Keppinger to Sox 3 yr deal

dmbjeff

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
Indians are offering Youk 2 for $18 million. I'd rather have that than Keppinger, to be honest.

There's nothing wrong with Keppinger, but Youk, even as inconsistent as he was last year, is still a better player.

When you take the extra $5 million a year into consideration, Keppinger is a better fit. I would have rather seen Youk back on a one year overpay, but if Youk is getting a multi-year deal or $12 million from NYY, I'd rather do what we did, even though I am not thrilled about a 3 year deal.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 08:49 PM)
When you take the extra $5 million a year into consideration, Keppinger is a better fit. I would have rather seen Youk back on a one year overpay, but if Youk is getting a multi-year deal or $12 million from NYY, I'd rather do what we did, even though I am not thrilled about a 3 year deal.

It may not be the last thing we do in this area either - do you think?

Did some research on Keppinger today. He's been hitting line drives at a high rate the past two seasons, nearly 25% of his batted balls are line drives, which is something around 5% above the league average. Also, looking at his splits, he never has any awful or unbearable months and is mostly consistent. Also, what's interesting is that Keppinger walked quite a bit in June and July last season, but not much at all in the other months. I think he's your definition of a consistent singles hitter. He also has some power too...I saw some of the home runs he hit last season, many were hard-hit liners.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
Maybe this guy is like Wimpy and blooming late.

Say what?

You also made it a point to mention that Keppinger hit a home run in a game you attended.

Are you serious when you type this stuff? Because if it's all a bit, then you might be the most brilliant poster on the site.

A key stat that hasn't been mentioned: Kep had a .332 BABIP last year. He's at .294 for his career.

He might be good against lefties, but if this is your everyday third baseman, then that's some sorry ass s***.

We're in for a lot more fun in 2013.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
Say what?

You also made it a point to mention that Keppinger hit a home run in a game you attended.

Are you serious when you type this stuff? Because if it's all a bit, then you might be the most brilliant poster on the site.

A key stat that hasn't been mentioned: Kep had a .332 BABIP last year. He's at .294 for his career.

He might be good against lefties, but if this is your everyday third baseman, then that's some sorry ass s***.

We're in for a lot more fun in 2013.

He won the tallest midget contest. $4 million a year isn't going to get you the perfect candidate, but it probably was a better idea than paying Youk 2 or 3 times as much or paying around the same thing for the right to have Eric Chavez on your DL. When it was announced I said I was dissappointed,because I don't think he will match his 2012 season, but if you look at his career, he has had a couple really nice offensive seasons, and his career numbers are very similar to what Youk gave the Sox last year but with fewer homers. Perhaps more contact in the 2 hole can mean more RBI from 3 and 4.

:whichway :whichway

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
He won the tallest midget contest. $4 million a year isn't going to get you the perfect candidate, but it probably was a better idea than paying Youk 2 or 3 times as much or paying around the same thing for the right to have Eric Chavez on your DL. When it was announced I said I was dissappointed,because I don't think he will match his 2012 season, but if you look at his career, he has had a couple really nice offensive seasons, and his career numbers are very similar to what Youk gave the Sox last year but with fewer homers. Perhaps more contact in the 2 hole can mean more RBI from 3 and 4.

People have been b****ing for years about the Sox tendency to 'lift and pull'. Now we sign a line drive type hitter and they're b****ing because he doesn't hit enough HR.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 06:11 PM)

People have been b****ing for years about the Sox tendency to 'lift and pull'. Now we sign a line drive type hitter and they're b****ing because he doesn't hit enough HR.

Must've double clicked on that.

Count me in as super excited about Keppinger. Any player that walks more than he strikes out is Jerksticks approved, and usually on the way to a HoF career (obviously too late here). Single greatest tell-all stat to me, especially when evaluating minor leaguers and MLB success rates; it means the hitter has a chance every at bat to get a hit and can also set up pitchers. I think everybody is gonna frickin love JK.

Exactly. Although we also had Juan Pierre and everybody but a few hated him.