a baserunner for 1 run, sac bunts, straight steals, and hit and runs with power hitters coming up.

The needs to focus on team OBP. They are basically set at LF, CF, RF, SS, 2B, 1B, and DH. So they would be wise to focus on getting the best OBP they can out of their opening at 3B and C. Whether that combo of players is in house, via trade, or via free agency, well thats Hahn's job now, but thats the strategy I would hope the Sox take from an offensive perspective.

I saw most of the Rockies' games this, year, and, boy, do they need pitching. They also have three young infielders who can all play third very well and they can hit. They also have a new GM who is probably afraid to pull the trigger, but one of these three guys would most likely be available for pitching. They are all better than anything we have, including Morel and Youk.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 07:31 PM)

Miguel Cairo (39)

Eric Chavez (35)

Mark DeRosa (38)

Alberto Gonzalez (30)

Orlando Hudson (35)

Brandon Inge (36)

Maicer Izturis (32)

Adam Kennedy (37)

Jeff Keppinger (33)

Jose Lopez (29)

Casey McGehee (30)

Placido Polanco (37)

Scott Rolen (38)

Drew Sutton (30)

Ty Wigginton (35)

Kevin Youkilis (34)Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/2013...YyvrzzKYs5By.99

I like Chavez.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 07:13 PM)
I saw most of the Rockies' games this, year, and, boy, do they need pitching. They also have three young infielders who can all play third very well and they can hit. They also have a new GM who is probably afraid to pull the trigger, but one of these three guys would most likely be available for pitching. They are all better than anything we have, including Morel and Youk.

Could they use Adam Dunn?

The Sox biggest offensive problem as Joe Sheehan pointed out numerous times is that they are a team with decent power, but no team OBP. So when the cold stretches come you get what you saw the last 20 games or so. A bunch of games with 1 or 2 runs on 6 hits. They can't produce enough baserunners naturally, which is why when stuff went bad in Sept you saw RV press, and do things he hadn't done all year before....such as playing every inning with a baserunner for 1 run, sac bunts, straight steals, and hit and runs with power hitters coming up.

The needs to focus on team OBP. They are basically set at LF, CF, RF, SS, 2B, 1B, and DH. So they would be wise to focus on getting the best OBP they can out of their opening at 3B and C. Whether that combo of players is in house, via trade, or via free agency, well thats Hahn's job now, but thats the strategy I would hope the Sox take from an offensive perspective.

You are right, except that the OBP was terrible at LF, SS, and 2B, and only decent at RF. I would not say that they are "set" at those positions. There needs to be a bigger shakeup to the lineup than just replacing Youk and AJ.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 07:31 PM)

Miguel Cairo (39)

Eric Chavez (35)

Mark DeRosa (38)

Alberto Gonzalez (30)

Orlando Hudson (35)

Brandon Inge (36)

Maicer Izturis (32)

Adam Kennedy (37)

Jeff Keppinger (33)

Jose Lopez (29)

Casey McGehee (30)

Placido Polanco (37)

Scott Rolen (38)

Drew Sutton (30)

Ty Wigginton (35)

Don't know much about any of these guys now, but Polanco used to be pretty good. Does anyone know if he still has anything left? Could he be a legit contact hitter and bat 2nd anymore?